Short break to Dussledorf (help required)

TheEgo

Hi one and all,

Off for a three night break to Dussledorf at the start of December, can anyone reccomend a good hotel? any tips on what to do, where to eat/drink etc or general impressions/opinions.

Any help would be great :-)

I used www.hotels.com to find a hotel when I went to Paris, then booked direct through the hotel as it worked out cheaper, its a pretty good website, also recommend researching the hotel on tripadvisor to make sure you aren't gonna end up in some dump.

Dussledorf

It's meant to be a romantic gettaway..

I can see the flaw in your plan already

I flew there for the UEFA cup final last year and then drove up to Hamburg ..didn't spend that long there but The Rhine Tower and the Rhine Promenade are pleasant enough so head over that way

Im not convinced my girlfriend would be overly impressed. It's meant to be a romantic gettaway..........................what time does it kick off?! ;-)

Give me dates and I'll give you fixtures, ticketing info and directions. 8)

also recommend researching the hotel on tripadvisor to make sure you aren't gonna end up in some dump

yes but No

Tripadvisor seems to always be full of reviews from some irate American who writes a 15 page rant because he couldn't get a Starbucks and the cleaning lady from a small village in Outer Mongolia couldn't speak fluent English , and how the staff were rude and he checked out early and never came back

or

you get a review saying it was the best hotel of their life , fantastic staff and how they wouldn't go anywhere else

never seem to get any balanced views on it so I tend to avoid it ...

I've always found it useful plus quite alot of people include some of their own photos so gives you an idea of what you are actually going to see when you get there rather than the hotels 10 year old photos that are well out dated.

• 2 months later...
I completely disagree about Koln, there's not a lot going on there at all. Dusseldorf old quarter is nice, there are some great guest houses and pubs there.

I think Koeln beats Duesseldorf hands down, just think it's a much better city.

• 5 months later...

Köln is a shithole. Avoid at all costs.

If you want romance, I recommend a drive across the border to Kasteeltuinen in Arcen, just on the outskirts of Venlo. Stunning gardens in a beautiful setting. I've got the place earmarked as a potential proposal venue. 8)

kasteel_2008.JPG

rosarium_bovenaf2.jpg

klassieke_rozentuin.JPG

rosarium01.JPG

4_tinten_tuin.JPG

watertuin02.JPG

lommerrijk_2.jpg

italiaanse_tuin_fontein.jpg

casa_verde.JPG

As an added bonus, a mere 3 minute-drive from Kasteeltuinen is the greatest pancake house in the World bar none; De Bosrand. Seriously, you will never eat a better pancake. They've even got a minigolf course out the back.

On a smaller scale (and back into Germany), Kevelaer is a beautiful little town that's well worth a visit. You could quite easily walk round the place in an afternoon as well.

Köln is a shithole. Avoid at all costs.

That's a bit harsh, although I can see where you are coming from. I prefer Duss myself too, yet Köln isn't exactly an awful place. It's still nicer than most cities in England. Plus Köln has a better Christmas market than Dusseldorf and the chocolate factory. Dusseldorf if more picturesque though and doesn't seem to be dirty like Köln. I would say to visit both if he gets the chance, even though I agree that Dusseldorf is the nice city.

I was actually supposed to be visiting within the next week or two and would have been going to the fair in Dusseldorf, which is fantastic. I can't get any bloody time off work though so I'm not at all happy that I'll be missing it. Hopefully I will make it over for Christmas.

Anyway, Germany as a country is bloody great and I miss living there a lot. Heidelberg is another really nice place in Germany by the way. Plus for some odd reason they do the best Gyros ever there...

• 7 months later...
Â