Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Conor I presume your 50gb Dropbox is courtesy of the S3? If so what happens when the 12 months is up?

Asus Transformer was rubbish as a tablet because of making it work with a keyboard dock so it was too big and too heavy the Tab 10.1 is much better.

I am not surprised by the cool reviews of the new Tab because there isnt enough of a difference between it and the original 10.1 Tab. This is exactly the reason why Samsung have taken an eternity to push out the ICS update to it.

The 10.1 Note looks interesting but the cost is just crazy.

I just had a discussion with my friend who just got a nexus 7 and was very disappointed with it. I had to explain that the faults he has with it are faults with tablets in general and you can't blame one model for the failings of all tablets.

So this was what led to me hating the transformer. The dislike of a phone OS in the guise of a pc OS device. So once I explained what he should expect from a tablet, he had reviewed his opinion on the device. Don't try to do things you'd do on a pc. He is liking it now for comics and movies. The price also has to factor.

But for me I'd have no interest in a 10 inch tab, it is then as portable as my ultrabook and I'd always prefer that over a phone OS tablet.

But the nexus 7 is portable. That is it's MO imo. I view it as a mobile media device that is ok at Web browsing. It fits the gap between phone and laptop. But I think apple might have nailed it if their ipad mini is 7.85 inches screen. I have to zoom just a little bit to read magazines properly on the nexus. That small screen size increase makes a difference

Actually Samsung 7.7 tab would be perfect. But the cost of that S Amoled screen is too much.

HTC is a weird one. They were the manufacturer that helped make Android the succes it is today. HTC Desire was probably the handset that did it but then it all went wrong. Samsung Galaxy Range came out and has pretty much stole the HTC Crown.

I loved HTC from way back in the Windows Mobile days but it would take a pretty special handset to tempt me back into the fold.

NFC Tags (see Xperia Smart tags) are scanned by your phone and can be set to trigger certain actions on your phone. So put one in your car to trigger Bluetooth & GPS, one at work to turn off wifi and put it on silent......etc

Few things that caused the HTC demise.

1. Obsessively locked down bootloaders. Also, see Motorola for this. There was always a good modding scene for HTC because the G1 and HTC Magic were unlocked bootloaders. Once people either got the source or reverse engineered the drivers, custom ROMs were born. This is where Cyanogenmod started and people like Paul O'Brien supported mainly HTC for their ROMs. Once the Legend and Desire came out, it was almost impossible to get into some of their phones, requiring some pretty special hacks to get a custom ROM.

2. Sense. It caused lower-powered phones to feel sluggish and unresponsive, where Samsung phones felt sharp, but laggy. The Desire 1GHz Snapdragon was a better CPU than the 1GHz Hummingbird in the Galaxy S, but Sense bogged it down.

3. Big LCD screens e.g. Desire HD and Incredible. Up against SAMOLED screens of larger sizes they look awful. Anytime anyone saw a SAMOLED screen they would be wowed by the image, when used to an HTC LCD.

4. Poor reliability. Any I know who had an HTC phone after the G1 had to have their phone sent off to repair at least once. Most of the time they would come back in the same state. My brother had the choice between a Sensation and a Galaxy S2. He chose the Sensation and thoroughly regretted it. He now has an iPhone4S from the experience.

As an original HTC user and fan from my G1 days, I wouldn't touch them again. I wouldn't risk it going faulty a few times in the warranty, I wouldn't want Sense, and I certainly wouldn't want the locked bootloader.

In fact, I think my first point reason is the massively overriding factor in all this. The modding and tech community is comparatively small, but they have the biggest voices. You piss them off by telling them you don't want their business and they'll go elsewhere, telling all their non-techy friends to do the same. Samsung could have locked the bootloader at any time, but chose not to, which is a very smart thing to do.

If you want an example of how the minority of techy people affect the whole industry, look no further than this:

500px-World_Wide_Smartphone_Sales.png

I wouldnt touch HTC again because the **** left me on Android 1.6 for almost a year when 2.1 was out. Customers remember stuff like that. The only way now I would buy a HTC phone is if it were Nexus branded, but the problem HTC have there is Samsung are absolutely killing them on quality of hardware.

Thanks Darren. Was a very good read. Google switching to Samsung too must have hurt HTC too.

Rev I know what you mean, moving from an X10 stuck on 1.6 to a Galaxy S on 2.2 was such a jump in quality that I'd never be interested in a Sony phone again.

But it's sad to see everyone now defaulting to Samsung. I think nearly to a man we all on here own Samsung phones. There needs to be competition, and real competition.

RIM, can survive imo, stick with being experts in qwerty handsets running Android and/or Windows Phone. With pieces of BBX as apps, like BBM. They still have the enterprise division. In fact my company will not allow me to set up my exchange webmail on my S3, they won't allow iPhones either, only Blackberrys.

This is the case with many companies. For now. So they still have a chance to survive, if they can accept the inevitability of it. Hopefully JP Morgan give them the cold hard truth. Software wise and hardware wise it's all converging into 2/3 companies. You only have to point to HTC, who were essentially pioneers of Android and while the OS is the best and most used OS there is, HTC are rumoured to need government support. So how can RIM compete in anything but their marketing and standing to business users?

Urgh,

spent most of the weekend trying to get music and films on my galaxy s3. So frustrating!

Having to convert everything off my itunes to mp3 because it was in .m4a format which doesn't play on the S3 (or at least I can't get it to play). I realise this isn't the fault of my S3, but it's still annoyed me and made me wish I had my iPhone back for convenience :D (I know in the long run I wouldn't think that)

And a handful of my movies are in an incorrect format. Anything I've got a digital copy from (as in those ones where you buy the DVD/BluRay and you get a free digital copy with it) won't play and need converting, but it takes hours.

Vendor lock in is a crap thing.

I tried iTunes once, it ruined my whole music collection. Not to mention it's pretty terrible to use. I really wondered why people choose to inflict it upon themselves. Is it because 'everyone else uses it so it must be alright' ?

There is probably a media player in the play store that can play them. But the only reason those formats exist is to bar the exit from apple products. Now you are in the free and open world you can play the free open files on the S3 and other android devices.

Â