The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 wins in 22 games

McLeish is brilliant etc

Not saying much but its better than his predecessor.

By what, 1 point I think?

I don't know why you keep on going on about McLeish's record being better when there's so little between them. Houllier's gone now, let it go.

we are playing really well away from home that is 6 unbeaten. I think at home the players are too nervous

Exactly... because IMHO there's too many fans down at VP more interested in finding something to moan about than support the team. Our away support is amazing - they were singing their hearts out today even when we were losing.

As a season ticket holder and someone who goes to 90% of away games this is spot on. The negativity at home from some so called supporters is there before a ball has been kicked and it takes next to **** all for the moaning and groaning to start. Away from home we, the fans, are superb and really get behind the lads and that support, combined with not getting on the lads back as happens at home, seems to be paying dividends away from home.

People will moan whatever the bloke does, when I was told Clark was left back, Gardner in the middle, I was pleased. Whatever anyone says, that was not a negative line up and appears as if we went for the win. Dont rate the manager, but credit where it is due
To be honest I'm normally happy with his line-ups, it's how he sets them up that bothers me. He clearly got it right today but all too often he plays an attacking line up but sets them up defensively.

we are playing really well away from home that is 6 unbeaten. I think at home the players are too nervous

Exactly... because IMHO there's too many fans down at VP more interested in finding something to moan about than support the team. Our away support is amazing - they were singing their hearts out today even when we were losing.

That's an interesting view, Julie, and certainly one to consider.

However, can you or anyone explain to me why this season's entire record at home has been so poor? Especially when we might consider how Villa finished off at the end of last season (though Ash and Downing having since left does make a difference).

To have started poorly at VP and then only let it get worse is not what VP is about. These players are paid too much not to take responsibility - in the old days they would fight to get what they could out of a match, but now they appear to be pussy cats by comparison.

I'd be the first to admit that some of the senior players in the squad have been found wanting - but people need to remember we have alot of young players coming through - they haven't got the experience to just brush negativity off. Watching Keane today - he made more then a couple of bad passes today - but he didn't let it get to him that he'd conceded possession to the opposition - he just got his head down and scored a couple of pearlers from outside the box.

THE young players haven't got the same old heads - and surely need MORE encouragement than criticism. We had SEVEN academy graduates in the squad today and one of our ex graduates probably scored goal of the season at Sunderland.

I'm not sure McLeish is the answer but while he's here we need to get behind him and the team at Home not just away from Villa Park.

6 wins in 22 games

McLeish is brilliant etc

I genuinely dont know why im bothering with this but here goes.....

no one is saying Mcliesh is brilliant. No one is suggesting we havent got work today. Infact the most people have said really is that it was a good win.

The reason why it seems like we are giving such praise is because were debating against such unnecessary negativity that is frankly innacurate and not needed.

There is nothing wrong with saying that for 90 minutes today, the team (who we are all far from happy with) did their jobs well.

I'm even less positive than that. I think there were same embarrassing foul ups today. But I'm glad we won. And more to the point, like you, I'm incredibly tired of those whose mcleish hatred prevent them from seeing anything positive.

The team were **** awful in the first half. If Wolves took their chances better they could have been 5 up and that's just the first half. It was a scrappy win. it wasn't exactly composed was it? We needed Frimpong off (their best player), a man sent off and 2 Hollywood goals to get the winner. We didn't exactly break Wolves defence down very well, where as Wolves did it extremely well in the first half.

Look., I'm happy with a win , but I'm not going to treat this like an FA Cup victory. I'll be more thrilled when we win at least 3 games in a row. We haven't managed one back to back league win at the moment.

6 wins in 22 games

McLeish is brilliant etc

Not saying much but its better than his predecessor.

By what, 1 point I think?

I don't know why you keep on going on about McLeish's record being better when there's so little between them. Houllier's gone now, let it go.

Its by 4 points. I'm just pointing out amongst all the doom and gloom that although its not saying much, given how crap Houllier was, that McLeish currently has the better record.

I'll also go on about what the **** I like pal. Its called freedom of speech.

The team were **** awful in the first half. If Wolves took their chances better they could have been 5 up and that's just the first half. It was a scrappy win. it wasn't exactly composed was it? We needed Frimpong off (their best player), a man sent off and 2 Hollywood goals to get the winner. We didn't exactly break Wolves defence down very well, where as Wolves did it extremely well in the first half.

Look., I'm happy with a win , but I'm not going to treat this like an FA Cup victory. I'll be more thrilled when we win at least 3 games in a row. We haven't managed one back to back league win at the moment.

