The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

• 2 weeks later...

Just days after pulling out of his fight this weekend, Kelly Pavlik comes out with this cracker:

And then there was my favorite part of the interview: Pavlik was recalling the advice a friend gave him a few days earlier, and asked Kohut, "Can I say a cuss word?"

"Go ahead," Kohut responded.

"He said, 'It would be asinine for you to take the fight.'"

Whoever said Boxers aren't the brightest?

A press conference will be held on Tuesday in Bergen, NJ to release the voluminous findings of a ten-month investigation into the death of boxing legend Arturo Gatti. Private investigators Paul Ciolino of Chicago and Joseph Moura of Boston have been hired by Gatti’s manager Pat Lynch to investigate Gatti’s death. The three-time world champion Gatti was found dead in his rented vacation apartment in Brazil on July 11, 2009 at the age of 37. Brazilian police arrested Gatti’s wife Amanda Rodrigues, only to release her three weeks later. The Brazilian authorities have ruled Gatti’s death a suicide. A number of medical and scientific expert witnesses from across the country will also make brief presentations which Ciolino and Moura say will conclusively lay to rest the mystery surrounding Gatti’s cause of death.

PPV should just be for marquee fights, when Sky decided that every fight by certain boxers would be PPV it was the beginning of the end really. Bouts like Khan - Salita (1st round KO) and the night where Nathan Cleverly ended up fighting some guy from Poland because Braehmer pulled out then Bellew failed to make the weight should have been regular broadcasts in order to generate an audience and a fanbase for the fighters when big bouts come along.

Quite ironic that Khan - Judah wasnt on Sky PPV when it probably should have been and was almost certainly the best performance of Khan's career. Haye - Klitschko was rightfully a PPV I guess, just a shame Haye didnt turn up, but that is just the nature of sport.

Sky are moving away from PPV boxing. Interesting, but I'd stick money on any huge name fights in future still being on it. If Mayweather Pacquiao does ever get made there's no doubt that it'll be on PPV.

I agree. The main reason for this being that there aren't any PPV fighters out there at the moment. I don't think Sky have suddenly cranked up their quality control.

One of the main men losing out from this is Frank Warren. So it's interesting to see that a channel called "boxnation" has popped up on Sky showing old Warren cards... :?:

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone watching the McDonnell-Hall fight? Cracker so far.

I was. Great way to start off the new season of Boxing. I'm not sure about the Sky pundit's comments about McDonnell moving on to world level. He's not ready for that IMO, and being in arguably the strongest division in world boxing isn't going to help.

I'm looking forward to the Zaveck-Berto card later. Especially, seeing Gary Russell Jr fighting again. He looks like he may well be the 'next big thing'.

yeah I watched it last night cracking fight, I thought mcdonnel would have been the favourite rite from the start but the commentators were making it sound like it was 50/50

I thought Hall had the first few rounds but you could see that mcdonnel just wasnt going to tire, plus Hall had never been the distance before.

good way to start the new season

Speaking too soon or what?! McCloskey was dead on his feet after the 6th, I think he has won every round since. I'd ask where the **** he gets his energy from, but with that crowd behind him I dont think it would be possible for him to run out of steam.

Cant call that. Really cant call it, Prescott was walking away with it but an amazing final few rounds and a very very very vocal crowd could have swung it in McCloskey's favour by the final bell. Definitely a rematch on the cards here, neither guy deserves to lose.

Â