Super Bowl XLIV 2010

Tegis

Pick a winner  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a winner

• New Orleans Saints
    • Indianapolis Colts

I'm a bit naive about the terms of American Football, although I think I've just about got the rules. What exactly is a 'drive'? I'm gathering it's when the player runs through the opposition to gain however many yards the drive is? Or something like that :? :huh:

I'm a bit naive about the terms of American Football, although I think I've just about got the rules. What exactly is a 'drive'? I'm gathering it's when the player runs through the opposition to gain however many yards the drive is? Or something like that :? :huh:

A drive is just the period of time that an attacking team is progressing the ball towards the endzone. It just means "on the attack" basically though I'm sure other VTers could elaborate if needs be.

Ps AFC south rules!

A drive is a series of plays where one team maintains possession throughout. E.g. that last Colts drive took 11 plays and 4:30 to go 96 yards.

What exactly is a 'drive'?

It's more or less the movement by the offense up the field.

Cheers.

In terms of Premier League comparison what sort of difference in quality are we talking about between the Colts/Saints? Are we talking Man U-Hull or something a bit more even? I gather the Colts are the favourites.

The only thing i don't understand is the yellow line? If you pass it are you on a 1st and until then you are on 2nd 3rd 4th?

No idear.

You have 4 attempts to advance the ball 10 yards. If you get to that yellow line you get another 4 attempts (or downs) to advance another 10 yards. If you are tackled 4 times before reaching that yellow line then the opposition gets the ball at the place of the 4th down, hence why most of the time a team will punt on 4th down to increase the distance the opposition has to return the ball.

The only thing i don't understand is the yellow line? If you pass it are you on a 1st and until then you are on 2nd 3rd 4th?

No idear.

The yellow line (which is digitally added for TV...) is the "to gain line"... it's like rugby league, except instead of six tackles there's four but you get a new set of four after gaining ten yards. That's why you'll see 1st down and 10 yards to go, 3rd and 4 etc. If after the fourth attempt you have failed then the other team takes over the ball at that spot (which is why 99% of the time a team will attempt a kick on their fourth attempt).

What exactly is a 'drive'?

It's more or less the movement by the offense up the field.

Cheers.

In terms of Premier League comparison what sort of difference in quality are we talking about between the Colts/Saints? Are we talking Man U-Hull or something a bit more even? I gather the Colts are the favourites.

It should be close. Man U - Arsenal maybe

Â