The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

GGG vs Canelo would do well on PPV I think.  Canelo has a huge fan base because he is the great white hope of Mexico, GGG has won over pretty much all the neutrals.  I think GGG wins easily but they would split the purse evenly and both make a hell of a lot of money.  

I doubt Froch retires if he can't get that fight. There's a lot of talk that he'll fight DeGale and if HBO offer him lots of money to fight GGG then I think it'd be a consideration. 

If it did happen then I say GGG beats Froch to a pulp, I think GGG would get inside on him and land to the body and head, Froch is easy to hit. Where GGG would come unstuck is against Ward, I think Ward is too crafty and physically strong to have the ring cut off, he'd force GGG onto his back foot where he's much less effective. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Froch's range and jab would cause GGG problems as GGG is open to the jab.

Because GGG is destroying a shitty 160lb division people seem to think he is the next coming of Sugar Ray Leonard. Fighting Froch he will be coming against an elite level tall, strong opponent at a higher weight. Froch will destroy Golovkin.

Because GGG is destroying a shitty 160lb division people seem to think he is the next coming of Sugar Ray Leonard. Fighting Froch he will be coming against an elite level tall, strong opponent at a higher weight. Froch will destroy Golovkin.

He really won't. 

I have rarely seen a KO where the guy gets knocked out from a punch from above and causes the blokes head to sink into his torso

It was like a cartoon i bet the poor guy has no neck after that

As for Froch no way he will fight GGG yes Froch loves to brawl and can take the punches but he will just retire he's already said its Chavez or nothing

Edited by AshVilla

He really won't.

What evidence do you have to say he wont?? His best win was Matthew Macklin ffs. It will be a repeat of Arthur Abraham v Froch if it happened.

He really won't.

What evidence do you have to say he wont?? His best win was Matthew Macklin ffs. It will be a repeat of Arthur Abraham v Froch if it happened.

LOL GGG and Abraham are nothing like each other, Golovkin has way more skill, it's obvious to anyone who understands boxing that Golovkin has great footwork, is brilliant at cutting the ring off and is exceptional at setting up his punches, Abraham is very flat footed, stays behind a high guard and just throws punches without much thought behind them.

I agree that Froch's range can give Golovkin problems, also you have to factor in Froch's physical strength, but from what I've seen I think Golovkin will be able set traps for Froch, he'd have a lot of success to the body, Golovkin has more power than Froch, and is far more intelligent a boxer than pretty much all of Froch's opponents (outside of Ward and Dirrell). I see Golovkin breaking down Froch in a war.

In terms of Golovkin's competition, it's clear that his best win was against Daniel Geale, who was a very solid champion. His competition overall has been weak, but that's because he has been avoided by the likes of Sturm, Martinez, Quillin etc. That said, sometimes you have to just recognise skill and not be ignorant, Golovkin has very high level skill, no one else cuts the ring off and sets traps like he does. Really, the only person I see beating him in and around his weight is Andre Ward, precisely because he has the skill to neutralise what Golovkin is best at, Froch does not have that skill.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He really won't.

LOL GGG and Abraham are nothing like each other, Golovkin has way more skill, it's obvious to anyone who understands boxing that Golovkin has great footwork, is brilliant at cutting the ring off and is exceptional at setting up his punches, Abraham is very flat footed, stays behind a high guard and just throws punches without much thought behind them.

I agree that Froch's range can give Golovkin problems, also you have to factor in Froch's physical strength, but from what I've seen I think Golovkin will be able set traps for Froch, he'd have a lot of success to the body, Golovkin has more power than Froch, and is far more intelligent a boxer than pretty much all of Froch's opponents (outside of Ward and Dirrell). I see Golovkin breaking down Froch in a war.

In terms of Golovkin's competition, it's clear that his best win was against Daniel Geale, who was a very solid champion. His competition overall has been weak, but that's because he has been avoided by the likes of Sturm, Martinez, Quillin etc. That said, sometimes you have to just recognise skill and not be ignorant, Golovkin has very high level skill, no one else cuts the ring off and sets traps like he does. Really, the only person I see beating him in and around his weight is Andre Ward, precisely because he has the skill to neutralise what Golovkin is best at, Froch does not have that skill.

Never once compared Golovkin to Abraham, they are totally different fighters, im saying the manor of the result will be the same.

Froch is a solid 168lb. Other then a lack of concentration against Groves, he has one of the best chins in Boxing. He will walk through Golovkin's punches and pick him a part with the jab.

No chance he can walk through Golovkin's fire, Golovkin is completely different to any puncher he has faced, with angles and an attack that incorporates the body. Also the Froch jab isn't that good, he more often than not paws with it rather than throwing it authoritatively, if you want to see a great jab just look at Golovkin's.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

No chance he can walk through Golovkin's fire, Golovkin is completely different to any puncher he has faced, with angles and an attack that incorporates the body. Also the Froch jab isn't that good, he more often than not paws with it rather than throwing it authoritatively, if you want to see a great jab just look at Golovkin's.

Knocking out average stiffs is much different to the level of opposition Froch has fought. If the fight ever happens PM me and we can have a bet :-)

Froch will destroy Golovkin.

He will walk through Golovkin's punches and pick him a part with the jab.

Wow.

Edit: Froch on a fight with GGG:

“Just swerve Golovkin like the plague. He punches like a mule. I don’t need to be in with him. Dangerous fight.”
Edited by ArteSuave
  • Like 1

Indeed, Froch has a great chin and powers of recovery but Golovkin has that sort of outsized power and ability to hurt you from short punches that no one can simply just 'walk through' over a number of rounds. Let's not forget that Jermaine Taylor had Froch pretty badly hurt and on the deck, and Taylor is no where near the puncher Golovkin is. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Horrible stuff.   It's happened before, James Butler did it at around the turn of the century:

He got four months in prison for that (he later got 30 years for murdering one of his friends too, nice bloke it seems...) and I'd imagine the amateur guy in that fight is going to be spending a bit of times behind bars soon. 

Â