Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

I did love the first and second seasons of lost though. But stuff like the numbers and the amount of open plot threads that never had any closure or a rubbish conclusion just turned me and many people against the show.

Yep. All that stuff was incredible...

...until you slowly realised that a lot of it was never going to get answered. Then it just got annoying

I have never seen an episode of the Sopranos.

The Sopranos while a great show and definitely worth watching is most certainly the most over rated show of the past decade. Still great though.
Lol your defo trolling here if you think the sopranos is the most overrated show ever

Well what show is lauded near universally from the past decade? The list is very small.

The Sopranos while a great show and definitely worth watching is most certainly the most over rated show of the past decade. Still great though.

You seem to have confused The Sopranos with The Walking Dead

• Like 1

What are people's opinions on the greatest British shows??

Only fools and horses for me by miles and miles. The office was pretty amazing as well. As was fawlty towers.

Not keen on British dramas. The acting is usually woeful.

YES YES Another one. 2 seasons of The Walking Dead was plenty given that cinema manages to do that genre in 90mins.

How much mileage can you get out of "Zombie plague takes over the world. Zombies try to eat humans whilst human survivors behave like dicks to each other" 

I did love the first and second seasons of lost though. But stuff like the numbers and the amount of open plot threads that never had any closure or a rubbish conclusion just turned me and many people against the show.

Yep. All that stuff was incredible...

...until you slowly realised that a lot of it was never going to get answered. Then it just got annoying

I specifically picked the numbers as the plot thread I wanted at least some kind of conclusion from. But them being winning lottery numbers and the numbers entered in the hatch had no connection because the writers had no idea where the show was going or what it was about or how it would end. They lived week to week.

It's a now dying model as more and more shows are consumed on demand and not weekly at set times. You have a series to sell your show not one episode

Two things. Firstly 'past decade' doesn't mean 'ever' and secondly it's possible for something to be fantastic and STILL be over-rated. For example, as a big fan of The Big Lebowski I still think it's over-rated as a movie because people have it in their top 5 or 10 of all time.

Lol your defo trolling here if you think the sopranos is the most overrated show ever

Well what show is lauded near universally from the past decade? The list is very small.

Just because everyone says it's the best show ever doesn't mean it overrated lol overrated for me is breaking bad. I love it and it's a great show. But it's so unrealistic and silly that you have to take it for what it is. Like the gus character , whilst cool, was just silly.

YES YES Another one. 2 seasons of The Walking Dead was plenty given that cinema manages to do that genre in 90mins.

How much mileage can you get out of "Zombie plague takes over the world. Zombies try to eat humans whilst human survivors behave like dicks to each other"

It's based on a graphic novel and I'm assured by someone who reads it that they haven't even scratched the surface of the storyline yet, so if you're asking how much mileage is left. Plenty.

I have heard nothing about the walking dead. I often hear how amazing the Sopranos is / was / are. It's certainly a top 10 show but not a top five.

BSG, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire & Game of Thrones all better shows.

Two things. Firstly 'past decade' doesn't mean 'ever' and secondly it's possible for something to be fantastic and STILL be over-rated. For example, as a big fan of The Big Lebowski I still think it's over-rated as a movie because people have it in their top 5 or 10 of all time.

Brian says it better than I can.

Take the Dark Knight / Inception and best movie ever nonsense with the manipulation of IMDB ratings etc..

Both great movies. Neither even close to best ever though.

Edited by CVByrne

I have heard nothing about the walking dead. I often hear how amazing the Sopranos is / was / are. It's certainly a top 10 show but not a top five.

BSG, Breaking Bad, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire & Game of Thrones all better shows.

I was only being half serious. In so much as everyone seems to love TWD when, imo, it's average at best.

And to be fair, of the shows you've listed as being better than The Sopranos, I've only seen The Wire (which I agree with) and Game of Thrones (which I disagree with)

As previously discussed I watched a season of BSG (and Boardwalk Empire fwiw) and didn't think much of it. They'll get revisited. And BB will be getting watched too. If they're all better than the Sopranos then I'll be a very happy boy... but I'm not holding my breath ;)

Each to their own but I need a payoff. To feel that the time invested in the show was not just time wasted. The show had no payoff they had no idea where they were going with it and it just got stupider and stupider each series until that pathetic ending.

you talking about the wire? because dont get me wrong the 5th series wasnt great but i thought the ending was absolutely superb

from what i can remember, it said to me that all the characters that you have been introduced to over the 5 series have just replaced the characters we were introduced to at the start, the black copper doing the same thing as mcnulty, they young kid who is the same stick up boy as omar etc etc took it as a way of saying that it was the city that makes these people what they are rather than the people making the city what it is...

thought it was really clever

First season of Boardwalk Empire sets the scene and tone. It's a bit of an effort to watch. Season two and then three are awesome. It has a chance of being up there with the Wire and BSG in the special totally **** awesome level of show. It's provisionally there.

BSG is similar. First series is setting the scene. I can't think of anything of interest that happens in the first series really. But from end of season 2 to the conclusion which is series 4 it's the best tv I've ever seen edging seasons 3 and 4 of the wire.

Mad Men is also better than Sopranos Btw.

Mad Men is also better than Sopranos Btw.

Now we're getting further and further from agreeing :)

Again, I love Mad Men. But it's not even close to The Sopranos.

(or The Wire, or GoT)

Not keen on British dramas. The acting is usually woeful.

getting better, downtown is surprisingly good, mr selfridge was good, broadchurch was superb (even tennant was ok)

ive also enjoyed top boy, this is england and that fred west one with dominic west

id say jonny harris i this is england and olivia coleman in broadchurch was possibly the best tv acting ive ever seen

Each to their own but I need a payoff. To feel that the time invested in the show was not just time wasted. The show had no payoff they had no idea where they were going with it and it just got stupider and stupider each series until that pathetic ending.

you talking about the wire? because dont get me wrong the 5th series wasnt great but i thought the ending was absolutely superb

from what i can remember, it said to me that all the characters that you have been introduced to over the 5 series have just replaced the characters we were introduced to at the start, the black copper doing the same thing as mcnulty, they young kid who is the same stick up boy as omar etc etc took it as a way of saying that it was the city that makes these people what they are rather than the people making the city what it is...

thought it was really clever

Hell no. I was talking about Lost. The Wire is utterly fantastic. Even the 5th season which was very bad compared to the rest of the show was still excellent by TV standards.

I've got to say, Conor, you're the first person I've ever encountered who rates BSG so highly.

I've met plenty who like it, but none who rate it as much as you do.

Â