Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Finally stuck a non-sense rom on my phone, and damn, is android ugly.

You don't really realise how much sense replaces until you get rid of it, but the stock dialer makes me throw up a little in my mouth every time I use it. The contacts app, is ugly as hell, and messaging? Damn, now I see why everyone flocks to handcent.

I was hoping to abandon sense because I don't like the way it does a few things, but I don't know if I can cope with this level of ugly?

I'm running cm6 atm, figured I'd try it out as it's gone stable. It's sure runs a hell of a lot better than the stock 2.2 desire rom, but aesthetically it's dreadful.

I've been running launcherpro on my desire for a while now, I much prefer it over rosie (the sense launcher) so that went straight back on (no idea why cm6 bundles adw when launcherpro is so much better, although I think launcherpro isn't open source), but it's all the other bits that you don't realise have been replaced that I don't know if I can put up with.

Even the notification bar is ugly. Got to question if I want to spend the time skinning this or just go for a sense based rom and wait for gingerbread before going non-sense.

I'm waiting to see what the touch wiz 2.2 from samsung is like before deciding if I'll go for cm mod or not. It's very buggy at the moment but hopefully they will iron them out. It should only be a few weeks away as I'm not running a branded version.

I've got the first official Samsung Froyo ROM on the SGS now. Runs very nice but JIT doesn't give Hummingbird anywhere near the FP boost that it gives Snapdragon.

To get it in the UK just connect to Kies, go to firmware upgrade and press CTRL-ALT-U-P together to put it into test mode. Then go out of firmware upgrade and back in where it should tell you there is an update to JPC available.

Touchwiz on this ROM isn't much different to Eclair TBH. I'll be going to CM6.1 when it's stable on the SGS but it will take a while I reckon. Wes is keeping RFS to start with which I reckon will just waste a bit of time because he'll end up having to go YAFFS2 even though it doesn't wear-level as well when he realises it's the only way to get the device IO to perform to HTC standards.

Just rooted my Desire and installed Custom ROM! Wow... the performance of it is even better! Also software to keep the battery life going for longer!

Definitely recommend rooting this phone if you have one!

Which rom are you running?

I've gone back to MCR r8 as I just can't live without the prettyness of sense, and that plus the power saving mod that uses the interactive governor to scale the cpu speed when the screens on, but locks it to 245mhz when the screens off and I'm getting ridiculous battery life, like 2 days+ with pretty decent usage.

Im using the leedroid rom at the minute!

Is the one you're using better?

I dunno really, I've never tried leedroid's. It's probably pretty much the same as any performance improvements in one quickly get added to others.

I like the modaco one though because I can custom bake it with their online kitchen and get rid of all the crap I never use.

I'd say so yes. You can then use apps like screen shot, my backup pro, various other apps that are great when they have root access to the file system. Also you can backup the nv data so you can restore the phone product code and imei if required. It's so easy to do you may as well as nothing will change in how the phone looks and works.

Typed using swype.

Lag fix will likely be fixed by the 2.2 update later this month. Basically look at all the apps that require root access and see if you'd use any of them.

Point is if it ain't broke don't fix it, ie no need to root your phone just for the sake of it. If there is still lag after 2.2 then I'll throw on a custom rom. I'll wait until then before I root.

Lag fix will likely be fixed by the 2.2 update later this month. Basically look at all the apps that require root access and see if you'd use any of them.

Point is if it ain't broke don't fix it, ie no need to root your phone just for the sake of it. If there is still lag after 2.2 then I'll throw on a custom rom. I'll wait until then before I root.

I'm entirely the opposite way, I don't see why you wouldn't root your phone.

Why hold off on an update when you can fix something now? Living with bugs that can be fixed easily is pretty foolish if you ask me.

When the 2.2 update comes out you can always stick that on. Or even better, use another modified rom that will still be better than the stock one?

To be honest it's the level of trouble it takes to root the x10 that has put me off doing it. I'm sure it's a lot easier to do on the galaxy s. But it still voids your warranty doesn't it?

No, the SGS doesn't have a locked bootloader so you can just flash update.zip files from the internal SD card in recovery mode. It's so easy to root it's untrue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=728754

Essentially, just download the update.zip on that post, copy it to the internal SD and turn your phone off. Hold down volume up and home and turn on the phone. It will get to the recovery menu where you just scroll down to apply update.zip and select it. It will then restart the phone and it will be rooted.

Rooted just means to give read/write access to the root filesystem of the phone so you're able to access all parts of it. It can't void your warranty as it only changes software. You can quite easily flash it back to factory if you need to using Kies / Odin.

Then to apply the lag fix just search the Android market for lag fix and use the RyanZA version. http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.rc.QuickFixLagFix

Â