I agree. Nobody is not happy with this win.

Personally I'm just wary about the QPR game. Last time we got a good away win we followed it up with an absolutely terrible home defeat to Swansea.

I have been thinking and realized that I often don't post the negatives I do see because of a group of negative posters.

For example, how many times has mcleish been slammed for being negative in his tactics? Today he puts on a sub to possess the ball rather than a tall defender to clear it out of the box and the same negative posters that complained of his negativity accuse him of being stupid for not putting on a defender and packing it in.

I'd be the first to admit that some of the senior players in the squad have been found wanting - but people need to remember we have alot of young players coming through - they haven't got the experience to just brush negativity off. Watching Keane today - he made more then a couple of bad passes today - but he didn't let it get to him that he'd conceded possession to the opposition - he just got his head down and scored a couple of pearlers from outside the box.

THE young players haven't got the same old heads - and surely need MORE encouragement than criticism. We had SEVEN academy graduates in the squad today and one of our ex graduates probably scored goal of the season at Sunderland.

I'm not sure McLeish is the answer but while he's here we need to get behind him and the team at Home not just away from Villa Park.

Julie, today's team had virtually the same experienced team as it has had all season, except that Warnock didn't start and Gardner coming in. But let's discount today as injuries and illness affected the selection - even though Gardner was one of the better players!

No, I can't accept the youth argument - there are not enough of 'em to regard them as being the issue i.m.h.o.

As for getting behind the team - that's (as I've said) a perspective that is interesting and may be valid except that I only back the team if I see they're trying. I have not seen too much evidence of method or trying this season - which I presume is down to methods that McLeish is using.

And also I feel that many cannot stand the thought of McLeish being around after this season (not because of his Blews connection) - so there's some motivation for minimising the reasons for keeping him. I feel AM was a badly advised appointment and that Villa should have a manager that the fans can respect based on his previous record - even if he came from the lower division.

I do sympathise with your view, but it is the manager that's the underlying problem I think.

I should think McLeish should have a better record considering he had pre season.. but a small difference is all it is and that in itself is quite telling for a manager who has had the advantage compared to one that did not.

Anyway I don't know why people are comparing.. both haven't sorted the set piece situation out and in fact McLeish comes out worse in this because he said he will work on it when clearly he hasn't - so not only hasn't he sorted it he is actually lying to the fans too.

I should think McLeish should have a better record considering he had pre season.. but a small difference is all it is and that in itself is quite telling for a manager who has had the advantage compared to one that did not.

Anyway I don't know why people are comparing.. both haven't sorted the set piece situation out and in fact McLeish comes out worse in this because he said he will work on it when clearly he hasn't - so not only hasn't he sorted it he is actually lying to the fans too.

I think you're forgetting the fact that the previous manage also had Ashley young and Stewart downing playing for him.

His predecessor of course had the luxury of Ash and Downing and to a much lesser extent Reo Coker and Carew. Of course he also had the luxury of spending 30 mill in the January transfer window where as McLeish had to work with a transfer deficit of - 20 mill.

In all fairness it is setting the bar extremely low to compare McLeish to a manager that took 23 points in his first 22 games and overall only 33 points from his 28 games in charge.

It is an improvement though and I am sure we all hope at the very minimum these small improvements can be built upon.

I think you're forgetting the fact that the previous manage also had Ashley young and Stewart downing playing for him.

I'm well aware of it thanks this current manager has got N'Zogbia in to replace one of those that he thought was a suitable replacement .. he may be missing that extra "class" winger but that's no excuse for the shambles of football on display or the goals conceded via set pieces.

McLeish is a step down from Houllier. Their points totals are barely any different at this stage of the season but what you have to take into the equation is that McLeish has had a full pre-season and a chance to sign his own players (albeit he hasn't had a great deal to spend, thank God) and no injury crisis.

We did well under Houllier in the second half of the season and I was looking forward to seeing what he could've done. Unfortunately he never got that chance and we ended up with McLeish. While I would love to see him go on a similar upturn of form like Houllier did last year I just can't see it.

If we win our next two games do you promise to cheer up? :)

Credit where credit's due that we addressed our weaknesses from the first half at half time, and weren't broken down in the 2nd half??

It is an improvement though and I am sure we all hope at the very minimum these small improvements can be built upon.

I've heard that throughout the season and we haven't improved on it.. why are you and others willing to give him a go despite him lying about the set pieces and the shambolic football on display?

We've won at Chelsea and lost straight after to Swansea, I wouldn't count on anything improving.

Â