Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard some news today which I have no reason to doubt as the source is very reliable that Mike Neville has no chance due to certain individuals involved in his consortium.

Randy on Villa brink

By JANINE SELF

RANDY LERNER is on the brink of a £64million bid for Aston Villa.

The American billionaire’s advisers are back in talks with chairman Doug Ellis and Lerner will beef up his bid if he likes what he hears.

Lerner, 44, has been interested in buying Villa for some time but stepped back last week as three other consortiums broke their cover.

The owner of the NFL’s Cleveland Browns was also sidetracked by the annual migration of his gridiron squad to their pre-season training camp.

But Lerner, who made an £800million fortune through the sale of family business MBNA, still wants the Premiership club.

The fact Villa have offered their manager’s job to Martin O’Neill has also helped.

O’Neill was first choice to replace David O’Leary for both Lerner and rival bidder Michael Neville.

The former Celtic and Leicester boss has promised Ellis a decision by the weekend and, if he says yes, will join Villa on their pre-season tour of Germany and Holland.

That leaves octogenarian Ellis free to concentrate on a sell-off before the start of the season.

Lerner leads the race but faces stiff competition from Neville and a group led by judge Nicholas Padfield, who revealed last night they might join forces.

Padfield said: “We have been approached by representatives from other consortia. One is a representative of Mr Neville.

“We are considering opening discussions with them. Nothing is going to happen until I return from holiday at the end of the week.

“One crucial issue is the extent to which Doug Ellis wants to retain a stake in the club or whether he is prepared to sell his entire shareholding.

“The other critical issue is what the position is as regards the team manager — has one been appointed, is one going to be appointed, the nature of his contract etc.

“This will impact on the amount of finance available to buy new players.

“I have had no discussions with Mr Ellis and all of us find it surprising no one from the club has bothered to tell us what the position is.

“I don’t anticipate we will be in a great rush to make a bid simply because we don’t have all the relevant information on which to base it.”

The other consortium interested in buying Villa is led by Sven Goran Eriksson’s adviser Athole Still

Clicky

Not sure if anyone has just seen SSN but they are saying that a takeover could still be weeks away as any prospective owner needs to audit the clubs accounts!!!!! If this is true I am not sure if I could handle it!!!

A due diligence would normally be required BUT it is for the new purchaser and therefore:

1. It is possible that such an action is already ongoing.

2. The new owner may be so rich he see's no point in doing it for the sake of a few quid.

3. A new owner may be content with a signed audit report which I believe is due around now as it is around July that our accounts are usually published.

The problem is, we don't really know how far things have progressed as there is no reason why a due diligence has to occur after an official bid is made.

FFS nothing is going to happen tomorrow either is it?? I just know it, another day of checking sites, people saying it could be soon. Well it could not be soon either which is more likely as a lot of people have said these takeovers take time.

Foook all is gonna happen anytime soon, i don't think i am a lone when i say how fed up i am with it all.

We need at least a manager before the season starts but Doug and Bill **** that one up as well!!!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH Why can something just go right for once! :(

FFS nothing[/] is going to happen tomorrow either is it?? I just know it, another day of checking sites, people saying it could be soon. Well it could not be soon either which is more likely as a lot of people have said these takeovers take time.

Foook all is gonna happen anytime soon, i don't think i am a lone when i say how fed up i am with it all.

We need at least a manager before the season starts but Doug and Bill **** that one up as well!!!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH Why can something just go right for once! :(

You missed a word out there Jez:

We need at least a caretaker manager before the season starts!!!

You're quite right Jez, nothing is going to happen for weeks yet. The new manager (MON or whoever) probably won't be in charge until some time next month. If takeovers take as long as people say they do and MON won't start until it is finished, then I'm afraid we're stuck with Aitken/Steele for the first few games of the season.

we're stuck with Aitken/Steele for the first few games of the season.

Or here's another dark scenario:

What the hell happens if all this negotiating and excitement is too much for Dougie and his ticker packs up?

No way would anything useful get done before the New Year.

FFS Randy, sign the cheque, man! Tomorrow may be too late!!