The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Cleverly was never in that.

He always was a bum and one of the worst 'champions' in boxing.

He has no skill, no power and no brain, I'm so glad this chump has been cleared out of there in such a brutal fashion, he will never be at world level again, British level at best.

Come on fella bit harsh that. Cleverly is a decent fighter and seems a good lad. Ricky burns title reign is a bigger joke.

Kolavev was incredible. Really top fighter. Honestly cleverly would mix it with all in that weight division yet kolavev is on another level altogether based on that. World class

Cleverly is shit and always has been, he was an overprotected paper champion with an exceptionally high ego. He got exposed tonight by his first genuine world level opponent, he is domestic level, he wouldn't 'mix' it with the top fighters in that division at all. It's a weak division outside of about 5 fighters and he doesn't do well against any of them (Hopkins, Stevenson, Kovalev, Cloud, Chad Dawson being those 5).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Well well well, Dazzling Darren Barker is now IBF middleweight champ.

First things first, this was a very good fight, highly competitive and very close. Personally, I felt that Geale rolled and blocked a lot of Darren's punches, whereas Geale landed the cleaner shots throughout, obviously dropped Barker in the 6th and nearly stopped him in the 12th. I gave the fight to Geale personally but it was close enough to not be too upset about it going the other way, because Barker outworked Geale for a number of rounds.

Fair play to Darren, he is a top guy and his response to hearing his name get called out as the winner was priceless, it shows you how much this thing means to him.

Sadly for Darren, he's just a mere pawn in HBO's game, he may get an easy defence back in the UK but he is really there to give Golovkin another belt, and Golovkin will massacre him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Cleverly was never in that.

He always was a bum and one of the worst 'champions' in boxing.

He has no skill, no power and no brain, I'm so glad this chump has been cleared out of there in such a brutal fashion, he will never be at world level again, British level at best.

Come on fella bit harsh that. Cleverly is a decent fighter and seems a good lad. Ricky burns title reign is a bigger joke.

Kolavev was incredible. Really top fighter. Honestly cleverly would mix it with all in that weight division yet kolavev is on another level altogether based on that. World class

Cleverly is shit and always has been, he was an overprotected paper champion with an exceptionally high ego. He got exposed tonight by his first genuine world level opponent, he is domestic level, he wouldn't 'mix' it with the top fighters in that division at all. It's a weak division outside of about 5 fighters and he doesn't do well against any of them (Hopkins, Stevenson, Kovalev, Cloud, Chad Dawson being those 5).

Cleverly would beat Dawson and cloud IMHO and he would defo beat shumanov (if that's how you spell it) who holds a title. Stevenson maybe not. Really hope Stevenson smashes bellew. Can't stand that bitter scouse bellend.

Cleverly's problem is that he has been fighting too many duds if that's the best way of putting it. Kolavev was too big a step up from what he has been fighting. Props to cleverly for taking it on. First time seen kolavev other then YouTube clips. Incredible.

Don't forget cleverly DESTROYED murat who is fighting Hopkins for a world title. He is a talented lad who should have been fighting better opponents sooner. He can rebuild defo.

Sad thing is we going to see Enzo v cleverly now. It's nailed on certainty.

Who cares if he 'destroyed' Murat, Murat sucks and is only fighting Hopkins because he is Hopkins' mandatory, he is an easy defence for an old Hopkins. Murat hasn't got a single good name on his record other than an absolute robbery win in his back yard over Campillo.

Cloud is a very crude boxer but he is a banger, I have no doubt that Cleverly would stand in front of him and get hit, Cloud would stop him late and Cleverly has no power and so won't hurt him.

Dawson is almost finished but would still jab Cleverly's face off and win by that way, again Cleverly doesn't have the power to stop him so there's no threat level, he wouldn't get behind Dawson's jab enough to outwork him either.

Let's also add to the list Jean Pascal who would knock Cleverly spark out, even Bute would be the favourite to beat Cleverly.

Cleverly is a shit boxer, it's really that simple. He has height and range but he doesn't use it, he negates it by crouching down too low. He has awful foot movement, he doesn't show any lateral movement at all what so ever. He isn't a good puncher, he has no power and lacks angles, he telegraphs everything. He has been exposed.

Who cares if he 'destroyed' Murat, Murat sucks and is only fighting Hopkins because he is Hopkins' mandatory, he is an easy defence for an old Hopkins. Murat hasn't got a single good name on his record other than an absolute robbery win in his back yard over Campillo.

