Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

"This is a fantastic challenge," O'Neill said. "I am willing and ready to go.

There are some funds available to strengthen the squad and I am going to use them

New Villa manager Martin O'Neill

"I am well aware of the history of this football club. Trying to restore it to its days of former glory seems a long way away - but why not try?

"It is nearly 25 years since they won the European Cup but that is the dream.

From BBC.

One thing is for certain, MON doesnt give such comments knowing he shall work under elies.

If his ambition is to compete on the highest level he must be in the know there is an astromonic amount of money out there waiting for him.

Very exciting times in the year ahead and God knows we deserve it :cheers:

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more like selling a car and the guy who's going to buy it saying, "put on some new wheels and a new stereo and I'll cover the costs when I have the log book and it's registered in my name". Hopefully.

I think this more a case of a guy agreeing to buy a car, but doesn't mind if the current owner uses all the petrol that's already in the tank before the sale goes through.

analogies aside, we agree the sentiment behind it....Wooooo Hooooo. Ding Dong the witch is dead...

If the takeover hasn't happened or the details are not known before O'Neill buys his first two players we will know the future by those two buys.

If he has peanuts, the players will be average. If he goes out and spends £5m on a player we will know that the future is bright.

A bit random but what was that quote by some journalist from The Times(?) about Villa being the club with most potential scope for immediate improvement?

I cant for the life of me remember

A bit random but what was that quote by some journalist from The Times(?) about Villa being the club with most potential scope for immediate improvement?

PB has just given you a clue.

:winkold:

If the takeover hasn't happened or the details are not known before O'Neill buys his first two players we will know the future by those two buys.

If he has peanuts, the players will be average. If he goes out and spends £5m on a player we will know that the future is bright.

I disagree. O'Neill will pay peanuts if he feels the player is good enough. He is NOT an O'Leary that will want to pay top dollar in a show of 'Oh look at me, I signed a big price player.'

MON will pay top dollar IF he feels the player deserves it. IF he feels a player can do a job for peanuts, he'll buy the peanuts player.

He won't care whether the player is cheap. He will, and always has, done things his way and is rather bullish about it.

Let's aface it, you can't argue with him so far. He's delivered the goods at every club he's been at. (Okay apart from Norwich but Chase was worse than Doug!)

I disagree. O'Neill will pay peanuts if he feels the player is good enough. He is NOT an O'Leary that will want to pay top dollar in a show of 'Oh look at me, I signed a big price player.'

MON will pay top dollar IF he feels the player deserves it. IF he feels a player can do a job for peanuts, he'll buy the peanuts player.

He won't care whether the player is cheap. He will, and always has, done things his way and is rather bullish about it.

Let's aface it, you can't argue with him so far. He's delivered the goods at every club he's been at. (Okay apart from Norwich but Chase was worse than Doug!)

Perhaps I didn't word it too well. What I meant was if he starts buying top players from the start, then the future is bright (serious money is available). If he looks to be going bargain basement, that's different. There is always room for spotting gems of the future and I'm sure MON would prefer to do it this way but it takes a long time to build a team in this way.

For the record I've never been so confident of a manager spending F**k all on a player and turning him into a classs player as MON! We all want to see big name players but sometimes at clubs you MAKE the player a world class player instead of buying one.

eg- Dwight Yorke.

Hey we all know that Doug taught Tim all he knows. IF he can teach Charlie Chaplin how to fly fish, invent the scissor kick AND the Cruyff turn he can sure as hell take tiger Tim on at a fw sets of lawn tennis!!

Not sure how reliable Tribal Football is but TBH its only backing up what we already know & there's quotes from the Sunday Times apparently

Lerner emerges as Aston Villa favourite

tribalfooball.com - August 06, 2006

American tycoon Randy Lerner is set to complete his takeover of Aston Villa.

The Sunday Times says the 44-year-old has resolved to finalise the deal with Villa chairman Doug Ellis after talks, which broke down two weeks ago, resumed in recent days. With Martin O'Neill installed as manager, an appointment endorsed by Lerner, new ownership could transform the club.

"He is really driven to provide a winner, not just a winning team but the winner," former Browns star turned broadcaster Doug Dieken said of Lerner. A source close to Lerner confirmed a decision will be made in days. Only the consortium led by Athole Still, Sven-Göran Eriksson's agent, appears to be a credible alternative.

Lerner appreciates how important sport is to the people who follow it avidly, for he is one of them, and as an owner he is aware of his responsibilities.

"You're getting into the fabric of families," he said recently. "These are people's memories. This is how they spend their Sundays. You've got to be careful with that."

CLICK HERE