Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Darren I'll give WMP a try given I use no sync program. I actually have a few albums missing art and a few songs in wrong order. I'll test it out and see what it does. I am a drag and drop person though. I like managing my folders. But I'll go into it with an open mind.

Stevo you might not get chance to do this before your holiday but I can recommend signing up for Google Music and uploading you Itunes library to the cloud.

On a associated theme what music player is everyone using?

I used to use Poweramp as it has a pretty good Equaliser but now all my stuff is on Google music I may need to look at using a standalone Equaliser app.

Also as the verge guys have now brainwashed me into being a mobile reviewer I've decided to sell my S3 when I get a Win8 Nokia to force me to use it day to day and also when I inevitably hate that device, give it to my brother for Christmas and buy a Nexus. Go vanilla then when S4 is out does it tempt me back.

As an aside, I Vlad their reviewer for mobiles hates custom skins especially Sense 4 but does have a kind word to say about the new touchwiz. Backing up what I was saying about this version compared to the one in the S2.

Anyway, for that was an aside.

Mykeyb I'm back in stock Touchwiz music player as the widget and controls in the notifications are handy. They put the pause when headphones unplugged functionality back in on recent update so I moved back.

I use double twist for pod casts. Best one available for free imo.

Stevo you might not get chance to do this before your holiday but I can recommend signing up for Google Music and uploading you Itunes library to the cloud.

On a associated theme what music player is everyone using?

I used to use Poweramp as it has a pretty good Equaliser but now all my stuff is on Google music I may need to look at using a standalone Equaliser app.

Yeah I've been considering that. I won't get a chance before my holiday but I'll give it a look after I get back.

It's not free is it? (doesn't matter, just curious)

Oh and I use Poweramp. Seems pretty good actually, I'll give a proper verdict when I'm back from holiday as I'll have used it a lot.

Conor, I use iTunes to play music on my laptop. I realise I could get everything onto my phone using drag and drop, but when I play it on my laptop I like to have something that it's easy to browse albums etc on. So if I've got that it makes sense to then use it to sync with my phone

I see what you mean. I rarely listen to music on my laptop. But when I do I use windows media player. But it's rare. I use VLC player for watching video.

Google music is free. Since when have Google ever charged for anything? They ain't apple Stevo.. Haha

Also Mykey Dropbox is 2 years of 50gb. I imagine Samsung will keep that partnership with their flagship phones until they decide to have their own cloud solution. So I'm happy to pile my stuff into there for now.

So you had handcuffs, but now you have the key and are choosing to use the handcuffs anyway? Definitely Stockholm Syndrome then :mrgreen:

I can only hope that one day you'll realise how much Windows is restricting you too.

Windows 7 is great. I liked ubuntu on a weak netbook but with a powerful ultrabook I'll only want windows as it has legacy support. I love playing total A and star craft.

Btw is it illegal to have downloaded iso's of those games when I already own them?

JellyBean has the equaliser built into the Play Music app. Don't need to use anything else.

Plenty of stable JB ROMs knocking around for S2 and apparently a good one for S3 out now.

Again, I ask what exactly are the handcuffs in your analogy? Some software that you don't like?

I fail to see why it would be described as "handcuffs". Because you prefer other software? Or no software at all?

That's perfectly fine, but it's a pretty shit analogy, that's all.

Not sure if you're serious, but anyway. The handcuffs are the lock in that you aren't free to do what you want with things you've paid for. You are having to change what you keep in your library because that library won't do it for you.

As for the Windows thing? I'm sure you're right, technically. But seeing as I use my laptop for little more than browsing the internet, listening to music, watching films and the occasional piece of work for my job (Excel spreadsheet, no choice in that department) I fail to see how moving away from windows would be of any great benefit to me. But feel free to enlighten me.

The main reason is because it removes the handcuffs. You can only do what Microsoft have decided you can do. It's a much weaker set of handcuffs than Apple's, but only until they can introduce their app store and lock down your ability to install software to do what you want. Windows 8 will even remove your ability to run something other than windows (on some devices) under the pretence of "security", when the real purpose is to control what you you can do.

I open Excel files throughout the working day. I don't run Windows. Someone's been feeding you FUD. (Admittedly I open far fewer of them since the company moved to Google Docs.)

Limpid your comments on windows 8 is speculation at this stage. People don't know what Microsoft has planned. I would be shocked if they closed up like apple. They would be gifting Google and Chrome OS a large number of users and more importantly oems. Someone will switch sides.

Microsoft fears Google so much they wouldn't dare close up windows. RT may be closed, but Pro will always be open imo.

Again, I ask what exactly are the handcuffs in your analogy? Some software that you don't like?

I fail to see why it would be described as "handcuffs". Because you prefer other software? Or no software at all?

That's perfectly fine, but it's a pretty shit analogy, that's all.

Not sure if you're serious, but anyway. The handcuffs are the lock in that you aren't free to do what you want with things you've paid for. You are having to change what you keep in your library because that library won't do it for you.

As for the Windows thing? I'm sure you're right, technically. But seeing as I use my laptop for little more than browsing the internet, listening to music, watching films and the occasional piece of work for my job (Excel spreadsheet, no choice in that department) I fail to see how moving away from windows would be of any great benefit to me. But feel free to enlighten me.

The main reason is because it removes the handcuffs. You can only do what Microsoft have decided you can do. It's a much weaker set of handcuffs than Apple's, but only until they can introduce their app store and lock down your ability to install software to do what you want. Windows 8 will even remove your ability to run something other than windows (on some devices) under the pretence of "security", when the real purpose is to control what you you can do.

I open Excel files throughout the working day. I don't run Windows. Someone's been feeding you FUD. (Admittedly I open far fewer of them since the company moved to Google Docs.)

Your first analogy still doesn't make sense. A more accurate analogy would be that I'm in my house wearing handcuffs. I've now got rid of the handcuffs (the handcuffs were the .m4a format) but I've decided to stay in my house.

Anyway, after reconsidering I think I'm going to stick with WMP, so the point is moot.

As I said, I'm sure you're right about Windows. I just don't think it makes that much difference to me now. I only mentioned the Excel thing because I was trying to pre empt someone telling me Excel is shit. I realise you don't need Windows to use Excel.

Google music is free. Since when have Google ever charged for anything? They ain't apple Stevo.. Haha

I'm sure I read it was a £15 one off fee or something. Obviously I was wrong, good news :thumb:

Â