Darksiders: Wrath of War

briggaman

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else played this yet? Was really looking forward to it, but all the reviews point to it just being a complete Zelda rip off. Nothing wrong with that in itself I suppose, but not really something I'm going to rush out and buy.

• 7 months later...

So I finally picked this up as its going for dirt cheap and thoroughly enjoying it. It reminds me of all that was brilliant about PSOne and PS2 era action/adventure games.

"Zelda+Soul Reaver+God of War=Darksiders"

^^What I suspect was written on the whiteboard during the concept stages of this games development.

Funny you bumped this Sie, I was sorta interested in it at release but not enough to invest. Over the last few days (coinciding with a Arkham Asylum re-play) I've really hankered for a 3rd person adventure game. And being... ahem... inspired by Zelda is probably another selling point.

As is it being cheap.

So it's going on my near future purchase list.

Well its currently £15 in Asda or a couple of quid cheaper if you order it online from Play.

But yeah, the game wears its influences on its sleeve in a very positive, very knowing way. It's really more of a mash-up of, and a homage to, the games I mentioned earlier rather than a straight up Zelda clone. Personally, I don't think its fair seeing it labelled a Zelda clone because it robs the game of the originality the sum of its parts create. The ingredients combine to produce something quite fresh in a world full of FPS games and the end result is worthy of praise on its own merits. I'd wager that Vigil are big fans of the games that Darksiders borrows from rather than chancers with no ideas of their own.

And it ain't a push over either. It can be a tough cookie when it wants to be.

I borrowed this from a friend a couple of months ago, and really didn't enjoy it much at all. Nice graphics, but it really just did come across as an average Zelda/God of War mash up. The 7/10 reviews it mostly got were about fair I reckon. Shame, because the potential was there for it to be ace.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wrapped this up. It's a game not without its share of issues but thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish nonetheless.

One thing that did bother me was trying to figure out why War's voices sounded so familiar and it wasn't until the last hour of so that I finally remembered - he's Illidan Stormrage,

• 9 months later...

Been thinking of picking this up as one of my Summer vacation games. Haven't decided yet and a whole week of vacation has already passed. Only three weeks left, so I have to make a decision tomorrow at the latest. I do like the looks of Darksiders though.

• 8 months later...

Darksiders 2 is coming out near the end of June and the more I am seeing of it, the more I'm liking the look of it. This time you play as Death, as opposed to War in the first one.

Here is the latest feature on it from IGN.

I think I may give the first Darksiders another purchase (for the 360 this time) to play it through again before the second is released.

Â