Train Strikes

Louis

There are train strikes happening for when we play Spurs.

I booked my train ticket, got notified that the trains are not running, so I ended up getting my money back so now I can’t make it.

I then looked at National Express but that will be impossible due to all the traffic getting to Villa Park and getting back too.

Edited by Louis

On 08/05/2023 at 18:08, Louis said:

There are train strikes happening for when we play Spurs.

I booked my train ticket, got notified that the trains are not running, so I ended up getting my money back so now I can’t make it.

I then looked at National Express but that will be impossible due to all the traffic getting to Villa Park and getting back too.

I was able to book a train for first thing in the morning from London to Birmingham. There were none at all to go back however. I was able to book a coach back. 

Both had warnings on the page about the strikes but were available none the less.

1 hour ago, Anything11 said:

I was able to book a train for first thing in the morning from London to Birmingham. There were none at all to go back however. I was able to book a coach back. 

Both had warnings on the page about the strikes but were available none the less.

The coach for me will take forever getting back to Guildford from Birmingham so I've had to forfeit from going.

Same boat. I'm getting a coach there and back from London, hoping traffic to the actual city won't be too bad and then will just walk from central Birmingham, especially if the roads make taxis a nightmare. Weather looks alright thankfully. 

Edited by Condimentalist

Ive checked trains from Nuneaton, they seem to be running fine on that day although the disruption notice is there also. I expect there will be rail replacement buses outside the station so will get to VP extra early incase, sometimes there is loads of people waiting for the replacement bus and you cant get on if there are too many from earlier stops and people with pushchairs etc. Glad im already in the midlands and not in my london flat as would have been a nightmare otherwise and would probably have to suffer the spurs fans en route

What do other people do after the game when the trains are not running? I come from Denmark and have my son with me, so we stay around Villa Park after the game – visit the shop etc.

Is it possible to get a taxi, or does it work with Uber (we don't have Uber in Denmark), if we wait maybe 45-60 minutes after the match?

On 10/05/2023 at 20:48, Condimentalist said:

Same boat. I'm getting a coach there and back from London, hoping traffic to the actual city won't be too bad and then will just walk from central Birmingham, especially if the roads make taxis a nightmare. Weather looks alright thankfully. 

Where do you get coach from in london and where does it drop you off just so i know for future reference when there is strikes?

15 hours ago, MichaelB said:

What do other people do after the game when the trains are not running? I come from Denmark and have my son with me, so we stay around Villa Park after the game – visit the shop etc.

Is it possible to get a taxi, or does it work with Uber (we don't have Uber in Denmark), if we wait maybe 45-60 minutes after the match?

I would think you can get a taxi or uber an hour after the game, yes. But traffic will be very bad before that.

54 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Where do you get coach from in london and where does it drop you off just so i know for future reference when there is strikes?

It runs from Victoria but I'm getting on and off at Finchley. Comes into Summer Row off Great Charles St.

I'm gonna get a really early train to new street so i can get a connecting train to aston before the game. Then I will walk to new street after the game, not done that in a while but should only take about 40 mins i suppose. Think last trains back home from new street are 18:22 so tommorow is gonna be quite rushed and hectic :(

31 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

It runs from Victoria but I'm getting on and off at Finchley. Comes into Summer Row off Great Charles St.

Thanks oh really it picks you up from finchley that's handy to know as thats only 25 mins from me

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I'm gonna get a really early train to new street so i can get a connecting train to aston before the game. Then I will walk to new street after the game, not done that in a while but should only take about 40 mins i suppose. Think last trains back home from new street are 18:22 so tommorow is gonna be quite rushed and hectic :(

Id like to do that walk one time just dont know the area that well enough and i hate using maps 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Id like to do that walk one time just dont know the area that well enough and i hate using maps 

i'll be honest with you, i've never done the walk myself 🤣 as long as i make the game in time i will be happy, everything after i will have to improvise

• Haha 1

Just now, Villatillidie95 said:

i'll be honest with you, i've never done the walk myself 🤣 as long as i make the game in time i will be happy, everything after i will have to improvise

I think 40 minutes is a but optimistic! More a hour i would think. But i like walking so that doesnt bother me just as long as i know where i am going

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MichaelB said:

Where are you trying to get to Michael? I would say probably walk for 30mins in the right direction then go for an uber or a taxi to your destination. Uber should be fine, just get the app set up before you go and add a payment card etc to save messing about on the day.

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Where are you trying to get to Michael? I would say probably walk for 30mins in the right direction then go for an uber or a taxi to your destination. Uber should be fine, just get the app set up before you go and add a payment card etc to save messing about on the day.

Thank you. We're staying in a hotel in the city centre. So I think we'll just start to walk. I've done it alone twice before - then we'll find a taxi if it's to long to walk all the way. 

• Like 1

Â