Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

After making an upopular desicion regarding new manager, selling AY to Man U, the last thing the board should do is to sell Downing as well.

A bad start to the season and I really think we're in for a bumpy ride. Lerner backed MON with a lot of cash. Last summer we did not reinvest the Milner money, instead we did it in January. I don't think Lerner is able, willing (or a combination) to put a lot of money in.

The reason for that is, from a business perspective, understandable. Four years ago he could fund a challenge for a Top 4 spot. With Man City it is instead a Top 5, maybe even a Top 6. And the price has gone up a lot since then.

The sensible thing to do now is not to invest, and instead wait for the next opportunity.

From a fan's perspective that simply isn't good enough. Lerner used a lot of his goodwill with the managerial appointment. I hope he is aware of that, especially if we have a bad season.

That players like Downing realise the ambitions of the club has decreased is the reason for wanting out. We are selling our best players and nothing really exciting is going to happen here the next two or three years at least. If ever.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he will go, it's all just paper talk about Liverpool being on the verge of signing him. The board know that selling him in the same window as AY would be suicide even if they offer silly money. If he hands in a transfer requests then it's up to RL to rip it up and tell him to honnor the contact he signed and tell him to show some **** gratitude & respect to a club that took him in for a LOT of money when he was seriously injured and helped turn him into an England star.

The nail in the coffin as far as Downing is concerned was the appointment of our new manager. We all expected a decent manager chosen from what was available and we got 'Tin Tin!' The appointment showed a lack of ambition from the club and now Downing will go. You can't blame him for that. Dalglish is building a new Liverpool and they will be challenging for honours next season while we, after again selling our best player and appointing a manager who has presided over two relegations in three years will struggle to best the likes of Fulham and Newcastle.

Anyone who thinks that Downing will stay now needs a reality check. All is not lost however. If we can bring NZogbia in to replace Young and Johnson from Man City to replace Downing then both those players will provide enough chances for Bent to keep us at least mid table or slightly better and we should show a profit to keep the chairman happy.

When Downing does leave for plop then Bent will be next. Maybe not this season as the top six don't really need him but if he has another good season with us then Plop might just come in at the end of next season and Bent will go.

Yawn.

Glad i'm just about keeping you awake! :lol:

After making an upopular desicion regarding new manager, selling AY to Man U, the last thing the board should do is to sell Downing as well.

A bad start to the season and I really think we're in for a bumpy ride. Lerner backed MON with a lot of cash. Last summer we did not reinvest the Milner money, instead we did it in January. I don't think Lerner is able, willing (or a combination) to put a lot of money in.

The reason for that is, from a business perspective, understandable. Four years ago he could fund a challenge for a Top 4 spot. With Man City it is instead a Top 5, maybe even a Top 6. And the price has gone up a lot since then.

The sensible thing to do now is not to invest, and instead wait for the next opportunity.

From a fan's perspective that simply isn't good enough. Lerner used a lot of his goodwill with the managerial appointment. I hope he is aware of that, especially if we have a bad season.

That players like Downing realise the ambitions of the club has decreased is the reason for wanting out. We are selling our best players and nothing really exciting is going to happen here the next two or three years at least. If ever.

You seem to be forgetting the fair play rules will kick in soon and this will be our final opportunity to spend big and compete.

It's not sensible at all because our club will suffer in the long run. It'll suit Randy though.

I can normally picture a player in someone's kit - Like i cold easily see Ash in a Utd shirt, I could see Barry in a Citeh shirt.

But for some reason, i just cant see in Downing wearing the Red of Liverpool.

I can normally picture a player in someone's kit - Like i cold easily see Ash in a Utd shirt, I could see Barry in a Citeh shirt.

Downing wore practically the same colour for years at Middlesborough. I really can't see Young wearing a Man Utd shirt, would look weird.

Don't worry, seems you won't have to try for much longer.

liverpool announcing the mata signing in the next few days

that looks like downing off the table so

Wow really? What a signing that will be - where you get this from?

mate of mine has a few contacts at the echo, tends to be right more often than not. £15m is the figure

As far as im concerned, Downing has made his bed. Now he can lie in it.

downing hasnt actually done anything though

he got in a badly advised photo while on holiday, but that's it

obviously we've priced him out of a move to liverpool, and you'd expect that that's that now

Theres more to this than Downing just being photographed holding a liverpool scarf. Talk of him handing in a transfer request now. Theres no smoke without fire.

sure its no good to him if livepool get mata though is it

that'll put an end to downing going anywhere, coz you can be sure theres nobody else who'll pay the money for him

Even so, he doesnt want to be here. And the first sign of interest from another club and he will want to go again. Im sorry but I dont want a player with that sort of attitude anywhere near this club. Its would be better to sell him now and replace him rather than losing him next summer, or even worse, in january.

If he has handed in a transfer request, then he has to be the most disloyal player going. We signed him for big money from the Championship with a broken leg, then he comes back and has an absolutely dire season. We then give him the platform to improve his game and is voted player of the season with him also getting into the England squads. Then to hand in a transfer request would be worse than Milner, Barry and Young by a long way.

Actually no it would be just as bad as Milner. Because whilst Milner didn't hand in a transfer request, he practically did and left Villa with hardly any choice but to sell.

Â