General Chat

Stevo985

Cheers for the advice everyone

Chindie I'm currently signing on (have to go in today in fact), it's not too bad. Of course the worst part is having to wait for your turn whilst all the chavs high-five each other and talk about drugs.

The actual process (for me at least) is going in, giving your slip to one of the staff then waiting 5-20 minutes for someone to call you over. Then you sit down, they ask you if there's been any change in your circumstances, what you have been doing to look for work ('Well I've applied for 4 jobs') etc. Then they'll look through a few jobs on their computer with you and print off any you're interested in. They'll confirm that the funds have been paid into your account and that's it for 2 weeks.

If you're under 24 then after a couple of months of signing on you have to go every week.

This is particularly what I was interested in as well, cheers. Seems simple enough, though waiting around is something I really hate.

Filling in the online form was as fun as I'd hoped. It asks questions quite awkwardly, particularly with reference to education subsidies. It asks if ou been in an education course that has finished in the last 3 months (for me, yes) and then if you received assistance in paying for that, again yes. A few pages later it asks for how many sources of assistance you are receiving. In my case I reckon thats 1, but I'm not actually receiving it anymore, I simply haven't paid them back yet... so is that still being received or not? On the safe side, I say I'm still receiving it... next page starts asking for the next date of academic year and all that jazz which clearly doesn't apply to me, so skip back I go and change it no I'm not receiving it any more...

Thats the problem with forms, if you don't exactly match the criteria, it doesn't ever quite work.

I don't know, but I don't think you should say your 'receiving' anything if your not, it might affect the amount they give you. if they think you've got income from elsewhere they might not even let you claim.

Chindie I'm currently signing on (have to go in today in fact), it's not too bad. Of course the worst part is having to wait for your turn whilst all the chavs high-five each other and talk about drugs.

The actual process (for me at least) is going in, giving your slip to one of the staff then waiting 5-20 minutes for someone to call you over. Then you sit down, they ask you if there's been any change in your circumstances, what you have been doing to look for work ('Well I've applied for 4 jobs') etc. Then they'll look through a few jobs on their computer with you and print off any you're interested in. They'll confirm that the funds have been paid into your account and that's it for 2 weeks.

If you're under 24 then after a couple of months of signing on you have to go every week.

Pmsl. There are ALWAYS 'chavs' talking about drugs in the Jobcentre.

I should sign on but I have a thing against taking money that I didn't earn. I felt terribly guilty when I got my ema back in school, so much so I just refused to get in in the second year.

I'm a peculiar person.

How long have you been out of work CED?

I should sign on but I have a thing against taking money that I didn't earn. I felt terribly guilty when I got my ema back in school, so much so I just refused to get in in the second year.

I'm a peculiar person.

It's part of the system. Just take the money, maybe you'll be paying it back in taxes someday when you're raking it in :)

Nah I left at 18 and have been in a bit of a rut since, I'm not driven by money and I don't have anyone to look after but myself, so it's really a case of figuring out what the feck it is I want to do. How people expect you to know that at 19 is beyond me.

It's bloody difficult getting a job too!

I best just get myself a cowboy getup and become a hustler tbh.

Nah I left at 18 and have been in a bit of a rut since, I'm not driven by money and I don't have anyone to look after but myself, so it's really a case of figuring out what the feck it is I want to do. How people expect you to know that at 19 is beyond me.

It's bloody difficult getting a job too!

I best just get myself a cowboy getup and become a hustler tbh.

What do you do for money then mate? Like if you want a night out with pals or fancy some new clothes, XBox game etc?

I ask just out of interest.

Do you ever get bored?

I was made redundant last year in August from a EPC Assessor job - which I absolutely loved, got mega bored after a month and just worked in a jewellery factory to get a bit of pocket money for xmas and get myself out of the house. On the last week of my xmas factory job I got a call for an interview in Manchester for another EPC Assessor job which I obviously took, got the job and I now work from home, travel the country to different commercial buildings, survey them and drive home to model them on a computer and give out reports to the clients, advising them what they can do to make their building more energy efficient.

But for that month/2 months, I was so bored..I had to get myself doing any job I could my hands on - thus I worked in a factory for a few months which I found very interesting, making jewellery they sell in Argos and Index online. Great experience with very friendly people.

I haven't worked for 5 years, I'm not 'lazy' it's just circumstances. I'm generally happy, I'm a stay at home Dad atm, but I still feel guilty at times for not 'pulling my weight'.

staying at home with a small kid is a job in itself!

harder than going to work in most cases.

Â