Bulger Killer Returned To Jail [Poll Added]

Reality

What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the punishment for Venebles and Thompson should have been?

• Their punishment was too severe
    • The punishment was correct
    • The punishment should have been longer
    • They should never have been let out
    • The Death Sentence

For the record, i voted death.

I'm not going to jump on any bandwagons or label you anything, but i'm intrigued to know what gives you the moral superiority in this situation when you advocate such a thing?

If you knowingly put someone to death (or murder as it's commonly known), or even advocate it puts you in a position that you are just as bad as those who kill?

What gives you the right to take a life?

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to jump on any bandwagons or label you anything, but i'm intrigued to know what gives you the moral superiority in this situation when you advocate such a thing?

If you knowingly put someone to death (or murder as it's commonly known), or even advocate it puts you in a position that you are just as bad as those who kill?

I'm not claiming moral superiority,

in my view if we had the death penalty as an option then the criminal knows what could await them... I know some will argue it is no deterrent, but you will always get certain members of society for whom the law means nothing. However, it could deter the thief holding up the post office from killing the post master for example.

My opinion isn't one i come too lightly, i did question my view on the death penalty for those who abuse children, based on the thought that if a child abuser knew he would be hung if caught, would that increase the likely hood of them also murdering their victim(s)?

TBH CED, I'm not sure sailorboy is suggesting he himself would adminster death to these 2 (although he well might like to, i've no idea).

I think he's advocating the state executing these two 10 year old boys. Still absurd and distasteful, but slightly better I think than murdering them himself. :winkold:

I stand by my original statement.

Is it your intention just to come on this site and repeatedly hurl mindless and incorrect insults at other posters on VT?

Incorrect in your opinion, which isn't one i particularly value.

Actually, when you are talking about me then my knowledge of what I intend carries more weight than your uninformed opinion.

That was, after all, what you were hinting at when you said 'guess'.

Just to jog your memory on occasions Chindie has labled me, a racist, a moron, scum, On this thread he has said i was "stealing air from the populace" which is a polite way of wishing me dead Plus numerous other insults and snide remarks.

No need to jog my memory - if you revisit the one particular thread then you'll see that Chindie pointed out that I had spoken to him about what he had posted.

So as i say I stand by my original statement and include you in it.

So, just for clarification, you are calling me an 'apologist for scum', are you?

You need it clarified?

. However, it could deter the thief holding up the post office from killing the post master for example.

how would that help in the bulger case? :?

in my view if we had the death penalty as an option then the criminal knows what could await them...

I think if you believe capital punishment would have prevented the bulger killing, you're really barking up the wrong tree fella.

you think these kids thought through their actions?

I'm not claiming moral superiority,

in my view if we had the death penalty as an option then the criminal knows what could await them... I know some will argue it is no deterrent, but you will always get certain members of society for whom the law means nothing. However, it could deter the thief holding up the post office from killing the post master for example.

My opinion isn't one i come too lightly, i did question my view on the death penalty for those who abuse children, based on the thought that if a child abuser knew he would be hung if caught, would that increase the likely hood of them also murdering their victim(s)?

I'd have had more sympathy i've you'd tried to defend hanging 2 ten year old boys on the grounds of retribution rather than deterence matey. Still not right IMO, but i think your desire to see these 2 boys hanged untul death is based more upon retribution than deterence. If it's based upon deterence, it is soooo wayward.

In my opinion I think you are misunderestimating the complexities of these peoples mind sets.

In their opinion, being attracted to a child is perfectly normal, they don't know any better. They may be aware that society does not permit it but they are driven to do what they do by the most powerful force we have and that is our sex drives and no punishment awaiting them will deter them, much like you or I will still fancy/desire a co-worker even if she has a wedding ring. Humans don't need deterrents they need prevention. And in my opinion instead of threatening them with the death penalty, castrating them would be a more effective way of solving the problem.

In this case however, a death penalty will serve no purpose whatsoever. These kids (at the time) did what they did because they didn't know any better, it's as simple as that. It doesn't make it right but that is the reality of the situation, for us to prevent these things happening in the future isn't, as i said, killing them off. It's rehabilitating them and understanding what went wrong and using this knowledge to prevent it. They shouldn't in my opinion be released to enjoy a normal life but nor should they be put to death. Not because they don't deserve to die but simply because no one has a right to take another life. No one does.

. However, it could deter the thief holding up the post office from killing the post master for example.

He asked me a question about the death penalty, not the bulger case.

bollocks he did.

he said, "IN THIS SITUATION".

in my view if we had the death penalty as an option then the criminal knows what could await them...

I think if you believe capital punishment would have prevented the bulger killing, you're really barking up the wrong tree fella.

Putting the body on railtracks in an attempt for it to be totally destroyed beyond recognition tells me they did.

keep them locked up and we'll throw money at them, let them loose and we throw money at them, whilst deciding what to do guess what we do? yep throw money at them

im too young to really remember the details of what happened, and not interested enough in law or the theories of rehabilitation to comment, but what i do know is that we piss far far too much money up the wall for these people

i do find it strange how this happened within what 2 days of the yorkshire ripper should be released story resurfacing, another example of how we will piss a fortune of tax payers money up the wall

bollocks he did.

He asked me what gave me moral superiority in the situation under debate.

The question about knowingly putting someone to death was in a seperate question. In my view that was a question about the general use of the death penalty.

Putting the body on railtracks in an attempt for it to be totally destroyed beyond recognition tells me they did.

i don't see why it tells you that, but there you go.

They clearly didn't know enough about forensics or body disposal.

bollocks he did.

He asked me what gave me moral superiority in the situation under debate.

yes he did. The situation under debate being hanging the 2 bulger boys. Couldn't be any clearer matey.

keep them locked up and we'll throw money at them, let them loose and we throw money at them, whilst deciding what to do guess what we do? yep throw money at them

im too young to really remember the details of what happened, and not interested enough in law or the theories of rehabilitation to comment, but what i do know is that we piss far far too much money up the wall for these people

i do find it strange how this happened within what 2 days of the yorkshire ripper should be released story resurfacing, another example of how we will piss a fortune of tax payers money up the wall

And yet implimenting the death penalty would cost more, so we'd be throwing more money away.

I'm not sure what you're advocating here fella.

Death to all criminals to save the taxpayers money?

And yet implimenting the death penalty would cost more, so we'd be throwing more money away.

:?

how would killing someone cost more than keeping them in prison for life?

Â