The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Well it's Rees vs Broner tomorrow night, I wonder how many rounds it will go? I fancy Broner via stoppage inside 11 rounds, I don't really see what Rees brings to the table, he's too small and will likely get picked off by Broner's superior reach, hand speed and combinations.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the fight even though it should be a 1 sided affair I always enjoy watching Broner, he is an absolute cock but he's a good fighter (albeit not as great as he thinks he is) he is one of the best names around at the moment and could push on if he can sort his attitude out.

He aspires to be the next mayweather so he should try and emulate him outside of the ring as well (not by battering his missus, I mean purely on the boxing side of things)

Just pissed off its on sky sports 2 I'm gunna have to go round me mom n dads to watch it, Broners last few fights have been on box nation.

Has anyone heard anything about the Price fight being off? Apparently Fury said something like its been cancelled but they are trying to keep it under wraps at the moment. And yes before anyone says anything I know that fury is a clearing in the woods but it seems a strange thing for him to be running his mouth off about if you ask me

Is Rees not worth a bet at 12/1 then, Dr P?

lol at 12/1 it might be worth a pop if you've got a spare 10a or so that you don't really care about.

What Rees has going for him is that he has fought at light welter so is used to taking the punch at a bigger weight and has good physical strength. However I just don't see him having the skill set or the power to trouble Broner. Rees was largely out boxed and stopped by a prime Kotelnik, a decent boxer in his pomp but not in Broner's class.

I just don't see how Rees can win, he doesn't have a lot of power, Broner has considerable height and reach advantage, Rees spoke about fighting a long game, so Broner most likely picks him off and stops him.

I was talking about the fight the other day to a kid at work who kind of half heartedley follows the boxing and knows a few fighters names (he has never heard of Broner or Alvarez for example) but he thinks Price is the solution to all things boxing.

I tried to explain that Price needs to have a good tough fight that will last 8 or 9 rounds and that Thompson by all accounts can potentially give him a good fight, he wouldn't have it he thinks Price will knock him out in the second ( despite never hearing of Thompson before) also when I said that Price could be vulnerable if he comes up against a quality fighter who can get on the inside he wouldn't have that either.

Oh and he refuses to give Fury any credit at all and says he is complete and utter gash and when I try to say that he isn't quite the joke he was before (again only talking about ability in the ring and not his persona outside of it) and that he actually has a pretty good jab he laughs in my face, I don't think anyone can deny that whilst Fury isn't the greatest ever by any stretch of the imagination he has certainly improved over the last few years

What Price has is extreme power and has very good punch variety. What he doesn't have is good defence and has no inside game at all whatsoever, Skelton made him look very uncomfortable in the first round of their fight by getting on Price's inside, he even managed to land a couple of shots clean and Price looked at best confused.

There's also a question mark about his chin, we don't know whether he can take a punch, although in the amateurs he did get stopped by Stiverne...

Thompson isn't a particularly great inside fighter, what he brings to the table is good boxing skill, good power and a south paw stance, we just don't know what he has left in the tank. Luckily for Price the Klitschko's are hardly great inside fighter either, especially Wlad who simply hates to fight on the inside.

Fury well, I hated him until the Johnson fight. Although Johnson took it on a couple of weeks notice Fury impressed me with his ability to work behind the jab and his fighting on the inside. He has definitely improved and IMO at this stage could beat Price purely based on inside fighting. Price of course could demolish him if he lands big and lands early...

It needs to happen though. Price has five years on Fury so Fury can sit and wait for Price to get old first if he wants, though they run the risk of doing a Mayweather - Pacquiao and delaying the fight to the point where nobody gives a shit anymore and if that happens the sport of boxing loses. Again. 

Annoyed I cant watch the Broner fight tomorrow night though. I'll be out of town all weekend and be too far from a TV or internet connection to be able to follow it.  :angry:

Age has little to do with it as far as I'm concerned, miles on the clock is more important and both are the same in that respect. Modern heavy weights seem to be both starting their pro careers later and ending them later, Price should be in his prime in 5 years time unless he gets a brutal Kayo at some point.

I think the fight right now would be stupid. Firstly no one outside of the UK would care and secondly, because neither of them have serious titles it'll be for chump change. They should wait it out until one has a title and then make it a proper world title fight, that would bring massive money. Either that or wait until they both have greater profiles in the states, so that the fight gets shown on a network like Showtime (doubt HBO would care unless a major belt is on the line).

If it goes ahead now the loser gets a serious set back and the winner doesn't really move that much in his world standing.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Frampton is pretty good but he has a few bad habits if you ask me, sky bullshit him up to be amazing but I think that is partly because they don't have any major names in their stable and partly because he is in the mcguigan camp (even though Barry seems to have taken a step back and it is more Shane that is involved now)

There is a bit of Frampton chat on the previous page.   I like him, he is an entertaining fighter who seems to be very well schooled and he knows how to bang. His fight last week was excellent. I have question marks over his defence but that just makes him even more fun to watch in my book.

23Z43lR.jpg

He looked absolutely shredded last week, and he didnt appear tired after nine really tough rounds.  His conditioning appears to be first class. Looks big for a super bantamweight, though he is a real shortarse (5'5") so I'm unsure how many divisions he can move through before he gives away too much in natural advantages. You'd expect him to move to Featherweight at some point just because it's McGuigan's old division but  I'm not an expert on the lighter divisions so I don't really know who is out there for him to fight, but I don't think many people are betting against Frampton picking up a world title in the not too distant future. 

He's too much hands down for me, he doesn't have the reflexes to be Roy Jones and Martinez caught him a fair few times flush, imagine if he did that to Donaire? He'd get sparked out.

Looking at the Super Bantam division I see three top class fighters: Donaire, Rigondeaux and Abner Mares. Frampton as things stands doesn't have a cat in hells chance against any of them, especially the first two on that list- Donaire would knock him out and Rigo would box his ears off.

For me, I want to see Frampton fight a proper world level opponent before I make a proper assessment of where he can go, because Martinez was nothing more than European class.

In terms of how far he can go in weight, I'd say Super featherweight is the most realistic upper bound and lightweight at the absolute maximum (although would be a small lightweight by today's standards).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Is Rees not worth a bet at 12/1 then, Dr P?

lol at 12/1 it might be worth a pop if you've got a spare 10a or so that you don't really care about.

What Rees has going for him is that he has fought at light welter so is used to taking the punch at a bigger weight and has good physical strength. However I just don't see him having the skill set or the power to trouble Broner. Rees was largely out boxed and stopped by a prime Kotelnik, a decent boxer in his pomp but not in Broner's class.

I just don't see how Rees can win, he doesn't have a lot of power, Broner has considerable height and reach advantage, Rees spoke about fighting a long game, so Broner most likely picks him off and stops him.

Well I'm glad to say that I didn't have it after reading this so you saved me some cash :)

Â