The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I know that Felix Sturm is fighting on Friday, but it's not much of a weekend for boxing. I think Carlos Molina (the junior middleweight one) is fighting Cory Spinks on ESPN's Friday Night Fights (can be seen here in the UK on Saturday morning). No big fights though.

http://youtu.be/YsoDq5AsL8A

I still dont really get the whole Kimbo Slice phenomenon.  I saw all his street fight videos years ago and they were nothing more than a guy who happens to have a very hard punch knocking out bums. The fight against the guy with dreadlocks was the best example, he was fixing his hair when Kimbo nailed him.   Still, I guess the benefits of having a good hype man with you means you can talk your way into prize fights with decent pay.  MMA failed spectacularly because it's not quite as easy to knock fools out when you are matched against people who know how to defend themselves, so I guess boxing is all there is left.  

Kimbo is always going to have a punchers chance in a boxing ring. He clearly can bang, but he was made to look awful here by a fat guy who was knackered half way through round one. No defence whatsoever, and as soon as he comes up against somebody in the top 50 then he is going down.  I can see him getting matched up with somebody like Fraudley, but that really is as good as it is ever going to get for Slice.

Kimbo is a bum, it's pure and simple. He doesn't even have a punchers chance, he landed flush on a guy with like 24% body fat and 6 losses and still couldn't get him out of there in round one, he also doesn't have any real boxing skill and doesn't have much of a chin.

The first live opponent he faces will brutally stop him and the Slice train is over.

Incidentally I just finished watching the Geale-Mundine fight, I decided to score it and give it 118-110 to Geale, the judge who gave it 116-112 was on crack. It wasn't a great performance by Geale but I do rate the bloke a lot. He has excellent movement and is able to, at time, operate out of a Philly-shell, impressive, he just lacks that KO punch in his armour.

I reckon he'd give Martinez a difficult night and has the chance to beat Golovkin on points as long as he can avoid GGG's fire power.

I still dont really get the whole Kimbo Slice phenomenon.  I saw all his street fight videos years ago and they were nothing more than a guy who happens to have a very hard punch knocking out bums. The fight against the guy with dreadlocks was the best example, he was fixing his hair when Kimbo nailed him. 

I think Kimbo is easy to understand. A 240lb super swole black guy with a big beard, bald top of head, cool name, cool voice, turns up to bareknuckle fights in a hummer, was one of the first to have his fights go viral on youtube. He was even "Street Certified"  :)

He's like the perfect internet sensation. I can't think of a single thing (other than legitimate fighting skill) that would have made him better received.

I think he made the right move going into MMA first as well tbh, he just happened to time it well enough that some people with more money than sense needed a 'name' to launch their organisation with. He made way more money as the face of Elite XC fighting cherry picked opponents than he would have in boxing.

Kimbo should have gone into boxing proper 25 years ago, then he would have had a chance. MMA was a bad idea because he can't kick and is useless on the deck, boxing now is a bad idea because, well, he can't box. He has enough power to KO the fat slobs he has been boxing and he has enough in the tank to go about 3 or 4 rounds. But trust me, as soon as he takes on anyone with talent and isn't a corpse he'll be out of there inside a round.

He reminds me a little bit of Clifford Etienne although that's doing something of a disservice to Clifford.

I think Kimbo is easy to understand. A 240lb super swole black guy with a big beard, bald top of head, cool name, cool voice, turns up to bareknuckle fights in a hummer, was one of the first to have his fights go viral on youtube. He was even "Street Certified"  :)

Oh, I get that.  I guess the fact that I thought he was shit from day one is why I never bought into it all.  Kimbo is style over substance. 

No trust neccessary really, I don't think it takes Emmanuel Steward to deduce that Kimbo would get flattened by anyone even remotely resemblant of good.

Actual success in MMA was never attainable because of a lack of skill, but it was a good idea because $$. He clearly has the work ethic and potential to have had reasonable success in either sport had he trained consistently from his early teens.

It's a shame he never grew up / trained with his cousin Rhadi really, they could both have made an impact.

Edited by ArteSuave

I read a wonderful article in Gerald McClellan online a few weeks ago. It was taken from the observer sports monthly, or something like that. I think it was quite an old article.

I'd like to find it and post it up for you guys but I can't seem to right now. It was in two parts, the first focussing on his life as a dog fighter and general all round word removed, including interviews with his trainer written as spoken and the second part on the fight with Benn. It was a fantastic read.

Anyone know of the article?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I read a wonderful article in Gerald McClellan online a few weeks ago. It was taken from the observer sports monthly, or something like that. I think it was quite an old article.

I'd like to find it and post it up for you guys but I can't seem to right now. It was in two parts, the first focussing on his life as a dog fighter and general all round word removed, including interviews with his trainer written as spoken and the second part on the fight with Benn. It was a fantastic read.

Anyone know of the article?

Not aware of it but would like to read it. I remember watching a documentary about his fight with Benn called 'Fight of their lives' and it was very good.

The G-Man was one of the most fearsome punchers that I've ever seen, the way he dealt with Julian Jackson in his two fights with him was scary.

Not aware of it but would like to read it. I remember watching a documentary about his fight with Benn called 'Fight of their lives' and it was very good.

The G-Man was one of the most fearsome punchers that I've ever seen, the way he dealt with Julian Jackson in his two fights with him was scary.

I'd have loved to have seen McLellan against a prime Julian Jackson.  Youth and freshness were definitely on the G-Man's side when they met, and as fearsome a knockout artist as he was, he wasnt in Jackson's league.  You could argue that Jackson was the greatest puncher ever. 

Who needs to be able to box when you can punch like that?  ****

Edited by The_Rev

I agree The Hawk was simply devastating, one of the best knock out artists ever. McClellan has a better KO to win ratio but didn't do it against the sort of names that Jackson did, plus Jackson laid people out like no one I've seen. It's a shame that McClellan wasn't really designed to take the punch, who knows what he would have gone on to achieve. He was on a collision course with Roy Jones, that would have been a great fight (the Gman apparently beat Roy Jones in an amateur bout).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Im annoyed by the two video embed limit on this site. The third KO was also incredibly awesome. 

Wayne Powell was more of a gatekeeper than Bomber Graham (should have been world champ?) or Terry Norris, who was an elite level fighter.   Jackson's single punch knockout power was incredible, people would drop like felled trees when he hit them. Jackson took more punches than he probably should have done just because he was willing to trade with anybody and was more than willing to take one in order to land one. 

Tiiiiiiiimber! 

Graham had an awesome skill set and I think ran Mike McCallum close in a title fight (McCallum actually stopped Jackson early in his fight with him as well). Shame he was never a world champ.

But yeah, that knockout of Norris was disgusting. I don't think I've see such a collection of one punch KO's like what Jackson has. He had great accuracy as well as power, he always hit the sweet spot.

Â