Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

I'm in Norway. But I'm not going to buy the club. Can't see any other Norwegians doing that either.

John Fredriksen might, but it's no point coming here to discuss, as he lives in his £100m house in London. He has previously invested a lot in Norwegian club Vaalerenga. Which is my Norwegian team. He's worth around £3bn, but I don't think he is looking for an English feeder club.

Where in Norway are you Drat?

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he claims an insider has told him michael neville is searching for other investors because the commers dont think villa offers value for money

This backs up my opinion of the comer group, that they are only in it for the money!! For once I am more convinced that doug is doing the right thing for the club (admitedly it's the first time). I actually hope that this particular takeover does fall through and other investors appear that want what's best for AVFC and not their own profit and loss account.

Can't talk to the fans, can't buy...or loan players....and get lots of media attention from hacks trying to scoop the takeover...

I bet Ellis is seriously pissed he didn't think of this takeover lark 6 or 7 AGMs ago :!:

Not said much on this but I think that the Comers are in it for money and also the land. Here is my thoughts on it, it is quite possibly covered on one of the other 42 pages but hey ho.

Buy Villa for £64m or whatever having worked out that to run them for a year is not a problem. Sell the land to Comer Homes for 'market value', which given the planning permission has gone will be less as only actual house builders (what do Comer homes do!) will be interested. Giving the club say £10m for players as promised, well sort of.

Develop the land and make a profit, house building is like that you see.

Then sell off Villa to any number of purchasers who are interested (of that we are sure) in selling but are not able to deal with Ellis for whatever reason. (Senility on one side being one). For let's say £64m which given that with £10m of 'extra' playing staff the club will be about worth.

So I think that makes them money.... AVFC will still be here and in the hands of someone who wants a FOOTBALL club not a business with some land.....

I'm in Norway. But I'm not going to buy the club. Can't see any other Norwegians doing that either.

John Fredriksen might, but it's no point coming here to discuss, as he lives in his £100m house in London. He has previously invested a lot in Norwegian club Vaalerenga. Which is my Norwegian team. He's worth around £3bn, but I don't think he is looking for an English feeder club.

Where in Norway are you Drat?

In Oslo stopping at the Raddison Plaza for a couple of nights - just watched the footy - Im back in Oslo in a few weeks so open invite to ALL Norwegian Villains - maybe we could get a few beers in?

Guest RantinRob
I am told from very reliable sources that Mr.Ellis has much more pressing issues to deal with at the moment regarding his health (or lack of it).

Oh dear.

How sad.

Never mind.

windsor.jpg

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/aston_villa/article337752.ece

Irish magnates pull out of £64m Villa takeover

By Phil Shaw

Published: 11 January 2006

The proposed £64m take-over of Aston Villa, which would have seen the octogenarian chairman Doug Ellis finally relinquish control of the Premiership club, appears to have fallen through after the Irish property magnates linked with the deal decided not to proceed.

Brian and Luke Comer, the Galway-born, Hertfordshire-based brothers who were attracted to Villa by the prospect of developing land owned by the club within the grounds of Villa Park, are understood to regard Ellis' valuation as too high given the location and nature of the property and the price being sought.

After negotiations which started in the autumn, the Cromers have withdrawn. The Solihull entrepreneur and lifelong Villa supporter Michael Neville will now try to find fresh investors for his consortium, which was reported to have offered 560p per share to buy the majority shareholding, held by Ellis and the businessman Jack Petchey.

The failure of the take-over will come as a blow, if not an unexpected one, to the Villa manager, David O'Leary. The one-time free-spender at Leeds United had hoped to have funds for strengthening one of the top division's smallest squads during the January transfer window.

Club sources, who had claimed the delays were caused by the legal process of "due diligence", have yet to confirm that the deal is dead. But they do not now expect Ellis' controversial reign - which stretches back to the 1960s with only a brief hiatus a quarter of a century ago, during which Villa won the European Cup - to end in the near future.

Ellis told shareholders at Villa's annual meeting in October that he hoped to be in a position to let shareholders know about the viability of take-over proposals "within a month". Despite the Cromers' interest becoming public, no comment has been forthcoming.

The affair has been played out in contrast with the quickfireinvestment in Portsmouth by a Russian multi-millionaire. However, Villa fans frustrated by the collapse of the Irish bid and Ellis' alleged lack of ambition, may come to view events differently. Neither brother has a strong interest in football.

The proposed £64m take-over of Aston Villa, which would have seen the octogenarian chairman Doug Ellis finally relinquish control of the Premiership club, appears to have fallen through after the Irish property magnates linked with the deal decided not to proceed.

Brian and Luke Comer, the Galway-born, Hertfordshire-based brothers who were attracted to Villa by the prospect of developing land owned by the club within the grounds of Villa Park, are understood to regard Ellis' valuation as too high given the location and nature of the property and the price being sought.

After negotiations which started in the autumn, the Cromers have withdrawn. The Solihull entrepreneur and lifelong Villa supporter Michael Neville will now try to find fresh investors for his consortium, which was reported to have offered 560p per share to buy the majority shareholding, held by Ellis and the businessman Jack Petchey.

The failure of the take-over will come as a blow, if not an unexpected one, to the Villa manager, David O'Leary. The one-time free-spender at Leeds United had hoped to have funds for strengthening one of the top division's smallest squads during the January transfer window.

Club sources, who had claimed the delays were caused by the legal process of "due diligence", have yet to confirm that the deal is dead. But they do not now expect Ellis' controversial reign - which stretches back to the 1960s with only a brief hiatus a quarter of a century ago, during which Villa won the European Cup - to end in the near future.

Ellis told shareholders at Villa's annual meeting in October that he hoped to be in a position to let shareholders know about the viability of take-over proposals "within a month". Despite the Cromers' interest becoming public, no comment has been forthcoming.

The affair has been played out in contrast with the quickfireinvestment in Portsmouth by a Russian multi-millionaire. However, Villa fans frustrated by the collapse of the Irish bid and Ellis' alleged lack of ambition, may come to view events differently. Neither brother has a strong interest in football.

I sat very close to Mr Ellis in the Albion Directors box and he lookedvery unwell to me.

Take it from me he ain't any better..... and I geninely take no pleasure in saying that

Denis - I never belived that he was - 12 months ago whilst having a minor op on my shoulder I was told by one of the nurses at a private hostpital that he knew of Mr Ellis's condition and told me despite his statements that he was on the mend etc, (prior to his heart bypass), the situation was not like that at all.

With the perhaps impending collapse of the takeover for what ever reason, it may be that the Comers are taking a back seat awating the inevitable and looking to buy " on the cheap" off his estate.

Are we necessarily in a btter position. If Doug could see through something that with the deal - all we can hope for is that his instructions have been passed on, that the deal must be best for football reasons, not someone that will sell the land and make a quick buck, as it seems that's what the Comers wanted.

Perhaps it's time for Neville to make a statement and stop this constant smoke screen

What smoke screen? And why is it Neville who needs to make a statement?

The article correctly states:

Hello Doug? Are you there? What's happening?