6 Nations (Poll added. Who will win the big game?)

chrissmith921

Pick one  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Ireland to win the match and take the Grand Slam
    • Wales win by less than 13pts. Ireland take the title.
    • Wales win by 13 or more and win the title

Yes, we were comfortable, you're right, but there were worrying signs of a lack of discipline in the closing stages. Whether this was down to the Williams sin bin (harsh I thought), the flood of replacements or a bit of mental tiredness from those remaining I'm not sure. Definite area to improve on though, as was the lineout I reckon.

There's no arguing with your logic Chris and, while I'm an optimist when it comes to the Villa, it's always the other way with Wales, particularly where England are concerned. Growing up in England in the 80s and 90s can have that effect on you I guess. I used to get some right stick, and not all of it purely verbal :( I also used to get a bit when visiting family in Wales what with my Worcestershire accent, so I couldn't win :lol:

I'm glad this Saturday's encounter is in Cardiff, otherwise I would be a lot twitchier than I am. :suspect:

The banter in this thread alone might be enough to make me take an interest in this competition. Chris you talk a good game I'll give you that and you seem to know your stuff. You'd better hope Wales back you up because it's quite a fall from where you are at the mo' :thumb: But hey I know next to nothing about the current strengths of the teams so I'll leave the posturing to those who do and I'll enjoy the exchanges in here.

I'll ask that everyone keep it civil though !!

That lack of discipline late on will give Gatland/Edwards the stick to beat them with all week.

Every welshman in that ground will know that this is the big one - this is the one to right all those years of hurt, the 'Shane Who?' comments, the 50 point drubbing by their 2nd team, Guscott and Inverdales continual comments about how dominant England should be...

In the same way that people keep ignoring Villa and we're stuffing it down their necks, this is Wales' time to do the same for the last 25 years. I will be there on Saturday, and I will be amazed if Wales do not walk off that field at the end having stuffed them.

That Phil Bennet pre-match speech will be mentioned a few times over the week I'm sure...

Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our houses and they only live in them for a fortnight every 12 months. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English - and that's who you are playing this afternoon

It will be war out there - and looking at Scotlands failure to beat us up this weekend, we've got a team that are hard, streetwise ****.

There is really nothing I can see that England could do to beat us on Saturday - I hope I'm in the crowd near Ms Armatige, let her hear the screams of kill the f**king b*stard - shoe the f*cker!!!! as he lays on the ball....

Yes BOF, if wales fall now it'll put a big portion of egg on my face, but I've followed them since I can remember, going to games with my dad as a 4 year old are some of my earliest memories....

This is without doubt the best Welsh side I've ever seen (having said that, I saw a side containing Mark Titley.... which means this definately IS the best Welsh side I've ever seen) - my father agrees though, and he was around in the 70s, even involved a few times (never capped though)

I hope I'm in the crowd near Ms Armatige, let her hear the screams of kill the f**king b*stard - shoe the f*cker!!!! as he lays on the ball....

Really? :shock:

I hope that's just a bit of piss-taking bravado on a forum.

p.s. Why would it bother a Ms Armatige?

That Phil Bennet pre-match speech will be mentioned a few times over the week I'm sure...

Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our houses and they only live in them for a fortnight every 12 months. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English - and that's who you are playing this afternoon

:lol:

Here we go....

And you're right about that annoying woman. Dunno about Phil Bennet's words, all the motivation I'd need is the prospect of keeping her bloody quiet :)

I hope I'm in the crowd near Ms Armatige, let her hear the screams of kill the f**king b*stard - shoe the f*cker!!!! as he lays on the ball....

Really? :shock:

I hope that's just a bit of piss-taking bravado on a forum.

p.s. Why would it bother a Ms Armatige?

Well, shes done well to shoot out that fat 7, well done - but why the interviews etc...

reason i hope i'm sat nearby is i want to see the look on her face when she sees the shoeing that fat little man gets for laying on the ball in cardiff... i doubt i will though, i'm in the upper tier.

:lol:

Here we go....

And you're right about that annoying woman. Dunno about Phil Bennet's words, all the motivation I'd need is the prospect of keeping her bloody quiet :)

If any of those boys needs any motivation at all to pull on that shirt on Saturday they should be shot.

There are 2 games you dream of as a kid playing rugby in Wales.

You dream of running out at Cardiff Arms Park (well was for me... Millennium Stadium now of course) against them... and Twickenham.

I'll hold back a prediction on scoreline until I see the chosen XV's - but if Wales are:

15 Byrne

14 Halfpenny

13 Shankin

12 Roberts

11 Williams

10 Jones

9 Phillips

1 Jenkins

2 Rees

3 Jones

4 Gough

5 Jones

6 Jones (again!) [either one - Daf or Ryan]

7 Williams

8 Powell

Then I'll be looking at a minimum swing of 15 points.

Fine - a bit of bravado. No worries.

I was just hoping that rugby fans hadn't turned into mindless idiots who would actually go to a game and spend their entire time concentrating on the parent of a player rather than the game.

why the interviews

I haven't seen any but I guess it is because there are two brothers playing in the same side and because the press think that's a big story because the last time it happened for England was the Underwoods, yadda, yadda.

Doesn't really interest me but I doubt she is ringing up every 'paper pleading for an interview - I would hazard a guess that it is the other way around.

I'd also guess that it is because there is nothing more to write about England because of the paucity of the side and the performances.

Aye, that 7 is a big lad isn't he? Looks like he's eaten Andy Goode.

Armatage Tanks?

Apologies if that's been done already. Can't beleive a tabloid worth it's salt would miss that.

He's a fat little **** is what he is - he looks like that kid off that show 'Hang Time' which used to be on S4C / Ch4 years ago.

