Stuttering posts

lapal_fan

Question

Hi, 

As of last night, when opening the VT tab on Chrome (on mobile), some posts, sort of... "Drag", whilst others don't.  Doesn't happen to any other websites, just 40% of the posts on VT.  Looks like a graphical glitch.  Hard to describe! Anyone else having this?

(It didn't happen when writing this post!)

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Hi, 

As of last night, when opening the VT tab on Chrome (on mobile), some posts, sort of... "Drag", whilst others don't.  Doesn't happen to any other websites, just 40% of the posts on VT.  Looks like a graphical glitch.  Hard to describe! Anyone else having this?

(It didn't happen when writing this post!)

Please read the text in red at the top if the forum and provide the information requested.

Does it happen when you try another device?

When this happens, does the page just finish like the screen shot or does it look normal once it finishes loading? Does a refresh fix it? Is it happening when certain adverts are present on the page?

I've just done my overnight catch up on my android with chrome and in 10 minutes it's not happened once. It might be that it's caused by an advert, in which case it will fix itself, but if I can identify which one is causing it I might be able to make that happen sooner.

PS. I didn't realise people still used Android with navigation buttons on the screen :mrgreen:

It's fine on my laptop (I'm using now).  Refreshing and closing the tab hasn't worked, neither has a phone restart.

Never had this problem before, it's quite strange!

Doesn't seem to be linked to adverts either, that beatles picture was in phunnay pics thread I think, but it seems to be certain posts just cause this "tearing" effect.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

It's fine on my laptop (I'm using now).  Refreshing and closing the tab hasn't worked, neither has a phone restart.

Never had this problem before, it's quite strange!

Doesn't seem to be linked to adverts either, that beatles picture was in phunnay pics thread I think, but it seems to be certain posts just cause this "tearing" effect.

I've cleared the system caches just in case which I don't think will help, but it's particularly odd that I couldn't reproduce it. I'll have a look at the posts in that thread around that picture in case someone that doesn't know how to "paste without formatting" has included something odd. Usually Google's spider tells me that though.

7 minutes ago, hogso said:

I've found it's any thread with a quote or an embedded picture. This thread was fine before the quote - now it isn't 

Every thread has quotes in it and most have embedded images. I don't think I understand what you're saying. lapal said this was occasional and random. Are you sure it's the same problem?

I've just tried this thread on Android with Chrome and it's loaded fine. Are you running an up to date Android and Chrome?

Yes, chrome and android as up to date as they can be on my device. 

Android Emui 12.0.0.139 on Huawei P30 Pro 

Chrome 110.0.5481.65

It certainly appears to be the same problem based on the screen provided by @lapal_fan

As I attempted to type this message in chrome, the 'add files' button triggered the screen tearing issue, for lack of a better term. I've now moved to another browser to finish this post. 

It certainly seems to be caused by items within threads like quoted posts and imbedded images. A thread will be fine until I reach such a post, and it will then cause it to become nigh on unreadable. 

Example - I have just read page 9 of the Persona thread in games and gaming, as @Risso post has started a new page. No issues reading it in chrome.

I then went to the next unread post in that forum, which was @Farlz post in the fantasy league thread. As I scroll up everything is fine until I reach the post above @a-k. Screenshot attached. 

I continue to use chrome for browsing other websites on the same device with no issues. 

Screenshot_20230219_185626.jpg

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yes, chrome and android as up to date as they can be on my device. 

Android Emui 12.0.0.139 on Huawei P30 Pro 

Chrome 110.0.5481.65

It certainly appears to be the same problem based on the screen provided by @lapal_fan

As I attempted to type this message in chrome, the 'add files' button triggered the screen tearing issue, for lack of a better term. I've now moved to another browser to finish this post. 

It certainly seems to be caused by items within threads like quoted posts and imbedded images. A thread will be fine until I reach such a post, and it will then cause it to become nigh on unreadable. 

Example - I have just read page 9 of the Persona thread in games and gaming, as @Risso post has started a new page. No issues reading it in chrome.

I then went to the next unread post in that forum, which was @Farlz post in the fantasy league thread. As I scroll up everything is fine until I reach the post above @a-k. Screenshot attached. 

I continue to use chrome for browsing other websites on the same device with no issues. 

Screenshot_20230219_185626.jpg

What adverts are on the page when this happens?

29 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Hi Limpid, 

I don't think it's tied to adverts, it's more posts which contain quotes for me. 

Gifs seem ok, pictures mostly seem ok, it's just any post with a quoted post in it. 

My Laptop is fine.  Just my android like @hogso

I don't understand how something like this could be affecting just two posters and I can't reproduce it on the same OS and browser.

I've added you to the subscribers group to see if that helps. Can you let me know?

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

I don't understand how something like this could be affecting just two posters and I can't reproduce it on the same OS and browser.

I've added you to the subscribers group to see if that helps. Can you let me know?

Of course, no problem.

FWIW I noticed it on Friday night. 

I have to admit, when I first noticed the issue I thought it would be hardware related at my end. So I was quite relieved to see @lapal_fan make a post about the same problem.

I can only assume there is something about our devices and/or the current software versions we're using which makes us unique among regular users. Very odd indeed. 

The issue persists for me since being added to the supporters group. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I have to admit, when I first noticed the issue I thought it would be hardware related at my end. So I was quite relieved to see @lapal_fan make a post about the same problem.

I can only assume there is something about our devices and/or the current software versions we're using which makes us unique among regular users. Very odd indeed. 

The issue persists for me since being added to the supporters group. 

I hadn't added you :mrgreen: I have now.

On 19/02/2023 at 11:31, limpid said:

Does it happen when you try another device?

When this happens, does the page just finish like the screen shot or does it look normal once it finishes loading? Does a refresh fix it? Is it happening when certain adverts are present on the page?

I've just done my overnight catch up on my android with chrome and in 10 minutes it's not happened once. It might be that it's caused by an advert, in which case it will fix itself, but if I can identify which one is causing it I might be able to make that happen sooner.

PS. I didn't realise people still used Android with navigation buttons on the screen :mrgreen:

mqdefault.jpg

I'm afraid not. 

I did get excited when I saw @Stevo985 had posted in here thinking, yes, someone else affected by this - perhaps we can narrow down the similarities a bit and get to the bottom of it, but alas, it seems it is just the two of us. 

I will stop using Chrome on my mobile to avoid the problem - I appreciate that doesn't help find out the cause, though. 

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I'm afraid not. 

I did get excited when I saw @Stevo985 had posted in here thinking, yes, someone else affected by this - perhaps we can narrow down the similarities a bit and get to the bottom of it, but alas, it seems it is just the two of us. 

I will stop using Chrome on my mobile to avoid the problem - I appreciate that doesn't help find out the cause, though. 

It's definitely a puzzling one.