Norwegian foppall

El Zen

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Don’t you pretty much hate any team that’s not Vålerenga?😀   Lillestrøm, Rosenborg, Molde I think you’ve listed so far.  Aren’t Lyn also hated by Vålerenga fans?

Hahaha, sure, fair point. Lillestrøm and Lyn are local rivals (there’s an element of class conflict with Lyn as well, as they are from the upper class areas of Oslo west) and Rosenborg are the Man Uniteds of Norwegian football. 

Molde, however, are just a nasty, horrible little club with no fans and lots of money from a rich owner. Dull town, terrible club that treats away fans like rubbish and named a rapist captain. 

• Like 1

The 2022 Cup final is tomorrow. Yes, that’s right, the previous years’ cups have been delayed for COVID reasons, so the final, which should have been played in November, is played tomorrow in Oslo.

Lillestrøm will play Brann (Bergen) which means my dear city will be packed with loudmouthed, smug Bergensians all weekend. Best avoid the city all together. 

2 hours ago, El Zen said:

The 2022 Cup final is tomorrow. Yes, that’s right, the previous years’ cups have been delayed for COVID reasons, so the final, which should have been played in November, is played tomorrow in Oslo.

Lillestrøm will play Brann (Bergen) which means my dear city will be packed with loudmouthed, smug Bergensians all weekend. Best avoid the city all together. 

In my rather limited experience (all in Bergen), I've haven't found Bergensians to be loudmouthed or smug if they don't know you're from Oslo!

42 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

In my rather limited experience (all in Bergen), I've haven't found Bergensians to be loudmouthed or smug if they don't know you're from Oslo!

I’ve met loads of perfectly nice Bergensians. Just don’t tell anyone I said that! 

They’ll be loudmouthed and smug this weekend, though. And understandably so. They get to go to the capital, an actual city, and play in the cup final ✌️

• 2 weeks later...

Second round of the 2023 Cup already today. Travelled to level 5 Råde a week ago and saw Vålerenga win an uninspiring 1-0 ticket to round two. There, we’ll be up against city «rivals» Lyn (literally: Lightning.) Lyn is a manifistation of so many things I genuinely hate: They represent the wealthiest neighbourhoods of Oslo west, they are the Conservative Party Football Club. They hardly have any fans, but the ones they do have seem to rear their heads whenever they play us. Normally, we should be wiping the floor with them. They play at level three in the same division as our reserves. But they’ll have nothing to lose and be fired up: this is their cup final. I’m dreading it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Time flies. Both Vålerenga and Rosenborg have sacked their managers (Dag-Eilev Fagermo and Kjetil Rekdal respectively.) Vålerenga are yet to land a full time replacement but Rosenborg have installed an interim coach from the academy to spend the rest of the year trying to implement the attacking 433 style football of their glory days. He lost his first game in charge 0-3 at home. 

It’s been a while since our last game, but on Wednesday I’m making the 1000km roundtrip to Stjørdal for the fourth round cup tie against level three side Stjørdals-Blink (literally Stjørdal’s Target.) If the game goes to extra time, I’ll miss it, as the last plane back to Oslo leaves an hour after the end of 90 mins 😬

• Like 1

Won 0-5 at Stjørdal, leaving plenty of time to catch the last flight home. Paparazzis found me again (second row, right.) 

• Like 2

On 17/05/2023 at 10:18, El Zen said:

Hahaha, sure, fair point. Lillestrøm and Lyn are local rivals (there’s an element of class conflict with Lyn as well, as they are from the upper class areas of Oslo west) and Rosenborg are the Man Uniteds of Norwegian football. 

Molde, however, are just a nasty, horrible little club with no fans and lots of money from a rich owner. Dull town, terrible club that treats away fans like rubbish and named a rapist captain. 

Stop this nonsense now... Vålerenga is owned by one of the richest guys in Oslo and has a lot of fairweather very well off fans. They also has the worst hooligan element of all clubs in Norway. They were even gifted their Stadium and all this romantic fairytales about being east end and poor is just storytelling. So is West Ham apparently and they are shit throughout. Rename this thread so we do not have to see this w**nkfest. In the meantime you are of course spot on with Molde😊😁

Edited by Hughes

3 hours ago, Hughes said:

Stop this nonsense now... Vålerenga is owned by one of the richest guys in Oslo and has a lot of fairweather very well off fans. They also has the worst hooligan element of all clubs in Norway. They were even gifted their Stadium and all this romantic fairytales about being east end and poor is just storytelling. So is West Ham apparently and they are shit throughout. Rename this thread so we do not have to see this w**nkfest. In the meantime you are of course spot on with Molde😊😁

- Trøim can f*** off. The club belongs to the members and he can take his money and illegal influence and get in the sea. He is a cancer to the club. 

- The land was a gift from the city, the stadium was self-financed. Nothing wrong with that. 

- We are literally from east Oslo, and predominantly working class, both past and present. How is that storytelling?

- Us, Brann and RBK are pretty even in terms of hools. 

- I know you’re trying to wind me up, and it clearly worked 😂

23 hours ago, El Zen said:

- Trøim can f*** off. The club belongs to the members and he can take his money and illegal influence and get in the sea. He is a cancer to the club. 

- The land was a gift from the city, the stadium was self-financed. Nothing wrong with that. 

- We are literally from east Oslo, and predominantly working class, both past and present. How is that storytelling?

