Gym Routine

olboydave

getting pains in my shoulders when im doing the overhead press a shooting pain .....I take it thats a bad pain or a good pain ?....It totally zaps me of any energy during the set 

Could be form, although for some people overhead pressing is just not agreeable with their joints. Personally I do overhead pressing movements once every two weeks, if I did it every week I'd be in trouble.

My bench fluctuates quite a lot. My lifting ability tends to depend on how fatigued I am from other activities at the time. I deliberately keep a few days between shoulder/tricep workouts and bench pressing.

Quite cheesed off at the moment as i've had to take a 3 day break from the gym due to unforseen circumstances. Not enjoying this at all.

I did my 5k on Sunday. I was pretty happy to finish in just under 37 minutes when I discovered (since I start in the back with the slow people) I didn't cross the start until 2 minutes in, so I did it in just under 35 minutes. Made me mega happy. Roofing for 7 hours with family on the other hand killed me more than any work out. I hate it! If you are a roofer I salute you. It's awful work. Then in todays workout, I was killed. I did it though. Way too many box step ups and lunges.

Have any of you lot ever experimented with the Paleo Diet? I already go to the gym 7 days a week and usually lift 4/5 of those days, but was just looking for a little something different to introduce into my routine. From what I have read, most people seem to like the diet and so I thought I'd see if any here have any input on it. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 1

getting pains in my shoulders when im doing the overhead press a shooting pain .....I take it thats a bad pain or a good pain ?....It totally zaps me of any energy during the set 

Could be form, although for some people overhead pressing is just not agreeable with their joints. Personally I do overhead pressing movements once every two weeks, if I did it every week I'd be in trouble.

I had the same problem, wasn't angeling my elbows right when benching. Usually felt the pain while doing rows or overhead press, when the pain shot in I was unable to complete the sets. Even if I threw off a couple of kilos I'd still struggle.

However, since improving my form on the bench it hasn't been a problem. Think there was a video posted a few pages back which helped me.

I'm about to commit gym thread suicide here... but I don't quite see the gym-wide fascination with deadlifts and squats. Sure they're important, but it's all people seem to talk about. I get them in once a week, but I'm not particularly good at them and would rather concentrate on my benching and pull ups in honesty. As far as I'm concerned, they're equally, if not more, valuable when it comes to sculpting the figure you want.

The thinking with squats is that because you're working such an enormous muscle (no, not the penis), the thigh muscle, your body releases way more testosterone into the system in order to build it. And that testosterone builds everything else too while it's at it. So it's like a legal cheat of body building goodness to be exploited by every other part of the body.

As for deadlifts. Isn't it just that they pretty much literally work every muscle in the body once you're lifting a decent weight. Nothing comes close to them per lift.

• Like 1

The thinking with squats is that because you're working such an enormous muscle (no, not the penis), the thigh muscle, your body releases way more testosterone into the system in order to build it. And that testosterone builds everything else too while it's at it. So it's like a legal cheat of body building goodness to be exploited by every other part of the body.

As for deadlifts. Isn't it just that they pretty much literally work every muscle in the body once you're lifting a decent weight. Nothing comes close to them per lift.

I knew all that, my post was just a clever attempt to irk Stevo back into posting.

Not really, I didn't know that at all. On that basis - is it best to get your squats in at the start of your routine? May well up my squats on the back of this advice. Cheers BOF.

I knew all that, my post was just a clever attempt to irk Stevo back into posting.

:D Almost worked.

is it best to get your squats in at the start of your routine? May well up my squats on the back of this advice. Cheers BOF.

TBH I tended to do them last. Remember the testosterone is still working long after you've left the gym too, so it's not like the order of your exercises in the gym will dictate your overall growth. If anything, I ordered my exercises so that I wasn't totally knackered for each one. If I squatted first I wouldn't have enough in the tank to do anything else effectively. Such is the amount of muscles it tires.

Squat progression and lunge progression are used in almost every work out for me. And my legs STILL feel like they might fall off half the time. It is a really good exercise.  

Packo, if I didn't have someone telling me I had to do them. I never would.

• Like 1

Squat progression and lunge progression are used in almost every work out for me. And my legs STILL feel like they might fall off half the time. It is a really good exercise.  

Packo, if I didn't have someone telling me I had to do them. I never would.

ya trying to work the day after some heavy squats .....not good

Â