Gym Routine

olboydave

My 1rm PR is 155kg.

>tfw not as strong as wolverine.

It's annoying because I never attempted 1RMs :(  I was always doing the stronglifts programme so I don't know what I could lift and I'm unlikely to get back to that level any time soon.

Could be.  You think they'd snap his top weight for publicity though wouldn't you; knowing this kind of chat would happen.

Yesterday's lesson.  Never deadlift with a sore knee.  Not because of the knee itself; that was fine.  But because you unknowingly compensate for it and tweak your back instead :(  Luckily it was only a tester set @ 110kg.  In better news I'm already benching 70kg so I maintain even after 2 months out you don't lose too much strength at all; just definition.

• Like 1

Nice work.

Even if you did lose strength, muscle memory would ensure you'd gain it back a lot quicker than you had to gain it the first time round, so you'd still be alright.

Sorry to hear about the back. I've tweaked mine deadlifting before and it isn't fun at all.

Edited by Stevo985

I didn't even go in intending to deadlift.  I was pendlay rowing at the time and was feeling good so thought to myself 'what if ...'.  Shouldn't have done it.  I don't want to be a crock for the big Rovers v Villa weekend.

BOF - How have you found getting back into the Gym after 2 months off?

I'm going to have to be away from from the gym for over 3 months next year, and I'm already dreading the possibility of losing all my progress over the past couple of years.

Because of the knee injury I am going in on my own limited programme.  I'm not warming up with cardio because pretty much all cardio affects the knee to some degree (I used to row).  I also can't squat.  So I'm mainly doing a lot of bench press (now including incline/decline which I never did), pendlay row and overhead.  Then skull crusher for triceps and maybe some bicep isolation.  That's it.  The way I see it is it's better to do what I'm doing than to not go at all, even if I am clearly not hitting every group.

I've found that I'm out of breath easier but that I'm still probably 85-90% as strong as I was, which is great.  Genuinely the main difference is 'in the mirror'.

Because of the knee injury I am going in on my own limited programme.  I'm not warming up with cardio because pretty much all cardio affects the knee to some degree (I used to row).  I also can't squat.  So I'm mainly doing a lot of bench press (now including incline/decline which I never did), pendlay row and overhead.  Then skull crusher for triceps and maybe some bicep isolation.  That's it.  The way I see it is it's better to do what I'm doing than to not go at all, even if I am clearly not hitting every group.

I've found that I'm out of breath easier but that I'm still probably 85-90% as strong as I was, which is great.  Genuinely the main difference is 'in the mirror'.

That's good to hear. I think I've approached Stevo on the topic before and he said much the same. It may be psychological, but I find that even a 2 week break can knock me back a bit.

Did some HIIT running today, jesus is it tiring. I was knackered after 5 minutes.

I do it 3 or 4 times a week. HIIT that is, not running. I usually use a bike.

The best cardio for shedding fat, imo. It works, and 15-20 minutes and you're done. You don't have to slog away for 45 minutes to an hour like you should do with LISS.

Yeah, I've been doing regular distance running up till now, then I read that HIIT is much better for fat loss and overall toning. It was definitely more taxing than normal running, and like you said takes half as long so I'll be sticking to HIIT from now on.

What kind of ab work do you do? Aside from squats and dead lifts I'll do sit-ups as well, but I read all the time that they're bad for your back and I already have a dodgy back as it is.

Nothing direct.

Occasionally I'll do some crunches or leg raises. But I don't really see it as important, personally.

When you can actually see my abs (which won't be long now I hope!) then I might put some more work in.

Yeah, I've been doing regular distance running up till now

Distance running will be pretty detrimental to muscle gains, if you're hitting the weights in the gym (can't remember if you are, but seeing as we're in that thread...)

I've been off the gym since the turn of the year and now the missus is back into full time work I'm gonna join up again.

Not gonna go straight into the weights I was lifting before, that would be mental, but I'm thinking about starting at 60% of what I was.

Good idea?

Â