Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Onions has only just come back from injury and Warwickshire crushed Durham last week.. Jordan out for 4 against Warwickshire... interesting contest between Jordan and Woakes in this Warwicks v Sussex match...The ecb will be looking closely

Oh believe me, I know!  :D

With regards to Onions (as with Finn) I was more making the point that perfectly respectable (if not very good) bowlers seem to have been discarded, and slightly unfairly so. 

• Like 2

i think it was rediculous Onions didn't go to Australia when he was by far the best bowler in the country last season...Tremlett going was a joke. Finn was unselectable and Rankin was undercooked by the time he played.... What annoys me is that we will only pick bowlers if they can bowl high 80s mph. Mcgrath took stacks of test wickets and he coildn't bowl that fast.

• Like 2

Onions not going to Australia was a really stupid decision, especially considering he was the leading wicket taker for the county champions at the time.  

• Like 2

Mcgrath took stacks of test wickets and he coildn't bowl that fast.

If there's an English-qualified Glenn McGrath bowling in county cricket then even our selectors would pick him. :)

I think the problem is that the real difference that pace brings at test level is when it's 90mph plus a bit. Very good balls are likely to get people out whatever pace they're delivered at but at over 90mph there's rarely such a thing as a long hop.

My point is really about Chris Woakes. When he first came into the Warwickshire side at 18/19 i saw him bowl a spell at Cardiff of sustained swing bowling, moving the ball both ways. it was fantastic to watch. He gets into the England set up and he's told to bowl faster and so looses a little bit of what he used to have. If he had of bowled on that green pitch even bowling low 80s, getting the ball in the right place swinging it and seaming it both ways he would have skittled India out..A. If you have someone like Dale Steyn who can bowl 150 kmph plus and swing it like he does then thats a lethal combination but we don't...

Alan Donald was then the bowling coach and  at a club forum he said its when waokes plays for England not if..He was that good!

Edited by PaulC

Fantastic win for India.

Right now England are the worst international team against the short ball. The damage that Johnson and co have done is remarkable.

Serious headaches for the next test. Who don't they drop?

He gets into the England set up and he's told to bowl faster and so looses a little bit of what he used to have.

Chalk another one up to the England coaches.

Michael Vaughan reckons he will play Sunday and came very close to being picked at lords.. 

Matt Prior has stood down from International cricket for the rest of the summer because if fitness reasons.... Choices to replace him?

Buttler, England should resist the urge for a short term fix in Foster and Read and go for someone is going to be the England wicket keeper for many years to come.

It's going to be Buttler isn't it? If not him, the ECB may turn back to Bairstow.

Yes Butler before Bairstow I think. Read and Foster are better keepers though but will they pick an interim, i don't think so...

It's going to be Buttler isn't it? If not him, the ECB may turn back to Bairstow.

Yes Butler before Bairstow I think. Read and Foster are better keepers though but will they pick an interim, i don't think so...

I don't think they should pick an interim either as it only delays the problem of finding a wicket keeper for the future.

Oh aye, just to say as out of form / unfit Prior may be, it's worth remembering that on his day he was up there with the best wicket keeper batsmen in the world. It's also worth remembering the part he played in many great victories for England and played a big part in getting us to number 1. I really hope he can become the cricketer he was again, as much as it seems unlikely he will.   

• Like 1

Its amazing how quick the core of the side that went unbeaten for 2 years, won the Ashes home and away and became world number one has been dismantled.

Strauss

Trott

KP

Prior

Swann

And then the likes of Bell, Cook and Broad who are no where near their best.

Â