Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Rafa over Hughes any day.
Why?

because every time he inherits a Houllier squad the team win the Champions League :winkold:

I don't like Rafa and wouldn't really want him here but I can't stand Hughes and definitely don't want him. I think Rafa would take us further than Hughes would, don't see Hughes doing any better than mid table mediocrity (I know we would take that at the minute!) and I think with Rafa in charge we would have much more of a shot at the top 6 again.

Fair enough. I still feel Hughes has a lot to prove in management and is capable of being very successful in this league.

I know Hughes may present himself arrogantly, but that is because he is a winner and strives for the best. Look at his playing career and his successes as a player; it vindicates my statement above. I believe Hughes could bring long awaited glory to this club.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why?

It speaks for itself doesn't it?

I know Rafa isn't very popular with Villa fans but he's a very successful manager while Hughes hasn't won a thing. I mean he's won the Champions League with Liverpool and La Liga and the UEFA Cup with Valencia.

When Pako was his assistant yes. Check out how his form as a manager has well and truly nosedived since he fell out with Pako.

Why?

because every time he inherits a Houllier squad the team win the Champions League :winkold:

I don't like Rafa and wouldn't really want him here but I can't stand Hughes and definitely don't want him. I think Rafa would take us further than Hughes would, don't see Hughes doing any better than mid table mediocrity (I know we would take that at the minute!) and I think with Rafa in charge we would have much more of a shot at the top 6 again.

I don't really see that at all.

Hughes has shown an ability to adapt, to make the most of limited funds when he's faced with that scenario and to invest bigger funds wisely (for the most part) when they are available. He had Blackburn punching above their weight (top 6 - higher than us at the time despite roughly the same budget pre Lerner, maybe even less) and was on course to deliver Citeh's best season for decades. His input is still a big part of why they are where they are now, and most of their players were disappointed to see him depart.

He also got Wales as close to qualification as anyone in recent decades back in the early noughties, at the start of his managerial career.

He doesn't strike me as someone who is happy to settle at all, for mid table mediocrity or anything else.

The right platform and the right backing and support from the boardroom (to date he's probably only had one or the other at any one time, not both) could be the making of him.

Why?

It speaks for itself doesn't it?

I know Rafa isn't very popular with Villa fans but he's a very successful manager while Hughes hasn't won a thing. I mean he's won the Champions League with Liverpool and La Liga and the UEFA Cup with Valencia.

When Pako was his assistant yes. Check out how his form as a manager has well and truly nosedived since he fell out with Pako.

Yes you are right there, his form has been relatively poor since then but it also coincides with his falling out with the owners at Liverpool and that whole conundrum.

They did manage to finish second in the league the season Pako left so it wasn't all bad.

Then again he was awful at Inter so I guess all in all he would be a gamble. Personally he's not my first choice to take over anyway.

There are no shortage of top class managers out there just depends on whether we have the ability to attract them.

Moyes, Hiddink, Rikjaard, Van Gaal, Deschamps etc and I think we'll struggle to get them but I'd rather see us attempting for these than contemplating Mark Hughes who I believe will turn us into complete Midtable fodder over any length of contract.

Why?

I don't really see that at all.

Hughes has shown an ability to adapt, to make the most of limited funds when he's faced with that scenario and to invest bigger funds wisely (for the most part) when they are available. He had Blackburn punching above their weight (top 6 - higher than us at the time despite roughly the same budget pre Lerner, maybe even less) and was on course to deliver Citeh's best season for decades. His input is still a big part of why they are where they are now, and most of their players were disappointed to see him depart.

He also got Wales as close to qualification as anyone in recent decades back in the early noughties, at the start of his managerial career.

He doesn't strike me as someone who is happy to settle at all, for mid table mediocrity or anything else.

The right platform and the right backing and support from the boardroom (to date he's probably only had one or the other at any one time, not both) could be the making of him.

Agree with this. There is not much between Moyes and Hughes. They are both talented and experienced at Premiership level, and still have plenty of potential for future success in management.

Benitez was sacked with Inter in 7th place in Serie A. I could have done better with that team.

One of the things that used to annoy Liverpool fans with Benitez was his negative tactics. He would also constantly be changing the team even if it had just had a good result. He would rest Torres when he was on fire and as a result Liverpool under achieved.

It really is up to Faulkner to do his research and find us a manager who can take us places.

Look at what has happened with Porto this season. They appointed Andre Boas who is 33 years old with no playing pedigree. They have just won the league and cup and are are on the verge of the Europa Cup final.

Although I would be happy to see Hughes or Moyes, I am open to suggestions from Faulkner. The trouble is I reckon that most Villa fans know more about football than him.

I remember when Villa appointed Ron Saunders as manager. The majority of Villa fans didn't want him as he had done poorly at Man City, but within a month we had changed our minds and he turned out to be the best manager we have ever had by a country mile.

Look at what has happened with Porto this season. They appointed Andre Boas who is 33 years old with no playing pedigree. They have just won the league and cup and are are on the verge of the Europa Cup final.

Except Porto wasn't his first job... his work at academica got him the porto job.. getting them to mid table and promoting "attractive football" ... I understand what your trying to say though as it's a gamble.

Except Porto wasn't his first job... his work at academica got him the porto job.. getting them to mid table and promoting "attractive football" ... I understand what your trying to say though as it's a gamble.

I would rather us take a gamble on an up and coming manager than take an older manager who has failed elsewhere.

However, does Faulkner have the footballing knowledge to find that person?

Moyes was an inexperienced manager at Preston when Everton took a chance on him and I think he has done a fantastic job there. Perhaps somebody like Lambert could do a similar job for us and given our greater spending power even get us challenging for a CL spot.

No way would Andre Villas Boas join even though he would be perfect for us.

The board have no ambition to hire a young oversea employed manager. It has to be an old experienced PL unemployed washed up canidate. No risk and no drive.

The board have no ambition to hire a young oversea employed manager. It has to be an old experienced PL unemployed washed up canidate. No risk and no drive.

I don't think that's the case. Martin Jol admitted contact with Villa in the summer, as well perhaps had the previous manager not left at such a time, it'd give us a more wide range of targets available to us, like say a Moyes.

Unfortunately, he left at a time which meant any new manager would have to leave their job at the end of august, pretty unrealistic.

I thought villas-boas was mourinho type anti football?

No way. I watch alot of Portuguese football and Porto have been fantastic this season. In the last two games I saw them play over the easter holidays they beat Benfica away 3-1 and beat Villareal 5-1.

That or Villas Boas will only leave to a much bigger club than us? no no, much easier to say that our board is shit.

I thought villas-boas was mourinho type anti football?

No way. I watch alot of Portuguese football and Porto have been fantastic this season. In the last two games I saw them play over the easter holidays they beat Benfica away 3-1 and beat Villareal 5-1.

Sign him up :P

porto were awesome the other night possibly the most exciting team in europe this season (not inc barca obv). he would be the only foreig manager i would appoint as he seems to have the necessary fire and hunger. otherwise i would have hughes - he is a tenacious character but has the skills to manage and we would give him that higher platform to again compete with man city. appointing him would prob mean out current squad would play much better.