- Us, Brann and RBK are pretty even in terms of hools. 

- I know you’re trying to wind me up, and it clearly worked 😂

Hehe guilty as charged. However, to me the Vålerenga story is basically romantics. You may dislike Trøim but fact is he owns and controls the club and even interferes with footballing matters. This is very different from Brann and Rosenborg who are  member owned and governed. Lyn as you "hate everything about" has as you know adopted a clear "German" position  where the club is member owned and no one person or group can have control. Their fans at no more posh than a large element of your fans. Vålerenga WAS gifted the ground by the municipality and you DO have lots of celeb fans who like to associate themselves with Vålerenga for the exact reason that the storytelling of this east end cameraderi club where everyone is poor and helping each other out still prevails. I have no particular dislike for Vålerenga but I call BS on quite a bit of what I still find to be storytelling. Sorry, my friend. Anyway, UtV. 

52 minutes ago, Hughes said:

Hehe guilty as charged. However, to me the Vålerenga story is basically romantics. You may dislike Trøim but fact is he owns and controls the club and even interferes with footballing matters. This is very different from Brann and Rosenborg who are  member owned and governed. Lyn as you "hate everything about" has as you know adopted a clear "German" position  where the club is member owned and no one person or group can have control. Their fans at no more posh than a large element of your fans. Vålerenga WAS gifted the ground by the municipality and you DO have lots of celeb fans who like to associate themselves with Vålerenga for the exact reason that the storytelling of this east end cameraderi club where everyone is poor and helping each other out still prevails. I have no particular dislike for Vålerenga but I call BS on quite a bit of what I still find to be storytelling. Sorry, my friend. Anyway, UtV. 

And make no mistake, plenty of members (myself included) are actively trying to get Trøim out. I absolutely agree he uses his financial stranglehold to exert illegal and disruptive influence and control over matters he shouldn’t interfere with at all. But, he isn’t the club and he isn’t representative of the club’s membership and fanbase. Lyn actually have the exact same operating model as we do, just that the shares are owned by more than one individual. I repeat, we were given the land on which the stadium was built, and financed the stadium. Not that being given anything by the city makes you any less working class, so I’m not really sure what your point is. In fact, nothing about ownership and finances really says anything about the socio-cultural identity of the club’s fanbase. 

Of course we have celeb fans, and wealthy fans. We’re by far the biggest club in the nation’s capital. But again, they are not representative of the club’s membership and fanbase. 

Vålerenga is historically and currently a predominantly working class club based on the historically and currently predominantly working class eastside of Oslo. You can’t rewrite that or deny that - yeah, we have fans outside our traditional base, but go to any game in the home end, or any members meeting, or to the hockey, or to any of our pubs, and tell me this isn’t an overwhelmingly working class club. But, of course, it’s also a modern, professional football club, and overwhelmingly the biggest in the most populous region in the country: Of course our fanbase will be heterogenous. 

Lyn are west side, and even the quickest glance at their (small) core will tell you it’s rather homogenously white, upper middle class. Nothing is ever black and white, of course some of their fans are «normal» people, but just as obviously, their core fanbase is posher than ours. And that’s fine, but you can’t deny it’s a fact. 

Not really sure why you’re barking up this particular tree, buddy. 

Edited by El Zen

22 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Not really sure why you’re barking up this particular tree, buddy. 

I guess it's discussing football in a football forum. I hope Vålerenga do ok, Oslo and Norwegian football needs that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shock waves through the Eliteserie as Vålerenga name their new manager: Geir Bakke. 

This means nothing to you, but Bakke joins directly from fierce rivals LSK, where he’s been very successfull. 

Imagine, if you can, SHA having a highly respected manager, loved by the fans and delivering success. But deep down, he loves the Villa, and when the opportunity comes, he jumps ship and joins the bigger club. 

I’m delighted. 

27 minutes ago, El Zen said:

Shock waves through the Eliteserie as Vålerenga name their new manager: Geir Bakke. 

This means nothing to you, but Bakke joins directly from fierce rivals LSK, where he’s been very successfull. 

Imagine, if you can, SHA having a highly respected manager, loved by the fans and delivering success. But deep down, he loves the Villa, and when the opportunity comes, he jumps ship and joins the bigger club. 

I’m delighted. 

Really good coach and very respected. As mentioned elsewhere, this is what Trøim's money get you as generally reported you will have to pay millions for his release. Dirty money but still money for you east end boys 🙂

• Haha 1

Third tier Kjelsås are through to the semi final of the Norwegian Cup after beating second tier Raufoss. They’ll host Molde for a place in the final. I think it’s a lovely story (Norwegian third tier is amateur level, although increasingly less so) but I’m frankly disgusted by the lack of a pitch invasion at full time. Seriously. 

In the other semi final, Vålerenga will host Bodø/Glimt. 

In short, it will be a Molde-Bodø/Glimt final, which means the atmosphere for the final will be absolutely flat. Both sets of fans are laughably bad, and both clubs are utterly vile. 

Edited by El Zen

I remember when I was living in Oslo for 2 years between 1998 and 2000. (I still speak pretty good Norwegian actually :))

One of the best days ever was when Norway beat Brazil and Karl Johan Gate was instantaneously rammed with people celebrating the win. 

I was amongst them.

The Aftenposten next day was a picture of Central Oslo, rammed full of people celebrating, with the headline, "Takk"

Drillo, Mykland, Flo etc... :)

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 2

Â