The iPhone Topic

mrchnry

1] I would imagine you turn the iPhone off in the same way as you turn an iPod touch off. Hold down the button that turns the screen off for three seconds, then slide your finger over the screen when prompted.

1] I would imagine you turn the iPhone off in the same way as you turn an iPod touch off. Hold down the button that turns the screen off for three seconds, then slide your finger over the screen when prompted.

Thanks very much. I didn't have a clue as haven't used an iTouch before. I had the generation of iPod before that.

That's question one answered, so anyone else have any feedback on the other two please?

Ok, I have some more iPhone questions if anyone would be kind enough to please answer them. They are as follows:

1) Firstly, how do you switch the iPhone off? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, yet I can only seem to put it on standby, yet need to turn it off to connect to my new operator (O2).

2) I am going abroad in the next few months and want to make sure I don't get a massive bill, as I don't need to use internet or anything abroad. All I want to do is to be able to receive calls and send texts. Doe anyone know what I need to turn off in order to be safe? Like do I turn 3G off, and if so would I still be able to receive calls and make them?

3) Lastly, I was wondering what sort of life you all get out of your battery? Mine doesn't seem to be too great. It lasts for about two days. Also, what percentage do you all let the battery to before you recharge it?

Anyway, I hope someone will be able to help me with these things. My big concern is going abroad, as I don't want to run up a massive bill for things I have no need to use. Thanks in advance. :D

Rev answered the top one.

2) Settings > General > Locations services OFF

+ Network > Data roaming OFF

Also phone o2 and check what they might need to do.

3) Depends on; App usage, Music usage, Data usage, Network usage. If you turn off wifi / Data roaming / Location services etc - you could push 3 days out of it. I leave it to go red before charging.

Ok, I have some more iPhone questions if anyone would be kind enough to please answer them. They are as follows:

1) Firstly, how do you switch the iPhone off? Sorry if this seems like a silly question, yet I can only seem to put it on standby, yet need to turn it off to connect to my new operator (O2).

2) I am going abroad in the next few months and want to make sure I don't get a massive bill, as I don't need to use internet or anything abroad. All I want to do is to be able to receive calls and send texts. Doe anyone know what I need to turn off in order to be safe? Like do I turn 3G off, and if so would I still be able to receive calls and make them?

3) Lastly, I was wondering what sort of life you all get out of your battery? Mine doesn't seem to be too great. It lasts for about two days. Also, what percentage do you all let the battery to before you recharge it?

Anyway, I hope someone will be able to help me with these things. My big concern is going abroad, as I don't want to run up a massive bill for things I have no need to use. Thanks in advance. :D

Rev answered the top one.

2) Settings > General > Locations services OFF

+ Network > Data roaming OFF

Also phone o2 and check what they might need to do.

3) Depends on; App usage, Music usage, Data usage, Network usage. If you turn off wifi / Data roaming / Location services etc - you could push 3 days out of it. I leave it to go red before charging.

Oh two days is good for the battery life. it used to be one day . They've actually improved the battery life with 3.0 (and with an earlier upgrade to 2.0 too). Also if you dont use it, turn off bluetooth, same for wifi, only have that on if your actually using it, otherwise it will continuously search for wifi

Thanks for all the help. I feel like such an iPhone noob.

Just another quick one about going abroad. Can I still have 3G turned on? I assume that will be used in order to pick up a local network in order for me to make and receive calls. Yet I'm not sure if this is correct.

Don't think theres much point brigga, 3G is all about the info side of it, if your just making calls 3G is...........just a phone signal

If I turn 3G off would I still be able to make and receive calls? I'm just worried about anything that I can get charged for abroad, as I don't want apps to be downloading stuff without me knowing.

Apparently if I turn 3G off then it uses EDGE or GPRS. Would these be free to use abroad? Plus would they be free to use in UK if I feel like turning 3G off to save battery? Sorry for all the questions. :D

Turn all roaming off as stated above - you WILL get charged if you go abroad and connect to the net (unless you are on free wireless). Yes it will still work on edge, gprs over here - its all free!

I have just made a phone-call, texted a couple of people, checked my e-mail, gone on the net, plus played a game all in the space of 30 minutes. I'm not showing off what I can do in 30 minutes by the way. It is just leading to me saying that it ate up 10% of my battery!!

On standby it seems to be fine and I could probably get two and a half days out of the battery. Yet when I use it to do things the battery seems to drain like mad.... :(

I hope I don't have a faulty battery.

I leave it to go red before charging.

How quaint, its almost got Ivy on it and roses growing in the garden

Theres no need anymore the modern batteries dont work like that any more, they work on cycles and if you use a bit of a cycle, its just a bit of a cycle

I leave it to go red before charging.

How quaint, its almost got Ivy on it and roses growing in the garden

Theres no need anymore the modern batteries dont work like that any more, they work on cycles and if you use a bit of a cycle, its just a bit of a cycle

Apple website

So according to Apple 'at least' one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down) improves the cycle. So I am actually doing what is recommended by Apple themselves :-)

• 3 weeks later...

scaremongering or real threat ?

iPhone owners could be at risk of having their mobiles hacked after two researchers reveal their findings at a conference in Las Vegas.

Security experts Charlie Miller and Collin Mulliner have found a flaw in the way the device handles text messages which could allow hackers complete control of the phone.

The hack would come in the form of a burst of SMS messages which contain a single square character.

They would let the hacker control dialling the phone, visiting websites, the phone's camera and also sending texts to other iPhones, allowing control of them as well.

Mr Miller said: "This is serious. The only thing you can do to prevent it is turn off your phone.

"Someone could pretty quickly take over every iPhone in the world with this."

Mr Mulliner told Sky News Online: "In the business world this could have high value, if you could stop decision makers making or receiving phone calls.

"Mobile security is really taking off so we are just the first to discover this bug. There is no way this would have stayed secret."

Mr Miller will reveal the flaw in the Apple phone during a speech to the Black Hat cybersecurity conference today.

He claims to have told Apple about the potential bug over a month ago, but the company still hasn't released a patch to combat the potential hacks.

source:news.sky.com

I got a strange text from O2 yesterday saying that through a fault in the iphone software that I had been charged for Data usage whilst abroad, O2 were aware of this and would refund it in my next bill

Thing is O2's billing site is down and I cant access my bill to find out how much it is

reboot the phone first off

Keep the top button held in to turn it off, leave it a few mins and see if it remembers it when you switch it back on, or will at least let you put the password back in

Â