You know - the fat one who played basketball.

After England's performance against Italy, the Welsh first half performance yesterday and the fact that you are at home - I think Wales ought to be disappointed to not put on between 30 and 40 points.

I think England will be lucky to be getting double figures.

Fine - a bit of bravado. No worries.

I was just hoping that rugby fans hadn't turned into mindless idiots who would actually go to a game and spend their entire time concentrating on the parent of a player rather than the game.

why the interviews

I haven't seen any but I guess it is because there are two brothers playing in the same side and because the press think that's a big story because the last time it happened for England was the Underwoods, yadda, yadda.

Doesn't really interest me but I doubt she is ringing up every 'paper pleading for an interview - I would hazard a guess that it is the other way around.

I'd also guess that it is because there is nothing more to write about England because of the paucity of the side and the performances.

You can tell from the interviews she hasnt a clue whats going on - its like when they kept showing Charlotte Church everytime Henson did something during the 2005 - 2008 Slams, now everytime Armitage (either one) did something they cut to her in the stands looking for the hot dog counter.

Rugby in Wales is definately more a working class game than it is in England - and there is nothing the crowd will want more if we're comfortable on Saturday than to see a good old fashioned clearing of the decks.

Sheridan - you can bench press massive numbers but you are the prime example of what is wrong with English Rugby at the moment - pick the guys because their gym form is good, shame they cant scrummage for shit.

After England's performance against Italy, the Welsh first half performance yesterday and the fact that you are at home - I think Wales ought to be disappointed to not put on between 30 and 40 points.

I think England will be lucky to be getting double figures.

Thats a conservative figure. I think Johnson is going to line up as defensive as possible and avoid a hammering. I think hes a wise enough man to know Wales are too strong on current form - but if he takes a 15-20 point beating he can get out of it with little/no criticism. If he goes all out and plays to Wales' hands he could get an absolute savaging from the press because theyve not got the talent in the backs to play that game and they certainly dont have the fitness or mobility in the backrow to compete with Wales at an expansive game.

I expect England to keep it very tight, play the percentages by kicking to touch at every opportunity they get, and try to disrupt Wales' lineout. Its going to be a backs-to-the-wall approach by England which is where I think they can salvage some pride - but of course, the danger there is, if Shane dances over in the first minute...

Rugby in Wales is definately more a working class game than it is in England

Still no excuse for the crowd to become a bunch of numpties (and I'm not sure why working class ought to be conflated with lack of class?).

As far as the 'working class' thing - my experience of junior club rugby in this area would say that's not really true.

Rugby in Wales is definately more a working class game than it is in England

Still no excuse for the crowd to become a bunch of numpties (and I'm not sure why working class ought to be conflated with lack of class?).

As far as the 'working class' thing - my experience of junior club rugby in this area would say that's not really true.

In England the game tends to be more played by the private school lot - you dont tend to have the mob mentality there. (Generalisation I know).

However, Wales' tickets come through clubs - these clubs are packed full of people who if born your side of the river would more than likely have got involved with football rather than rugby because their families wouldnt have afforded to send them to private schools...

As I say, its a widespread generalisation, but I'd expect a crowd at Cardiff to be more hostile / football-esque in its manner than one at Twickenham.

Chris, I'm not sure what you are on about.

I'm not talking about a Twickenham crowd. I've never been to Twickenham - in fact, I've never been to an international.

In my experience of watching and playing rugby at a low club level, it is not a sport dominated by ex-public school people.

A Twickenham crowd with hampers in the car park might well be different.

In England the game tends to be more played by the private school lot

That is true within schools.

It is simply not the case within clubs.

I also continue to fail to see why working class equals hostile, aggressive and rude?

Chris, I'm not sure what you are on about.

I'm not talking about a Twickenham crowd. I've never been to Twickenham - in fact, I've never been to an international.

In my experience of watching and playing rugby at a low club level, it is not a sport dominated by ex-public school people.

A Twickenham crowd with hampers in the car park might well be different.

In England the game tends to be more played by the private school lot

That is true within schools.

It is simply not the case within clubs.

I also continue to fail to see why working class equals hostile, aggressive and rude?

working class does not equal hostile, aggressive and rude, because that would be saying every single working class person was each one of those.

however, if you take a sample of them, you will find that on the whole a crowd of working class will be more vocal / hostile / aggressive in this context than upper class - look at cricket matches for example, how often do you see the old man patrol sat there in their suits stand up and shout obscenities? never. what about those who arent in that section - a lot more often.

I'm not saying it makes anyone better/worse - its just a different action in a situation.

I'm quite suprised that low level rugby is moving away from its traditional roots - but pleased - it will mean England will have a lot more players in the future to choose from (as their current talent pool still stem from their usual Millfield/Marlbrough/Clifton/Taunton/Malvern selection). Over here it is pretty much the case that every kid at some point in their lives has played rugby, its just how life is over here I guess - stuck in its way.

Just to step in here, I have been to Twickenham on many occasions. My dad lives and breathes the game of Rugby and always managed to get tickets.

The atmosphere at Twickenham is nothing like a football atmosphere. Its more like people are going for a day out than anything else. It is actually a very nice place to be because of it. To a lesser extent, club rugby takes Twickenham's carnival atmosphere too. Again, its nowhere near as hostile or partisan as a football crowd.

Im not sure where I stand on the class thing though. Its true that comprehensive schools will tend to play football in England, and its certainly true that if you drive around the towns of South Wales you will see ten times as many rugby pitches as you will in England, but yet as someone who grew up in a Rugby daft household, most of the Rugby players I knew were working class/council estate types.

Â