Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Downing and Young leaving wouldn't surprise me at all, like when Milner left it was because of this clubs lack of ambition and tr fact that we won't be competing for much. If downing and Ash want to win things they'll have to move.

good luck to em

never won owt for us so wel get over it!! Just like we did with Milner and Barry (who also won us nowt).

Ash will be tough to take cos hes my favourite player but im gettin used to the idea.

Downing may have been one of the best players/the best player this season - but hes been the best player in what has ultimately been a shambolic team

That does not make him a bad player though.

He performed well in a poor team, imagine what he could do in a better team, with the players around performing better.

A lot of people say Young's form has dipped because Barry left, it got better when Milner was there and has dipped again since Milner left. This shows that Young needs to be fed. What has Downing been fed this season???Apart from a lot of abuse about his lack of tackling...

No you right, it doesnt make him a bad player but it doesnt make him a gr8 one either. FWIW Id prefer for him to stay but I dont think hes key to success. In all the MOTM performances hes given - how many have been match winning performances??

Can't answer that question off the top of my head. How many games has Young, Gabby, Albrighton, Petrov won us this season. The only player that could stake that claim is Bent, who in effect, has kept us safe this season with his goals.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing and Young leaving wouldn't surprise me at all, like when Milner left it was because of this clubs lack of ambition and tr fact that we won't be competing for much. If downing and Ash want to win things they'll have to move.

good luck to em

never won owt for us so wel get over it!! Just like we did with Milner and Barry (who also won us nowt).

Ash will be tough to take cos hes my favourite player but im gettin used to the idea.

Downing may have been one of the best players/the best player this season - but hes been the best player in what has ultimately been a shambolic team

He performed well in a poor team, imagine what he could do in a better team, with the players around performing better.

A lot of people say Young's form has dipped because Barry left, it got better when Milner was there and has dipped again since Milner left. This shows that Young needs to be fed. What has Downing been fed this season???Apart from a lot of abuse about his lack of tackling...

No you right, it doesnt make him a bad player but it doesnt make him a gr8 one either. FWIW Id prefer for him to stay but I dont think hes key to success. In all the MOTM performances hes given - how many have been match winning performances??

Can't answer that question off the top of my head. How many games has Young, Gabby, Albrighton, Petrov won us this season. The only player that could stake that claim is Bent, who in effect, has kept us safe this season with his goals.

As I said, shambolic season after which Im not particularly worried about losing anyone!

good luck to em

As I said, shambolic season after which Im not particularly worried about losing anyone!

Still means another player going out (which shows lack of ambition to some), another player coming in, having a settling in period, getting used to everything and then expected to hit the ground running.

Young and NRC will go. Downing, although not the greatest player in the world, has proved that he can put in a good shift even in a team that is under performing. Imagine if he had under performed like the rest of them.

Although we would all like 9 new players to slot straight in to the starting team, it will not work unless all of those players join at the first possible date, have a solid pre season and all understand the philosophy of the club

good luck to em

I know he has also been quite shit at times but Collins has won us 7 points with his goals so he could stake this claim too!

good luck to em

I know he has also been quite shit at times but Collins has won us 7 points with his goals so he could stake this claim too!

Thats more points than bents goals have won us IIRC :D

good luck to em

never won owt for us so wel get over it!! Just like we did with Milner and Barry

Hahahahahahaha.

Yeh. We handled those losses, especially the former, really well.

good luck to em

never won owt for us so wel get over it!! Just like we did with Milner and Barry

Hahahahahahaha.

my point is we get over it tho. there not irreplaceable. We just make them sound irreplacable by ridiculously overating them. See theunderstudy's post - 'Downings had a great season'.

Now - hes been a positive in an otherwise abysmal season for Aston Villa, but to say hes had a 'great' season is just ludicrus imo

Javier Hernandez has had a great season for example

Not that I approve of nicking other club's songs per se, but there's that one tune (I always associate it with pirates, sorry I don't know the name of the piece of music) that some other clubs use. Liverpool, and now Chelsea I think, used it for Fernando Torres. It was like. Da-dum da-dum da-dum da-dum da-duuuuuum for quite a while, then ending with Fer-naaaan-do Torr-es Liverpool'S/Chelsea's number 9!

Sorry that wasn't very well worded, we could do something like that for Stu, Stew-art Down-ing Villa's number 6! Just an idea, I always thought it was quite a catchy chant.

Edit - Here we go, I feel a bit dirty posting a Liverpool chant in a villa forum but here goes ;)

More words than I thought though, sure we could find some new ones for Downing.

good luck to em

Hahahahahahaha.

my point is we get over it tho. there not irreplaceable. We just make them sound irreplacable by ridiculously overating them. See theunderstudy's post - 'Downings had a great season'.

Now - hes been a positive in an otherwise abysmal season for Aston Villa, but to say hes had a 'great' season is just ludicrus imo

Well it turns out Milner was pretty irreplacable. As I'm sure it'll turn out with Downing if he leaves, and probably to a slightly lesser extent when Ash leaves.

I think people tend to underestimate the value of having these players on the books, rather than cash in the bank.

I agree with your assessment tho - not a single member of staff remotely associated with AVFC has had a 'great' season

good luck to em

Hahahahahahaha.

Well it turns out Milner was pretty irreplacable. As I'm sure it'll turn out with Downing if he leaves, and probably to a slightly lesser extent when Ash leaves.

I think people tend to underestimate the value of having these players on the books, rather than cash in the bank.

I agree with your assessment tho - not a single member of staff remotely associated with AVFC has had a 'great' season

How has it turned out milner is irreplacable?? Weve missed him yes and Hed have been handy this season.

We havent replaced him yet but its a bit early to say hes irreplacable!!

I also disagree with you saying we miss downing more than ash.

I know theres more too it than goals but:

Ash 9 goals

Downing 7 goals

And i think the imp part of this is that many will say ash has been abysmal this season and at the same time, will say Downing has been very good, or great.

Milner's departure is a very large reason as to why we have gone from 4th place contenders to relegation candidates. I guess it comes down to your definition of irreplacable.

I would argue that the nature of Milners departure was a catalyst of a chain of events that has turned this season into chaos, and ultimately made us relegation candidiates

we were top 4 contenders the season where Milner was awful for the most part.

I didnt realise irreplaceable could mean anything else other than - 'cannot be replaced??'

Fair enough on the nature of Milner's departure, not his actual presence. If thats what you think.

On irreplaceable - I could've 'replaced' Jimmy as our starting CM. But I wouldn't have been a good replacement. The term carries certain implications

On irreplaceable - I could've 'replaced' Jimmy as our starting CM. But I wouldn't have been a good replacement. The term carries certain implications

No i get that, Im just amazed you dont think theres a good replacement out there.

Milner's departure is a very large reason as to why we have gone from 4th place contenders to relegation candidates. I guess it comes down to your definition of irreplacable.

I'd say it was more to do with O'Neill walking out. Milner wasn't that good.

A fine player, but I didn't like the way he moved from the club. A bit too snide for me.

@ Woodytom... Comparing how many goals Ash and Downing have scored is rubbish! Ash has been taking pens and the majority of free kicks whilst Downing's goals come from open play! Also I'd love to know which season you refer to when you say Milner was rubbish for most of it! I've been a season ticket holder for years but I must have been watching something else every week that season!

Â