Gym Routine

olboydave

You only go back to 55 after the third consecutive workout fail. So if you failed on Wednesday (10th) you won't be going to 55 until you've failed on the 15th and the 19th aswell, so Wednesday 24th at the earliest. But I bet you won't fail on all 3. And FYI your fail is about the same as my own first fail. The 60kg mark is the first breakthrough. Keep it up, you'll feel fantastic being able to put a 20 on each side.

I used to weight train a lot 8-10 years ago at WIS in Cardiff, I played semi pro rugby so did 3 sessions of weights a week with a lot of heavy weights in the off season. I was over 18 and a half stone but I am only 5 ft 9 inches tall, PR on bench was 150 kg, squat 220 kg, dead lift 190 kg.

220kg squat is insane!

I thought my head was going to explode, the gym I used to train in was full of power lifters and people training for strong man comps so 220 kg  was not that heavy.  I remember I was doing squats at 200 kg and a guy used it after me to warm up with.

I thought my head was going to explode, the gym I used to train in was full of power lifters and people training for strong man comps so 220 kg was not that heavy. I remember I was doing squats at 200 kg and a guy used it after me to warm up with.

Yeah I guess it depends on perspective. I've got a power cage at home now but when I went to a commercial gym and I never saw anybody else squat with more than 120kg.

And 50% of people in the weights bit were Mr. Chest only they weren't benching anything like 250kg.

Edited by ArteSuave

I thought my head was going to explode, the gym I used to train in was full of power lifters and people training for strong man comps so 220 kg was not that heavy. I remember I was doing squats at 200 kg and a guy used it after me to warm up with.

Yeah I guess it depends on perspective. I've got a power cage at home now but when I went to a commercial gym and I never saw anybody else squat with more than 120kg.

And 50% of people in the weights bit were Mr. Chest only they weren't benching anything like 250kg.

He had a massive chest, be used to wear the bottoms that a lot of power lifters wear really baggy so you could not tell what condition his legs were in, I really wanted to find out if he had chicken legs.

Im new to the site (posting wise), never thought my first post would be in this thread. Ive been back in the gym for about 3 weeks after about a year of not going and I didnt play football last season. My job allows me no routine and Ive had to cancel on football training on Sunday and Tuesday this week. 

I do 3 sets of 12 with 15 seconds breaks in between. Im already noticing the difference and I know that it works as ive done it before. I use a lot of compound exercises, any one got any advice to get fitter quicker? 

Overall aim is shifting the flab and getting back to fitness then ill start back on the muscle growth. 

If fat loss is your goal then diet is your best tool.

Doesn't matter how much work you do in the gym, if you're eating poorly you won't lose the weight.

Stuff you do in the gym is obviously important too, but your diet is key.

From experience I know that a lack of a routine (as Nicho says he has) can play havoc with your diet as it means you eat at irregular intervals and can struggle to (pre-)prepare proper meals and means you play catch-up a lot. If I was to guess I'd say that's the biggest hurdle. Start cooking volumes of healthy stuff you can freeze.

The personal trainers at my gym are so **** clueless.

Yesterday I saw one of them getting a bloke to do press up against the wall.

As in, he was standing upright, hands against the wall, pushing his body away from he wall and then back in.

Looked like the most pointless exercise ever. The PT was just phoning it in

The PT at my gym seems really clued up and professional. He gets all the women (his main client base) doing squats and other compound exercises. I've actually pinched his routine and taught it to my missus. 

Â