Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

You've said pretty much everything I was going to say, but in fair less words :)

I should note, however, that the Nexus S is way different to the Galaxy S, contrary to popular reports. The more details emerge, the better it seems.

The Nexus S has a custom partition layout, based on SanDisk's iNAND that does away with Samsung's own moviNAND flash ROM. To force Samsung to remove their own flagship SSD and replace it with a competitor's shows that Google actually mean business with this. Also there is a custom GPS and Bluetooth antenna design, LED flash, ext4 filesystem throughout and obviously RFC. It's basically Google showing Samsung how the Galaxy S should have been made.

Mine should be here on Monday. Can't wait. :)

Techradar don't think it's as good as the galaxy s. Kinda changed my view on it a bit.

Also we can use fixes to get ext4 file system on the galaxy s. I'm sure you had one before the custom kernal. Also the gps is the same, a lad from google said that on xda.

For all that people give out about custom UI's they do improve the user experience. I've only had experience with 3 Android phones and the UI on the X10 was rubbish, but I like Touchwiz, (though use the zeam launcher) especially the contacts, messages and dialer. I like it all. While Sense is an absolute dream to use.

But one thing that really put me off the nexus s is the media side. It's got a gash media player while the galaxy s, well it's the best on the planet by a distance, it uses the gpu to full effect and plays avi files. Also I'm baffled by the lack of a removable sd card. I have the full 48gb in my Galaxy S, packed full of tv shows, movies, music.

I am literally the perfect galaxy s owner, I use it for everything it excels at and love the lightness. While we all know the screen is spectacular, I don't even use the camera. It's just the perfect fit, that's what I love about android, pick your phone.

You can have a widget with a picture of your kids on of course!

Or a widget that rotates through pictures of your kids!

Or a live wallpaper of your kids.

I am addicted to live wallpapers. I have tasker changing them every few days. Man I couldn't live without tasker.

That's the best way to guage how much Android is better than Apples iOS. Think of all the things you do on your android phone that you'd lose if you bought an iPhone.

Widgets, live wallpapers, custom home screens, tasker, swype, removable sd card and battery. Large amoled 4inch screens.

The Nexus S is now £429.99 in Carphone Warehouse. That's a lot of phone for the money!

I think someone from Google has had a word. They're spending a lot of money with advertising this phone so I think they actually want to get it mainstream rather than a dev phone like the Nexus one. It looks like Best Buy were trying it on with UK pricing but now it's more or less what it costs in the US.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/nexus-s

The Nexus S is now £429.99 in Carphone Warehouse. That's a lot of phone for the money!

I think someone from Google has had a word. They're spending a lot of money with advertising this phone so I think they actually want to get it mainstream rather than a dev phone like the Nexus one. It looks like Best Buy were trying it on with UK pricing but now it's more or less what it costs in the US.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/nexus-s

Great news! I lost my iphone4 last week :oops: and luckily I am covered with our home contents insurance, so I have £440 to spend on a new phone.

Tbh I have got a little bored with the iphone. I had a desire earlier on in the year and my main reason for trading it off for an iphone was the lack of apps in the market. When I got the iphone4 i loved the appstore, there is soooo much on there. BUT last month or so bar the camera and image editing apps and the news apps I have barely used anything else. I have dozens of games and Im just bored of them. And I have kind of been missing some of the features that make owning an android handset a joy. Stuff like not having to use itunes to put films, music and files on the phone. The app that downloads youtube vids to mp3s directly on the phone, even the free satnav.

So I have been looking into what phone to get, the choices were iphone 4, desire HD and nexus s. And I was swinging towards the desire HD due to the price, I really fancied the nexus s but the £550 price tag was putting me off, but now its been dropped to less than the desire HD I think my mind has been made up!

Just got to get hold of one now! :evil:

Man, if the Nexus S didnt have a relatively poor camera it would be such a no brainer for me to get next month. Why couldnt they put a great camera on it? :(

How much do those resell for dirk?

Also was using my mates Desire HD again last night, crackin phone and I love 4.3inch screens. My next phone will have a screen that size. But it'll have to be Super AMOLED. Wonder if Samsung would sell some of their screens to HTC.

5mp with flash? What's poor about that? My sgs takes good pics and its the same ccd I believe.

I want 720p video though. I might have good reason to shoot plenty of video next summer, and a 720p camera would be spiffy.

Also excellent new Galaxy S Samsung app call Kies Air on the Samsung App store. It lets you control your phone from any PC webbrowser. Basically you go into the app, choose wifi or 3G, then you get an ip which you enter on a web browser. Then accept the connection on the phone. You can now access and run loads of stuff from the phone on the pc. For example send text messages, download photo's etc.. it's another great app from Samsung.

I'm loving their apps, snap and go, all share and now this.

5mp with flash? What's poor about that? My sgs takes good pics and its the same ccd I believe.

I want 720p video though. I might have good reason to shoot plenty of video next summer, and a 720p camera would be spiffy.

the 720p recording on the sgs is excellent, but the nexus s has the same gfx hardware so it can only be h264 encoding licence issues. So the community will have it in there soon enough.

I got the old man an Orange San Francsico for xmas, just playing with it now. Its much better than my HTC Hero, its a hell of a phone for £99. How the hell are they knocking them out so cheaply?

I've just brought an Orange San Francsico. Happy with it for the price, but reading the forums it seems the phone they brought out to begin which got rave reviews had a better screen OLED instead of a TFT and 512MB and now 256MB..seems a bit shady to me. Read they will never run 2.2 and no flash. Also waiting to root it but reading loads of problems still with the TFT screens.

Yeah, I picked up the TFT version, been trying to root it for an hour or so and I'm not really having any luck. Im not overly bothered, I doubt my dad gives a flying **** whether its rooted or not but I thought it might be fun to try before I get a new phone and attempt to root that.

What I really cant stand though is the places on the internet where stuff likes this gets discussed, they all assume a certain level of knowledge (how many people know how to run command prompts from the directories of stuff that you have downloaded?) but if somebody is trying to figure out what all the jargon means and they dare to ask a simple question the hostility they get shown is unbelievable!

Yeah, I picked up the TFT version, been trying to root it for an hour or so and I'm not really having any luck. Im not overly bothered, I doubt my dad gives a flying **** whether its rooted or not but I thought it might be fun to try before I get a new phone and attempt to root that.

What I really cant stand though is the places on the internet where stuff likes this gets discussed, they all assume a certain level of knowledge (how many people know how to run command prompts from the directories of stuff that you have downloaded?) but if somebody is trying to figure out what all the jargon means and they dare to ask a simple question the hostility they get shown is unbelievable!

Do not meddle in the affairs of GNU hippies, for they are quick to flame.

;)

Â