Who would you have rather signed

MattS

Who would you have rather signed?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have rather signed?

• Scum: Heskey, Izzett, Forsell, Melchiot, Gronkjaer, Gray
    • Villa: Laursen and Cole
    • Villa Cast-Offs FC: Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Mark Viduka, Michael Reiziger, Ray Parlour

Since every post is going on about our lack of summer transfer activity compared to our two biggest rivals (in my opinion anyway), I was wondering who you would rather have acquired.

I am happy with Cole and Laursen!

Even though boro are showing loads of ambition with the excellent signing of Parlour :wink:

I don't care who anybody else has signed. All that matters is that other teams are showing more ambition than we are.

Two chairmen have shown faith in their manager's judgement and backed them in the transfer market in the hope of improving their league position. Why won't ours do the same?

You can be sniffy about Small Heath and Boro all you want, but though we might like to think we have a divine right to be a bigger team, eventually an ambitious team like them WILL overtake us if we continue to sit on our hands every year.

i personally dont giv a rats arse about who boro or the scum hav bought... im more concerned in the fact that we havent picked up hardly anybody when wev let go so many and hav got one of, if not 'the', smallest squad in the prem... although im not supposed to worry about it until aug 14th or summat like that....

I voted for Villa even though i disagree with the point behind the poll.

We should not be comparing ourselves with small time teams. Teams that struggle to scrape together 30,000 fans every week and have won nothing of any significance in their less than illustrious histories.

Reiziger/Melchiot better than Delaney? No.

Parlour/Gronkjaer better than Solano? No.

Gray better than Barry? No.

Izzet better than Hitz? No.

Viduka/Hasselbaink/Fat Arse/Forssell better than Angel/Vassell/Cole? No.

We need to snap out of this habit of dragging ourselves down to this sort of level. We are Aston Villa for God's sakes. We have a quality team, a quality manager, a quality assistant, Laursen is a quality player, Cole is a quality player, but the bottom line is...

...WE NEED MORE OF THEM

here here both of you!s I don't care, but I still think our signing is better aquisition than t'others.

I think we need more quality signings though to stay above the pair of sty dwelling inbreds!

We should not be comparing ourselves with small time teams.

With all due respect, many posts lately have compared our signings to Boro and the Scum. If you read my initial post, you will see this in the first line. I agree that we shouldn't be comparing, but people have and I wanted to know what THESE people thought of the transfer activity between these clubs.

We need to snap out of this habit of dragging ourselves down to this sort of level. We are Aston Villa for God's sakes. We have a quality team, a quality manager, a quality assistant, Laursen is a quality player, Cole is a quality player, but the bottom line is...

...WE NEED MORE OF THEM

Summed up perfectly mate.

...WE NEED MORE OF THEM

I agree also, I am not so blind that I think our squad size is sufficent, but i also don't believe that backing the manager to buy crap players is a sign of ambition.

Of the players you mentioned in the poll, how many of them are actually crap? Heskey certainly, but the rest are decent to very good premiership players who will improve the teams they have signed for.

"but i also don't believe that backing the manager to buy crap players is a sign of ambition."

This misses the point somewhat, I think. It's not for the board of small heath, Villa or any other club to "know better" than the manager about whther players are good/crap etc. The board MUST back the manager, or get rid of him if they don't believe he has the ability to judge players.

So if Steve Bruce thinks Tumbledown and the rest are good additions, and the money is available for him to spend, then the board should back him.

Football clubs are about players and winning matches.

So far Cribbins has done well for the 'noses. They'd spent ages being utterley hilarious - Barry Fry, Beelzebub and the rest had never found the plot. Spud-u-like has.

They had a lot of scope for improvement, and they have taken it. Whether they go on to get less bad still, or whether they return to where we'd like to see them, who knows, but they're giving it a go.

We have a lot of scope for improvement to, to a higher level than them, for a start. The manager's trying, the players are, and the coaches and other staff. But Ellis? No siree Bob. He wants more money out thank you very much.

they haven't signed forssell, only thing i'd have different is bringing in forssell on loan rather than cole, boro's signings are pretty damn shit, blues are awful other than forssell (who isn't really a signing), shame ours are kind of non-existent

For what it's worth, I think Hasslebaink will guarantee 15 - 20 goals a season if he's first choice, whatever team he plays for, and I can see Izzett and Savage forming quite a useful midfield partnership.

Isn't the difference that other clubs go for know quantities of players, everyone for example knows what Heskey is like but Bruce is backing his judgement, I mean when was the last time we brought a current England International ?

But we go for possibles and unknowns (no disrespect for Laursen but no-one knows if he can play in the English league). Last season DOL's signings were known quanties and he got the best out of them the new signings are different.

I disagree with Laursen to be honest - he is an established international defender and as Scandinavians mostly do well in the English leagues, I think a very sound purchase indeed. I mean we did buy him from one of the best teams in the world.

no disrespect for Laursen but no-one knows if he can play in the English league

yep, and we all know that heskey can't play in the premier league :)