The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

That was the most accurate I can recall Mrs. Bird ever being to be honest. She has no idea what she is watching, ever.

I had Froch by 3 in this one. Saying he has no chance against Ward is harsh IMO, he did well in the last few rounds of the first fight and seems to be better than ever now. He'll obviously be a massive under dog but I wouldn't completely discount him without a second thought.

I would completely discount him. Ward is too slick, too quick, and just too good. Froch will eat left hooks all night and get beat up on the inside. Ward wasn't exactly 100% for their first fight (if you believe his comments) and although Froch did come back into it, that was because Ward won the first 9 or 10 rounds by a landslide and Ward gassed a little.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Froch dominated last night. Thought he was a little cocky with how low his guard was but was able to cope with kesslers punches

That's always been his style though, he is all out attack and no defence the low slung left always leaves him open he is lucky that he has a chin.

I can't see a rematch between him and Ward being too different to the first fight.

Also all the talk of Ward fighting him in England is a bit off if you ask me, he is the number 1 and has nothing to prove Froch needs to chase him.

When was the last time mayweather fought outside of Vegas? I know there is talk of a fight in the UK but if that happens it will be because he wants the fight there not because someone has asked for it.

Absolutely.  Froch is challenging Ward, so he fights on Ward's terms.  

I'm with Pangloss on the whole watching the fight as a neutral thing too. Very rarely do I watch a fight cheering for one guy over the other, I just want to see a good fight.  It's the same when I watch Champions League football. 

Absolutely.  Froch is challenging Ward, so he fights on Ward's terms.  

I'm with Pangloss on the whole watching the fight as a neutral thing too. Very rarely do I watch a fight cheering for one guy over the other, I just want to see a good fight.  It's the same when I watch Champions League football. 

Boxing is a whole different kettle of fish to football, when watching the boxing I agree in the fact that I just want to see a good fight, but there are always exceptions to that rule there are boxers that I always want to see do well and others who I am desperate to see GKTFO.

rigondeaux vs donaire - prime example where I wanted to see a good fight and wasn't bothered by the outcome

alvarez vs trout - prime example where I wanted to see a good fight and was rooting for Alvarez

Froch vs Kessler - I kind of wanted Kessler to win but wasn't overly bothered at all as I knew it was going to be a cracking fight

What a great fight, I booked it on box office just for the fight, they both just fight each other so well. It was great to see they are good friends too.... Ward knows froch brings the money. Ward doesn't attract money, it's upto ward whether he wants his biggest pay day now. Back to froch and kessler both are a credit to boxing

What I don't like about Ward is that he wants to have all of his fights in Oakland California, which literally is his 'backyard'. He has only fought outside of California a couple of times.

He doesn't necessarily have to come to England, but a fight in Vegas could be the one. Neither fighter have fought in Vegas before, believe it or not, and I'm sure that's something Froch would like to do.

It sounds like Ward wants silly money to fight in England and he simply won't get that, in his interview with Sky he talked about Wembley stadium, that simply won't sell out. I think Ward will price himself out of a fight in England.

Ward has a problem, he can't draw flies to shit in his own country, he is just too good, he makes all of his fights look easy, plus a lot of his fights are dull because he neutralises his opponents best weapons with his skill and dirty tactics. He has never been in the sort of exciting fights you see Froch in.

Ward will never be a big money fighter despite his talents.

That said I expect there to be a Vegas fight between the two and it'll be a HBO headliner. The funny thing is that the only thing Ward has to offer is the opportunity for Froch to avenge his defeat since Ward has recently been stripped of the WBC title. He has the WBA (super) title, which is a paper title (Froch now has the real WBA belt) and the Ring magazine title, but really none of those are serious titles.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

What a great fight, I booked it on box office just for the fight, they both just fight each other so well. It was great to see they are good friends too.... Ward knows froch brings the money. Ward doesn't attract money, it's upto ward whether he wants his biggest pay day now. Back to froch and kessler both are a credit to boxing

That can all change though.  Froch didn't start earning big money until he was older than Ward is today.  Froch's fight against Taylor (which was an absolute classic) wasn't even picked up by TV in the UK. 

Watch the 12th round.  It's amazing. 

http://youtu.be/wYcGdQdoUbc

(the embed is better quality video, the link includes the end of the 11th round and corner talk going into the 12th where Froch is told he needs to win the round big to stand a chance)

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Froch has a couple of interesting options from here.

I'd half like to see him fight Stiglitz and pick up the WBO belt. There's also the chance to fight for the vacated WBC belt.

I also think there could be a potential fight with Chavez Jr. Froch is now with HBO and Chavez is a HBO fighter who is too big for his current weight. Would be a cracking fight.

plus a lot of his fights are dull because he neutralises his opponents best weapons with his skill and dirty tactics.

And this is the exact reason I can't see there being any upsets in a rematch between the two of them

plus a lot of his fights are dull because he neutralises his opponents best weapons with his skill and dirty tactics.

