Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

We're a PLC operating illegally.

What exactly have they done that's broken Company Law? I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything. Being a crap chairman isn't a crime I'm afraid.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on a side note anyone read that the billionnaire former tory party chairman has got 42% of Watford through a rights issue and wiped out their debts.

there are people out there and lets hope Rothschilds can find the right one.

Yeah but that only cost him £6 million quid, probably less...

Now, if he'd put that £6 million on Brave Inca yesterday, we might have been in business ;)

We're a PLC operating illegally.

What exactly have they done that's broken Company Law? I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything. Being a crap chairman isn't a crime I'm afraid.

Its not about being a crap chairman. If my thinking is right, the PLC is operating illegally. Blandy earlier wrote this (which I was commenting on)

There's the Law (which is very weak on Corporate Governance and responsibilities) and Guidance which is quite explicit, but not completely compulsory.

Law states that "Directors must act bona fide in the interests of the company and must not exercise their powers for any collateral purpose. A director must not place himself in a position where his duty to the company and his personal interests conflict and he must not profit from his position as a director. In addition, a director must exercise reasonable care and such skill as might reasonably be expected of a person of his knowledge and experience." (this includes N.E.Ds who ARE part of the board.

Corporate Governance Guidance is a bit clearer and a lot more detailed. here's a pdf file for example.

Anyone who does read it is likely to conclude that the "effort" at VP falls a long long way short of best practice.

Just off the top of my head Dougs construction company consistantly gets contracts for the majority of the re-development work at Villa Park and Bodymore Heath... Is that not a conflict of interests?

As a PLC we have no CEO (illegal), no Finance Director (illegal) and a chairman who is way past the recommended PLC retirement age (Not sure about this one - illegal??)

Either way laws are being broken however trivial they may seem to some.

Could we as fans/shareholders take the board to court - for no other reason than to highlight the shoddy goings-on.

Would this kind of exposure motivate the fan base to push for change?

This is what I'm getting at.

Like I said earlier - Would this be a viable strategy? Would it work or not?

JG, Steve Kind the NED is acting as FD but the CEO point it not illegal not to have one and anyway Ellis would claim he is doing the job.

The point about retirement age was made when Ellis turned 70 (or was it 75) anyway when we went to a PLC he put a rulle in bypassing the regulation which is something he could do.

There is nothing we could do in court but we could call an EGM but this would require a lot of effort ( I think you need to get 10% of the shareholding to agree) andno-one seems to be willing to do this.

I have admitted to myself that we can do nothing until he dies for reason stated previously but I just hope this is soon for the sake of the club's future.

As Ian says 10% of the shares required for an EGM, However there is no point as Ellis has obviously managed to keep Petchey happy therefore their 58% combined shares will out vote anything.

Ellis will also again state the club are in talks over a takeover and say he is prevented from commenting on anything.

This is such a parody on Aston Villa FC. I think that many players do know that the club is a very poorly runned company and in the summer we´ll see a few good names leaving...

Why is it so quite at Villa home games? No protest...no booing?

I cant believe what is happening with AVFC...and it has gone on a few years now!

Protest and make your anger heard at the next game home!

Somebody very high in the management team at Aston Villa was recently removed from service a court case was set up for unfair dismissal and low and behold just before the case started an out of court agreement was made. You will never beat the board or the chairman.

Somebody very high in the management team at Aston Villa was recently removed from service a court case was set up for unfair dismissal and low and behold just before the case started an out of court agreement was made. You will never beat the board or the chairman

I wonder how much that cost the club? I can't see why we would settle out of court in our current financial situation unless we did have something to hide.

People being made redundant are signing disclaimers so they dont talk to the press!!

And being paid for doing so Ginge?

When do you think the lid might be blown off what is being hidden at B6 Ginge?

The truth is out there...

Apart from Villa fans this story has decidely gone very cold. Infact in press terms its dead. It might come back to life, but I suspect all the national papers have lost interest in it. There is definitely something strange going on behind the scenes, but papers aren’t interested unless they can actually start spinning a story. I think the summer will see movement; and then it might be very quick.

Somebody very high in the management team at Aston Villa was recently removed from service a court case was set up for unfair dismissal and low and behold just before the case started an out of court agreement was made. You will never beat the board or the chairman.

Good old Abdul Rachid got a big pay off for doing an awful job as commercial manager for many years?

No wonder we are hemmoraging money.

spill the beans then...

the whole can....

Have you been watching the chairman eating his lunch again Pablo? :winkold:

Mrs Ellis only gives him the small half sized cans cuz he cribbles them too much.

all down his new suit.

Ellis has obviously managed to keep Petchey happy

If he has, I wonder how he has Denis?

Hmmmm, wonder if someone's done a deal?

And the new septuagenarian owner is.........