Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

How is this bid or any other going to be significantly better for us than the Lerner bid given what we have already heard of the Lerner plans. The only way it could be 'better' is if there is an Abramovich-type bottomless wallet lurking in the background. And apart from the fact that there is no suggestion of this to date ...

Actually, I've seen reports claiming that the AV06 consortium contains not one but two billionaires. It's entirely possible that they've got more financial clout than Lerner.

Personally, everything I've read and heard about Lerner's bid makes me confident that we'll be in good hands with him as the chairman. But I'm not going to dismiss the possibility that other bids might be better for us.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petchey and Doug will decide which bid to accept based on the same criteria the club has been run for 25+ years - that is to say whichever bid will furnish Doug's pockets the most.

If the club has been run first and foremost to line Doug's pockets, why has the board not paid shareholders a dividend for (as far as I can recall) the last three years?

Because of the massive losses dougs been racking up.

And why do that when he could more easily vote for his bonus!!! :evil:

I heard the interview that the judge, Padfield gave on Five Live last week, it was not convincing.

He knew very little about football and even less it seemed about AVFC.

Lerner has impressed me so far, stick with him.

Only Villa could see Doug finally going and still make a meal of things !!!

Look, the ONLY way AV06 can beat Lerner is by significantly improving on what Lerner has offered. The fact that Ellis & Co. have already endorsed Lerner's bid basically means AV06 would have to absolutely blow Lerner out of the water completely to win, because Rothschild can still say 'yeah you're better but not by much, we prefer Lerner'.

Net result is, if anyone other than Lerner ends up owning Villa then we have ended up with a really really sweet gravy train. So in my opinion it is win-win for Villa. We may not get the man we want, as Lerner seems a very nice, honest and professional guy, but as I said, for another bid to win at this stage would mean it is a very very special bid indeed.

As frustrating as the timing of this is i'm with PB. (and digsby, BOF and a few others)

You just have to wait to see if the bid comes in and what it's like.

I agree it's difficult to see anyone having both the financial clout of Lerner along with a proven track record in sports. We know a great deal about what he'll try to do and we like it. A billionaire who's a safe bet, difficult to beat.

EIther the bid comes in and it isnt good enough to beat Lerner and we resent them for holding things up. Or it comes in and gets accepted as the better bid for the club. Hurrah!

Either way this - long term - is the ending we always wanted from the Ellis era, a great new manager and rich new owners. The cash-splashing may have to wait for 6 months or a season but just hold on in there. it'll be worth the wait.

Look, the ONLY way AV06 can beat Lerner is by significantly improving on what Lerner has offered. The fact that Ellis & Co. have already endorsed Lerner's bid basically means AV06 would have to absolutely blow Lerner out of the water completely to win, because Rothschild can still say 'yeah you're better but not by much, we prefer Lerner'.

Net result is, if anyone other than Lerner ends up owning Villa then we have ended up with a really really sweet gravy train. So in my opinion it is win-win for Villa. We may not get the man we want, as Lerner seems a very nice, honest and professional guy, but as I said, for another bid to win at this stage would mean it is a very very special bid indeed.

Absolutely.

And of course what we do have this week, which we didn't have - is absolute confirmation that Doug Ellis is selling.

Whatever happens, we have a great offer in place..... far more than we had 48/72 hours ago and a sale will happen.

If this bid is so much better that it can't be ignored, is it really such a bad thing?

Ultimately we know the fortunes of AVFC have improved beyond many of our dreams of a month or so ago.

Thats plenty enough for me to keep smiling.

I heard the interview that the judge, Padfield gave on Five Live last week, it was not convincing.

He knew very little about football and even less it seemed about AVFC.

Padfield is a front man, a fixer. Should this bid be successful then I doubt very much he would have anything at all to do with the business and would just melt away back to his chambers never to be heard of again. he is there as a go-between between the consortium and the banks and the club, nothing more

There is NO WAY Ellis would have gone on holiday if the Lerner deal wasn't done & dusted as far as he's concerned. He'd be sitting at his desk waiting for the phone to ring...Its not just about whose bid was the highest. Neville's was apparently at £64M The board would be duty bound to look at another bid but to be honest Ellis would be hated beyind belief if this was seen to go belly up after yesterday's announcement..not to mention the quality of the new board!! Keith Harris was adamant Ellis wanted someone to go on & cherish his beloved Aston Villa(sick bag at ready) if he sold up. RL's consortium has obviously put alot of work into not only the bid, but their plans for the club.

Ellis's ego won't let this turn into a nasty bidding war I'm sure..he wants to be seen as the saviour of the club as his last act and appointing MON & handing over the reigns to a consortium which has turned the Cleveland Browns into the 7th largest Sports Franchise in the US he knows he's backed a winnner.

I listened to Mr Padfield on Radio 5 and he hadn't done his homework on Villa at all and I for one was not convinced by him...

Like other shareholders I personally stand to profit alot more if Villa go for £70 Million but I'm more than happy to accept the lower bid if it means a REAL future for AVFC

Any new bid must have the confidence of MON as far as I am concerned.

If not and they are successful but he leaves, then it isn't better than Lerner.

Martin O'Neill doesnt strike me as a fool, and he knew from day one that there were other bids in the air.

I cant believe that he hasn't covered that possibility

Petchey and Doug will decide which bid to accept based on the same criteria the club has been run for 25+ years - that is to say whichever bid will furnish Doug's pockets the most.

If the club has been run first and foremost to line Doug's pockets, why has the board not paid shareholders a dividend for (as far as I can recall) the last three years?

Because of the massive losses dougs been racking up.

And why do that when he could more easily vote for his bonus!!! :evil:

I'm sorry - I don't follow that. Villa has been run to line Doug's pockets and the evidence is the fact that the club has been making losses? What do you mean?

Martin O'Neill doesnt strike me as a fool, and he knew from day one that there were other bids in the air.

As has been said, MON took a risk because he didn't know it was going to be sorted.

As has been said, MON took a risk because he didn't know it was going to be sorted.

But I am also sure he would have discussed matters with all potential suitors and based his decision on all considerations.

So if a bid comes in for Villa that is better for the future of the club, you think O'neill would walk just because it wasn't Lerner?

Why would he do that?

Lets just say AV06 have their bid accepted within the next 10 days. Does the whole 10 day cycle start again and others get a chance to outbid AV06? Or do you only get one crack at all this.

It would seem unfair to not allow an additional 10 days as Padfield could wait until 3 seconds before the deadline and make his bid thereby meaning that no one else could realistically bid.