Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I can definately see Liverpool coming in for him in the summer and I can see him making it known he wants out. He will be 27 over the summer and in the peak years of his career and will want to be at a club competing for top 4/trophies I'd imagine ( as we where 12 months ago ). That under Houllier is not going to be us anytime soon and certainly not with in a time scale for a player reaching his peak.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that under Houllier we went further in both domestic competitions than Liverpool then...

FWIW I don't see Downing going anywhere for another 3 years.

And I would rather keep Downing here over Young. One is consistently good, never below a 7/10. The other is hot and cold. One is a team player, one demands the ball over everyone else. One is a player who 50-50 foot challenges apart doesn't shirk his team responsibility, the other spends more time falling over and winning fks/pens. Downing is a very good player, I defended him from the start of his Villa career. Ash has blown hot and cold and one game showed glimpses of quality, the next been very poor. Downing plays where he's told, Young demands to be the star man in the hole.

Downing is the ultimate in a footbller for professionalism. When have you ever seen him causing trouble, or heard anything about him revolting against the manager? he shuts up and gets on with his job. The only players pushing Downing for my POTs are Albrighton and TOLE Walker.

Glad he's getting the praise he deserves. 7 goals as well, all from open play.

How is Downing not good enough? by that thought process, none of our players are good enough.

No their not!!

And thats probably why we havent got there yet.

So what's the point, honestly. You want a team of world class players? great....but it's just unrealistic and pointless to debate.

How is Downing not good enough? by that thought process, none of our players are good enough.

No their not!!

So what's the point, honestly. You want a team of world class players? great....but it's just unrealistic and pointless to debate.

Nope, no ones got a team of world class players. I want to feel like we can compete though. im not sure what is wrong with that.

In a nutshell, I dont want to endure any more shite seasons like this. Its part of the game, and I will always accept it. But that doesnt mean I cant have an opinion of what I believe would stop this from happening and in turn would help us win things.

And imo, i believe our best players, need to be better than Stewart Downing!! What team in the top 5 would Stewart Downing start for?

No their not!!

Nope, no ones got a team of world class players. I want to feel like we can compete though. im not sure what is wrong with that.

In a nutshell, I dont want to endure any more shite seasons like this. Its part of the game, and I will always accept it. But that doesnt mean I cant have an opinion of what I believe would stop this from happening and in turn would help us win things.

And imo, i believe our best players, need to be better than Stewart Downing!! What team in the top 5 would Stewart Downing start for?

Consistently better than Arshavin IMO. Probably Chelsea as well albeit on the right as Malouda would be on the left.

I reckon United would mind him either. You would be surprised. The only team that wouldn't want him is Spurs, who ironically nearly signed him.

No their not!!

Consistently better than Arshavin IMO. Probably Chelsea as well albeit on the right as Malouda would be on the left.

I reckon United would mind him either. You would be surprised. The only team that wouldn't want him is Spurs, who ironically nearly signed him.

I dont agree but

Ok change the question, Would Stewart Downing be the best player for any of the top 5???

Arsenal, Man United, Man City right now IMO.

and well no I guess it shouldn't stop you from debating what you want to happen but what's the point of debating something SO unrealistic, basically you want us to change our whole squad for a completely new squad that can finish in the top 4 and challenge for honours...what's the point in that? I mean, fair enough if we need to debate 4/5/6 positions to improve but if you say Downing ain't good enough then I think that means realistically, none of the rest of the team are and then the whole debate just becomes ridiculous.

No their not!!

I dont agree but

Ok change the question, Would Stewart Downing be the best player for any of the top 5???

What sort of question is that, Chelsea can spend mass money and mass wages on world class players, we can't. :?

Of course he wouldn't be the best player for the top 5! Every one of those teams has a world class* player!

Cech, Cole, Fabregas, Van persie, Van der Saar, Nani, Ferdinand, Modric, Silva, Tevez, Kompany etc.

*arguably

No their not!!

I dont agree but

What sort of question is that, Chelsea can spend mass money and mass wages on world class players, we can't. :?

Its a question that highlights my earlier point

In order to be where we want to be, we need players of higher calibre than Stewart Downing. Im not sure whats hard to understand?

In order to be where we want to be, we need players of higher calibre than Stewart Downing. Im not sure whats hard to understand?

So basically, you want Lerner out and us to find some multi billionaire owners like City?

Are you just after an arguement or summit? what you bangin on about now?

No, I dont want him out!

So basically, you want Lerner out and us to find some multi billionaire owners like City?

Are you just after an arguement or summit? what you bangin on about now?

No, I dont want him out!

So what is the point of even debating about us having players worth £40-50 million on £175k wages a week? because it ain't going to happen under Randy for a while, maybe never to be honest. Certainly not any time soon so it's just utterly pointless.

So what is the point of even debating about us having players worth £40-50 million on £175k wages a week? because it ain't going to happen under Randy for a while, maybe never to be honest. Certainly not any time soon so it's just utterly pointless.

When did I say they had to be those players!

I just said they had to be better than Stewart Downing, who would be a squad player imo as he would at any of the top 4.

Of course he wouldn't be the best player for the top 5! Every one of those teams has a world class* player!

Cech, Cole, Fabregas, Van persie, Van der Saar, Nani, Ferdinand, Modric, Silva, Tevez, Kompany etc.

*arguably

which is what we need

When did I say they had to be those players!

I just said they had to be better than Stewart Downing, who would be a squad player imo as he would at any of the top 4.

Well debatable, I think he'd start at some of the top 4...and given the fact we're not in the top 4, it doesn't matter. He's been our best player this season so why would he even want to replace him.

I think you should play FM if you want your fantasy team.

Annnnnd, even if he is a squad player at one of the top 4 teams, he is still one of our best players. Soo, your argument is flawed I'm afraid. It's about what is right for us. Houllier will decide. And I am 99% certain downing will be with us next season and starting.

Â