Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Agree that we need to look to the future I just think its a shame he is not at the club, in my opinion it was the Man city take over that resigned him to the fact that its implausible to take a club in to the top four unless you have a trillion pounds to spend.

Which is the main point - you can only really get in to the CL if you have that kind of money regardless of which manager you have in charge, which is a sad thing!

THE FACT FIGURES AND STATS prove this

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He shouldn't be immune from criticism just because his spent money and I certainly don't respect the football decisions his made since he mishandled the MON sitaution.

Also, why has he made Paul Faulkner CEO of Villa? Where's his football qualifications? What actually qualifies him to be a CEO in general? I'm not gonna respect that decision either.

But overall, I'm still on his side because of the things his done in the past, but in terms of football decisions, he still remains questionable.

the thing is, i was under the impression that when looking for a manager back in august, Randy and Faulkner realised they lacked "football experience". so they hired a group of headhunters to advise them. i also thought that we took advice from people such as graham taylor and sven. assuming the above is correct, then imo they handled it as well as it could have been. at the time, houllier probably was the best choice on paper. i do not believe that someone like moyes or jol was going to leave their club at that point (days before the season began) whatever we offered. in hindsight it has been the wrong choice, but i dont think anyone thought it would be this bad.

where i will be critical is if they keep Houllier as manager and Macallister as assistant for next season. the board have given that pair every chance, spent big money and they still havent got it right. I hope they do not dither about it either - the moment the final whistle goes against Liverpool Macallister should be sacked. Im convinced he is the real problem-every manager needs a good no2 to get his ideas across to the players and its clear mac is not that guy. There were rumours earlier in the season that he is the cause of discontent between management and players. Since he has been in sole charge we look worse than ever. The guy is a jinx- he has ruined every club he has managed. I will always wonder if we would have been this bad if GH had got his first choice in patrice bergues. my uncle and cousin support liverpool and they reckon he was a massive part of GH's success there.

that said, i cant see houllier coming back. i just can't imagine he would risk it, and that his wife and family would let him. And Im not sure i want us to let him have the choice to be honest. Aside from whether you like/hate him and what he has done here, given recent events us asking him to continue in what is a highly stressful job is totally wrong and unfair imo. I would hope we see an amicable parting of ways due to health issues or whatever soon after the final game. Although it wouldnt surprise me if GH moved upstairs into a head of scouting role or something. We havent got a chief scout at the moment, the scouting network still needs work, and GH supposedly still has good contacts and a lot of respect in the football world, particularly abroad.

Agree that we need to look to the future I just think its a shame he is not at the club, in my opinion it was the Man city take over that resigned him to the fact that its implausible to take a club in to the top four unless you have a trillion pounds to spend.

Which is the main point - you can only really get in to the CL if you have that kind of money regardless of which manager you have in charge, which is a sad thing!

I agree that money is a huge factor, but I look at Wenger, who is an extraordinary manager, who hasn't spent billions at Arsenal, and just hope that we can find and attract a manager that can do the same for us.

I've got it from a very reliable source that McAllister will be offered the job permanently.

When I say reliable source I mean the shitbag who has so far made this the crappest season I have ever experienced as a Villa fan, so why stop now.

GMAC for manager!!!!! Heskey for Captain!!!!

we need someone who is fresh and new not rafa he will be houllier mk2. there needs to be a buzz around villa park again for the next season that will not happen with the management now. david moyes will do that he will motivate the players, get the right players in and the right ones going out,also knows how to build a good scouting network like he has at everton and he has age on his side to build a bright future at AVFC.

RANDY PAY WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET DAVID MOYES IN!!!!!!!!!

MOYES MOYES MOYES MOYES!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that money is a huge factor, but I look at Wenger, who is an extraordinary manager, who hasn't spent billions at Arsenal, and just hope that we can find and attract a manager that can do the same for us.[/quote

Thats exacly the point - He has not spent big in the last 5 years and they have not won anything - ask the arsenal fans!

Its about money and not a lot more....!

He's still consistently at the top of the league and challenging in every competition season in and out. I reckon if it werent for Barca (one of the best teams I've seen in my lifetime), Arsenal would have won the CL under Wenger. And he is also one of Arsenal's most successful ever managers, although a lot of his trophies were won before the big bucks came into the league.

It doesn't matter how we've been this season, it's how we will be in the future, and I believe that MON wouldn't have taken us much further. We all know we've been bad this season, but we can't compare this season with a season when MON was at his peak at Villa.

Do you even believe most of what you typed?