And this is the exact reason I can't see there being any upsets in a rematch between the two of them

Exactly plus Ward hurt Froch a couple of times in their first fight and he is clearly developing his offence (e.g. in the Dawson fight). I don't see anything other than a wide decision.

How many fights do you think Froch has left?  He didn't turn pro until he was 25 so he started late, but he will be 36 when he next fights (it is his birthday in about a month) and he has had some absolute wars with the best possible opponents over the last four or five years.   It's weird to say, but they don't appear to have affected him yet. I think Froch is as good now as he ever has been, he is a better fighter at 35 than he was at 30 and he shows no sign of slowing down, but time catches up with everybody.  He is box office at the moment so he would be foolish to quit but how many more fights? Two? Three? Keep going until he loses and then have a farewell fight against a no hoper in Nottingham? 

How many fights do you think Froch has left?  He didn't turn pro until he was 25 so he started late, but he will be 36 when he next fights (it is his birthday in about a month) and he has had some absolute wars with the best possible opponents over the last four or five years.   It's weird to say, but they don't appear to have affected him yet. I think Froch is as good now as he ever has been, he is a better fighter at 35 than he was at 30 and he shows no sign of slowing down, but time catches up with everybody.  He is box office at the moment so he would be foolish to quit but how many more fights? Two? Three? Keep going until he loses and then have a farewell fight against a no hoper in Nottingham? 

If he fights Ward next he perhaps has one fight left lol.

He has options: Stiglitz, Bhop (who has called out Froch), Chavez Jr (who will move to SMW soon), possible domestic dust up with Groves (would like that so I can see Groves get brutalised) and then Ward. 

Really depends, I think he should cash in and have one or two fights before Ward.

Groves is not ready for Carl Froch.  Groves likes to stand and exchange too much, he admitted it in the post fight interview last night, and if he does that with Carl Froch then it will be a very short fight indeed. 

I'd stay away from BHop if I were Froch. I think Ward will beat him again, and Hearn kinda implied Ward wont happen next in his interview last night.  I guess Chavez Jr Is a good shout, but looking at Chavez's schedule I'd be surprised if that fight could happen in 2013.  Froch will want to fight again this year. 

Edited by The_Rev

Well Chavez is supposed to be fighting Brian Vera in August so he could be available for a December fight. Stieglitz has no fights on the horizon so could be ready for September/October bout.

Thomas Oosthuizen is a good super middleweight and would be a decent opponent. He could always give lightheavy a go if he's that short of options.

That can all change though. Froch didn't start earning big money until he was older than Ward is today. Froch's fight against Taylor (which was an absolute classic) wasn't even picked up by TV in the UK.

Watch the 12th round. It's amazing.

(the embed is better quality video, the link includes the end of the 11th round and corner talk going into the 12th where Froch is told he needs to win the round big to stand a chance)

I stayed up to watch that fight on a decent stream. Yea that 12 round was classic,very rare you see a boxer who needs a knockout and do it.... Ward is a better boxer than Froch but boring as hell that's why I said if ward wants money he needs froch. Froch is ppv, who ever he fights next people will tune in(UK wise) . Ward has about 50 fans.... But I like Froch he gives everything and like people have mentioned he is not shy to fight top fighters.

That can all change though. Froch didn't start earning big money until he was older than Ward is today. Froch's fight against Taylor (which was an absolute classic) wasn't even picked up by TV in the UK.

Watch the 12th round. It's amazing.

I stayed up to watch that fight on a decent stream. Yea that 12 round was classic,very rare you see a boxer who needs a knockout and do it.... Ward is a better boxer than Froch but boring as hell that's why I said if ward wants money he needs froch. Froch is ppv, who ever he fights next people will tune in(UK wise) . Ward has about 50 fans.... But I like Froch he gives everything and like people have mentioned he is not shy to fight top fighters.

This is basically true. Ward vs Dawson sold about 7500 tickets for an arena that holds more. It also did the PPV (world title fight) average for HBO subscriptions. This for a fight that was between the lineal champ at 168lbs and the lineal champ at 175lbs. The card also included a Vitali Klistchko fight that took place in Germany.

A fight in the UK would draw a lot more people and Ward would not only make money from HBO but also Sky Box Office.

No way do I see Wembley getting sold out but a Stamford Bridge maybe, and the Bridge holds way more than what Ward has ever fought in front of.

Andre Ward really only appeals to the purist who appreciates high level boxing skill, defence and inside fighting, and not those who expect Gatti-Ward every fight they watch. He's a hard sell, unless he continues to develop his offence and starts to take a lot take more risks.

He's fighting Sakio Bika next, and that will be every bit as ugly and horrible to watch as their first fight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Ward may well beat Froch again and comfortably, but to talk about it in definite terms is crazy in my opinion. Froch is a top class fighter, certainly top 5. I don't think that is deniable. On the night? Well who knows.

Froch can bang. There's no way Ward will get him out either, so the lad clearly has a chance.

• Like 1

Â