The strength of our squad rotation players

Pinebro

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I think we need to have an adult conversation about this.

Discuss.

Some people's expectation on here of how good some squad players should be is ridiculous considering:

- current injuries

- every signing can be hit or miss or somewhere in between regardless of club

- FFP and contract obligations

- Signing quality that is above our non first choice XI and happy to not play every game

• Like 1

To the list above I would add, what is the actual ceiling of the players

we currently have assuming they can get the appropriate time and development.

Edited by fruitvilla

31 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

To the list above I would add, what is the actual ceiling of the players

we currently have assuming they can get the appropriate time and development.

Also we don't have the revenue stream of the City, Spurs, Liverpool et al to pay the wages their second string XI are on and in many cases some of ours are pretty decent

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Also we don't have the revenue stream of the City, Spurs, Liverpool et al to pay the wages their second string XI are on and in many cases some of ours are pretty decent

I think this is a counterpoint to your:

56 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

people's expectation on here of how good some squad players should be is ridiculous

But yes I agree!

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not really. We have to sign within our means as it were

Yes I agree. Expectations are unreasonably high and we have financial constraints.

Not sure where the "not really" comes from.

Edited by fruitvilla

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

Watched the game..... didnt think they were that bad at all.

The first half wasn't bad in that they only threatened once and we had loads of the ball, but it was definitely not good.

We took control of the game in the second half, but that was after we brought off Donk.

That second half we only really had Tielemans as one of our backup players in the attacking half and the defence barely had anything to do. 

As we saw in the second half, we dominated and coped fine a few backups alongside 8 first team quality players. 

But as I said before, the injuries we have mean we are forced to start with 6 first team quality players instead of 8, and its going to continue to be a struggle until they get better/ more used to the system or until our injury situation improves. 

35 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The first half wasn't bad in that they only threatened once and we had loads of the ball, but it was definitely not good.

We had one shot on target and were lucky for them not to score.

This is the way I see it. Ignoring mings and Buendia given their long term injuries, the best starting eleven with everyone fit is: Martinez, cash, pau, konsa, Moreno, kamara, Luiz, Ramsay, McGinn, diaby, Watkins), then I’d rank the back ups as follows

As good as the first team

Carlos, digne

Good enough to be relied on for cups

Lenglet, tielemans, Kellyman, Duran, zaniolo

Need to be sold/replaced

Olsen, bailey, traore, chambers, dendoncker

The trick then in the cups is to rest as many of the first team without using any of the players needing to be sold/replaced which implies a second team something like the below:

Martinez

Konsa/cash    Carlos.  Lenglet.  Digne

Tielemans kamara/luiz

zaniolo.                        Mcginn/ramsey

Kellyman     Duran

i do think that team should be good enough to beat most second tier cup teams

Unacceptable by our fringe players.. do they now know that being out of form, low on confidence and lack match sharpness is not allowed? I say sell them all. Stop rotating, or throw in the youth if absolutely necessary, although if they don't perform instantly, then we should sell them too. 

Players that should be sold: 

Olsen, lenglet, Carlos, Tielemans, dendoncker, duran, bailley, traore, hause, chambers, Tim, Digne (when Moreno is fit) and so on.

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

Watched the game..... didnt think they were that bad at all.

Was thinking about it a lot after the luxury of watching a game local time 8am ko and the absolute dribble posted before Mcginn scored and putting in context that only few years ago we were looking at another season or more in Championship and the club almost going into administration to one of the best run clubs with best manager in football and can't believe people losing their minds over struggling to beat low block park the bus team and losing in Carabwhocares cup last week. I guess I'm half glass full with Villa atm

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

We are not in the champions league. 

What do you expect quality wise?

Seems some people feel we should be signing other Premier League teams first team goalkeepers et al for rotation and backup like the likes of Arsenal, United, Chelsea, City etc. lol

• Like 1

Â