Of course O'Neill had his faults and yes this season with way he left was always going to be difficult or transitional of sorts but make no mistake this season has been well beyond acceptable whatever way you look at it and even i at my most cynical never envisaged just how shit Houllier and co would have done .

Do you honestly think Houllier / GMac will surpass what O'Neill (despite his faults) ever manged ?

Madness imo .

and a belief based on nothing .

IMO the extent of this miserable season should not be brushed under carpet

We've taken big , big steps back imo .

Think its time to cut our losses .

What I meant there was it doesn't matter how we've been this season with regards to the future. I just said it wrong as I'm not great with saying what I mean.

David Moyes has surpassed what O'Neill achieved. Houllier has a better CV than Moyes. I do not believe that Houllier will surpass O'Neill's near successes, but I believe that there is a possibility, like there is with everything, and that if he were given a chance he would do a lot better than this season.

He's still consistently at the top of the league and challenging in every competition season in and out. I reckon if it werent for Barca (one of the best teams I've seen in my lifetime), Arsenal would have won the CL under Wenger. And he is also one of Arsenal's most successful ever managers, although a lot of his trophies were won before the big bucks came into the league.

So are you saying they should have an open bus parade for there consitancy at being at the top of league but not actually winning it.......?!

Well I reckon if it wasn't for Manchester United last year we would of won the league cup....!

I am not saying its all down to money but the majority of it is!

I would love David Moyes but I really dont think he will take a downstairs move to a club that are going to sell there best players, have to reduce there wage bill and not be able to compete in the transfers market with as much money as the top 5...!

Yes, I said they should have an open bus parade....

I reckon if Wenger were our manager, he could lead us to the top 4, and I wouldn't be complaining.

Would you reject Wenger as manager if he wanted to come to us then?

And if you want facts and statistics, he's brought success to Arsenal without spending billions of pounds. My mate's an Arsenal fan, he's not complaining. He gets frustrated at the lack of silverware, but financially they're very strong, they have a fantastic new stadium and great foundations for the future.

Yeah, what about them? My original point was it can be done. The facts and the figures prove that Arsenal are a top 4 club and haven't spent billions to get there. I said a good manager could potentially get us in the top four. A good scouting network, some good cheap signings and a manager that knows how to manage could well get us there, regardless of how much money we spend.

Money is a major, major factor in the Premier League atm, I'm not doubting that for one second. What I am saying is that a great manager, with Lerner's resources, could get us into the top 4. However near impossible it may seem.

In my opinion I think we would have had a poor season like this even with MON in charge. There's a reason he walked and this season was it. He got out at the right time to save his CV.

No **** way would we have been flirting with relegation if MON has stayed. Not a chance. He may have left in part to save his CV, but whilst we may have gone backwards, I very much doubt we'd have even dropped out of the top half.

In my opinion I think we would have had a poor season like this even with MON in charge. There's a reason he walked and this season was it. He got out at the right time to save his CV.

No **** way would we have been flirting with relegation if MON has stayed. Not a chance. He may have left in part to save his CV, but whilst we may have gone backwards, I very much doubt we'd have even dropped out of the top half.

This. We are now on 42 points which would equal our worst points total in a 38 game Prem season with Arsenal and Liverpool to play. Last season we achieved our best ever points total in a 38 game Prem season. We lost Milner, gained Ireland, Bent and Makoun. No way should the drop be so drastic.

PatrickCousens wrote:

sellyoakvilla wrote:

This. We are now on 42 points which would equal our worst points total in a 38 game Prem season with Arsenal and Liverpool to play. Last season we achieved our best ever points total in a 38 game Prem season. We lost Milner, gained Ireland, Bent and Makoun. No way should the drop be so drastic.

I reckon MON would have definately kept us in the top half, probably even top 7 or 8. It was his team this season, he had some players here who would run through a brick wall for him. We did show signs of getting worse at the end of last season, but we wouldn't be in this position if he were still here.

We will never know but you cannot guarantee we would not be flirting with relegation under a manager who left an evident sinking ship to save his CV.

The majority of the trouble behind the scenes that has gone on this season was happening in pre-season and even towards the end of last season so some of the hate towards Houllier is a little unnecessary as I think some of you will find it was your favourite manager ever MON who caused quite a bit of it. Players hated him. Staff hated him. He was very much a short term manager who was never going to last longer than five years at the club - he would purchase players who were the wrong side of 30, or approaching 30, and barely plan for the future. And now look what we've been left with - just to name a few a 40 year old goalkeeper, a clueless CB who is more interested in pies and pints and a bunch of over paid average players on 40k+ a week resulting in 80% of our turnover going out on wages.

At least some of the troublemakers are out of the club now.