Cloud is a very crude boxer but he is a banger, I have no doubt that Cleverly would stand in front of him and get hit, Cloud would stop him late and Cleverly has no power and so won't hurt him.

Dawson is almost finished but would still jab Cleverly's face off and win by that way, again Cleverly doesn't have the power to stop him so there's no threat level, he wouldn't get behind Dawson's jab enough to outwork him either.

Let's also add to the list Jean Pascal who would knock Cleverly spark out, even Bute would be the favourite to beat Cleverly.

Cleverly is a shit boxer, it's really that simple. He has height and range but he doesn't use it, he negates it by crouching down too low. He has awful foot movement, he doesn't show any lateral movement at all what so ever. He isn't a good puncher, he has no power and lacks angles, he telegraphs everything. He has been exposed.

I agree murat is limited and I'm surprised he is even being considered to face Hopkins as a voluntary defence but you said earlier cleverly is no more then British standard but he destroyed both murat and closely beat bellew, both who are clearly European level and above so he is much better then British and European level.

Your right about his lack of power. Also his boxing brain is none existent. Warren has to take a lot of the blame for this. From fighting tomato cans to kolavev. It's too much of a jump up and he should have made the step up sooner. He can rebuild however so long as he leaves his dad and goes to Gary lockett, Joe Gallagher, Tony sim. One of those 3.

The ref was a joke. He stopped the fight at the end of the 3rd.yet changed his mind and took cleverly back to his order. Worst ref I've ever seen.

So now Cleverly has said that he may retire

Part of the interview went

"do I find another career path?' What's my gut instinct now? Just live a bit. Live a bit for a couple of months with friends, with family, have a few drinks, have a bit of junk food, have a few nights out, go on holiday. You know, your instinct will guide you. I've always said as soon as I lose in boxing I will get out of the sport. Do I stick to that? Who knows. We'll see"

I'll find. The whole interview and paste it up tomorrow

So now Cleverly has said that he may retire

Part of the interview went

"do I find another career path?' What's my gut instinct now? Just live a bit. Live a bit for a couple of months with friends, with family, have a few drinks, have a bit of junk food, have a few nights out, go on holiday. You know, your instinct will guide you. I've always said as soon as I lose in boxing I will get out of the sport. Do I stick to that? Who knows. We'll see"

I'll find. The whole interview and paste it up tomorrow

Well maybe he'll put his maths degree to use and become a maths teacher lol

He certainly doesn't box like a mathematician. The fact is he took a serious beating, perhaps he won't recover, he looked in awful shape after the fight was stopped, he couldn't even walk to his corner without being assisted. On top of that he got exposed as a poor boxer, so there's really no where to go for him other than domestic/Euro level, which perhaps in his deluded mind is beneath him. 

If he does continue he needs to get a better trainer, I mean a serious, world class trainer like a Robert Garcia. There's a lack of world class trainers in this country.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Who would you say are the best trainers over here?   McCracken is probably the #1 in terms of reputation given his successes with Froch and Team GB in the amateurs but who else? Booth?  Calzaghe seems to be yesterdays man. 

I like McCracken a lot but he hasn't, aside from Froch, trained any world champions. Booth I find overrated to be honest. Britain isn't exactly blessed with top trainers. The young boxers with serious talent should definitely look to go abroad as soon as possible. 

I hate the Brendan ingle style. It worked for naz but he was a one off freak of a talent. Johnny nelson and witter used the same ingle style and have to be the 2 most boring fighters to ever win a world title.

Kell brook is training with the ingles but fortunately he has a different style to the others.

Joe Gallagher is having great success with his fighters recently so maybe he is top dog although I'm unconvinced.

I don't think it's so much the trainers are bad here is just the lack of sparing partners compared to USA. I have been to the wildcard gym in LA and the sparring is intense.

Edited by donnie

Cleverly should move up to cruiserweight he could win a world title then. Although he has a serious lack of power, lebedev/huck/Jones are all not very good. He would outwork all of them especially as they all have robotic styles.

Edited by donnie

How on earth will he win a title at cruiserweight, it's a very good division and he's not big or strong enough to ply his trade there. I also doubt he would hold a shot from a proper cruiser, his chin isn't that good, he nearly got stopped by a light punching bum called Kuziemski. 

Put it this way, I'd give him no chance against the best cruisers: Huck, Hernandez, Wlodarcyzk (who has big time power) or Jones. It's wrong to think he'd out work them when he'd be absorbing huge shots and getting hurt, also I have no idea whether you've watched much of Huck but outworking that guy is very difficult, he is extremely busy and throws a lot of punches per pound.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â