Madden 12

Dante_Lockhart

Demo is out, and it's ace. So much better game play than the past ones. The player movement and collisions are a lot more realistic, and in general the game plays a lot smoother. I can't wait for the full game to come out so I can get my Franchise on with Baltimore and our revamped run game.

To be honest it's pretty user friendly.

As long as you know the basics (and if you don't then it will only take a few games to cotton on) you'll be fine.

Playing Madden was how I got into American Football. I didn't know anything, played the game round a mates, picked up the game myself and now I'd like to think I know a fair bit about it. Watching games helps loads too. Here's a few tips;

1st/2nd/3rd/4th down: Downs are basically the amount of plays you have until you turn over the ball. You start out needing 10 yards, once you get those 10 yards you get another 1st down. However, a penalty or negative play can tack on yards. So let's say on 1st and 10 (the number is how many yards you need to get another 1st), you get sacked for -3 yards. Now it's going to be 2nd (because you didn't get the ten yards you needed) and 13. Now you need 13 yards to get another first down. Let's say you're on 1st and 10, and you get 14 yards. Now you have the 1st down +4 extra yards. Now you will have a 1st and 10 where the ball was downed. Downs and yardage needed are one big step towards understanding football.

Offense: The 'offense' consists of the Quarterback who throws the ball. Wide Receivers catch, sometimes block. Tight ends also catch and sometimes block. Linemen who always block. Halfback and Fullback run, catch and block. The offense are the ones trying to get 1st downs and score touchdowns. Whilst playing the game shows you the routes these players will take so you should always know what direction to run in and which receivers to throw to.

Defence: Defence have to try and stop the offense from scoring points. Defence consists of Cornerbacks who defend against wide receivers mainly. Linemen who usually try to rush the QB and sack him. Linebackers who stand behind the linemen, can be used to rush the qb or defend against the pass. Safeties play deep in the field and are kind of a 'last defence'. This is probably the hardest part of Madden to master. There are so many different plays you can make (coverage, man, blitz) but the understanding will come in time. When starting out I'd use the 'Gameplan' system where the computer recommends which defence to run.

Special teams: Any time special teams come out, it's to either kick a field goal or kick the ball to the other team. Usually if you go 3 plays without getting the 10 yards you need you will punt the ball back to the opposition so you gain some field advantage. You might kick a field goal depending where you are on the field.

Touchdown: Touchdown is when the ball carrier breaks the 'end zone' plain. This can be accomplished through running into it or catching the ball while inside it. Touchdowns are 6 points.

Field goal: A kick from anywhere on the field. Field goals made are 3 points.

Extra point: A field goal kick after a touchdown from a pre-determined spot. Extra points are 1 point.

Penalty: Breaking a 'rule' within the game will result in a penalty. There are MANY rules, and you'll need to watch football to really just learn them easily. A lot of them can be user fault (offside for example. If your defender breaks the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped you will incur a penalty) - some of them the computer will do themselves and can't be avoided (facemask penalty)

Turn over: A turn over refers to when the team on offense makes a mistake (usually) and gives the ball to the other team. An interception is a turn over (the defender catching the ball instead), so is a fumble (dropping the ball before you're officially down) and if the defending team recovers it.

There are 4 quarters in football. Each quarter is 15 minutes long. Overtime will be played after all 4 quarters are over if both teams have the same score. (obviously in the game you can tune down the length so the game doesn't go on for an hour. 5-6 minutes is ample)

That's about the start of football lingo. If you study and understand some of that stuff, you're moving forward in your journey of football logic.

• 4 weeks later...

Really getting into the ultimate team mode, a lot of fun wheeling and dealing to build your team and collect the cards. I have acquired a few quality players - Josh Freeman, Tramon Williams, Brian Orakpo but i dont use them and keep the team ovr down to low 70's, its a lot more fun and imo is a fairer matchup.

Good finding players in the 60-75ovr range that are fun to play with. QB Dan LeFevour, RB Montario Hardesty, WR Brett Swain is a great slot receiver. TE Will Heller is a beast also, great down the seam and catches everything! OLB Jamar Chaney and ILB Greg Jones are some pretty good mid to high 60's ovr backers too.

New roster update is out now too so will start the franchise mode soon.

Ultimate team is infuriating. Great concept, poorly executed. I've just reached my 15th game and I've lost 12 first team players now as their contracts have run out, also have 4 players injured. I've got no contract or injury cards unless I buy a cheap pack which I don't want to do as the player cards are worthless.

I think its just you not managing it properly. You can buy extension and injury contracts for 600 coins, very cheap.

Who is your HC? I think that might have an impact on injuries etc because i dont really have any now i use Harbaugh, Wisenhunt and TC who are all in the 80s where as i had a lot more when i was using 55ovr Jack Del Rio.

If you go to card deals they are on sale at face value, i.e. 600 coins for a bronze, 1500 for a silver and 3000 for a gold.

I get bronze cards though, a gold card extends a gold player for 10 games where as a bronze card extends a gold player for 4 so for the same amount of coints you get twice as much!

I now have Walter Payton and Barry Sanders after completing the stadium collections. Its great going into a game with a 77ovr team that has Payton at RB with an mid level oline, scrub QB and WR's i.e. 60's and low 70's ovr and then a Dline of Suh, JPP, Long and one of the Colts DT's and just dominating.

Last three games i have shut people out. There is some great talent in the game that is high 60's and low 70's ovr.

SS Nakamura of the Ravens has been awesome for me, 66ovr. WR Brett Swain of the pack is a solid slot guy with great hands and is really strong, 66ovr also iirc. OLB Jamar Chaney of the Eagles is quick and plays good enough in zone coverage for me, 69ovr. K David Buheller(sp?) of the Cowboys and P Matt Dodge have cannon legs so are awesome to use.

Will Heller who you get at TE to start is awesome and QBs Levi Brown/Dan LeFevor.

All im doing on defense at the moment is running a cover 3 against most offenses unless they go 4 wide and then controlling Suh up the middle who is just a force! 4 sacks the one game, great fun.

Â