Short break New York

The_Lions_Roar

Looking at having a short break in new york for our honeymoon next october. Looking at 4 nights, staying somewhere central.

Best deal ive found so far is £900 each!

Is this a typical price for a decent hotel and flight to new york?

Any website recommendations for good deals?

BA return to NY is about £460

meaning you are paying £440 each on a hotel , so guess it depends what class of hotel you have in your package

Tony that is London Airways prices from Heathrow - for the rest of the UK prices differ, unless you want to pay the stupid prices to get to and park at LHR

Tony that is London Airways prices from Heathrow - for the rest of the UK prices differ, unless you want to pay the stupid prices to get to and park at LHR

or live in a decent part of the country and you don't have to :winkold:

or live in a decent part of the country and you don't have to :winkold:

Good for me but we have an office in Bedfont that many use rather than pay for LHR parking :-)

To the OP, remember the other thing to factor into your prices like the 60 dollar taxi ride from JFK - I am pretty certain its a fixed fare but I have seen hotels that have (free) shuttles in the past

Do not stay midtown. That is not the real NY. Head out to one of the boroughs for a far more authentic NY experience.

good lord who would want to visit New York and spend their time in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island? That would be like visiting London and staying in Milton Keynes.

Aside I fully agree with the Midtown statement, you could not pick a more horrible location. New York City is all about the neighborhoods Upper East Side, Lower East Side, Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, Soho, Noho, Tribecca, Chelsea, East Village, Gramarcy that's where you need to focus your attention. Unless you would rather spend your time surrounded by fat midwestern kids in TGI Friday's followed by $7 glasses of Beer in dingy Midtown Irish pubs. My overall top choice to stay is the Upper West side, excellent access to the Subway, Central Park and Museums also the bars/eateries up there are great. Hotels are nowhere near as abundant as Midtown but the standard is reasonably good. One I can recommend: Lucerne

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks, planning my next trip and I'm looking at New York in February.

So looking for hotel suggestions at this stage please, I want to be central for all the normal tourist stuff.

Once I've sorted flights and hotels I'll be looking for tips about what to see and do but want to find the hotel and get that sorted first.

Do not stay midtown. That is not the real NY. Head out to one of the boroughs for a far more authentic NY experience.

good lord who would want to visit New York and spend their time in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island? That would be like visiting London and staying in Milton Keynes.

Aside I fully agree with the Midtown statement, you could not pick a more horrible location. New York City is all about the neighborhoods Upper East Side, Lower East Side, Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, Soho, Noho, Tribecca, Chelsea, East Village, Gramarcy that's where you need to focus your attention. Unless you would rather spend your time surrounded by fat midwestern kids in TGI Friday's followed by $7 glasses of Beer in dingy Midtown Irish pubs. My overall top choice to stay is the Upper West side, excellent access to the Subway, Central Park and Museums also the bars/eateries up there are great. Hotels are nowhere near as abundant as Midtown but the standard is reasonably good. One I can recommend: Lucerne

BROOKLYN ALL DAY EVERY DAY BABY ;)

Ok folks, planning my next trip and I'm looking at New York in February.

So looking for hotel suggestions at this stage please, I want to be central for all the normal tourist stuff.

Once I've sorted flights and hotels I'll be looking for tips about what to see and do but want to find the hotel and get that sorted first.

Went in August and stopped in Fashino 26 hotel.

Right next to Macy's and Madisson Square guardens.

10 min walk to Times Square

Subway station within a couple of blocks.

Hotel was only opened last year, part of a chain but still quirky, Excellent service, roof top bar, although close to everything, it wasn't barmy outside the front door!

Not sure how much it is now but we got a good deal for New York prices.

• 2 weeks later...
Can only tell me what this hotel is like in terms of location for all the touristy things!

Clicky

Just don't take your cat with you as there wont be enough room to swing him around with the size of those hotel rooms :-)

Can only tell me what this hotel is like in terms of location for all the touristy things!

Clicky

Just don't take your cat with you as there wont be enough room to swing him around with the size of those hotel rooms :-)

That's ok then, i don't plan to go to NY and sit in my hotel room, it'll be for sleeping. Of course it still has to look nice for the missus!

Clicky

That's ok then, i don't plan to go to NY and sit in my hotel room, it'll be for sleeping. Of course it still has to look nice for the missus!

Location is right in middle of everything, will be manic outside at all hours, but thats what NYC is about!

Clicky

Location is right in middle of everything, will be manic outside at all hours, but thats what NYC is about!

Perfect :lol:

I don't think we expect it to be quiet, particularly when there's a dj set at the hotel 5 nights a week.

I particularly like the free apples on arrival!

Is it worth doing 4 nights or is 3 enough to see the main attractions?

Clicky

Perfect :lol:

I don't think we expect it to be quiet, particularly when there's a dj set at the hotel 5 nights a week.

I particularly like the free apples on arrival!

Is it worth doing 4 nights or is 3 enough to see the main attractions?

Depends what you want to see and if you want to rest at any point.

Spent 9 nights there in the summer and would go back in the morning, think it would take a long time to get bored of the place.

think it would take a long time to get bored of the place.

I'd die of obesity before I got bored of New York

Often wondered how long i'd have to live there before i got bored of eating goldfish bowl size portions of Ice cream from Serendipity ?

Â