Google Wallet

mjmooney

I raised this in the Piss You Off thread some time ago, but it's still bugging me, and this is probably the better place to ask. 

When Google Pay became Google Wallet, the old Pay icon disappeared from my (Android) home screen, and there seems to be no way to get the Wallet icon on there (although it exists in the installed apps list). We ascertained that this does not really matter for payment purposes, as long as NFC is on, Wallet still works 'invisibly' as the default payment method. 

But there's more to it than that. For example, I have an electronic gig ticket in my Wallet - to show it at the door, I need to open Wallet. The only two ways I can do this are: (a) Go to Settings/App Management/search apps list, find Wallet and click the 'open' button, or (b) (slightly quicker) open Play Store, search for Wallet, and click 'open'. This seems ridiculous, when all it needs is a simple home screen icon - one press. But nowhere is there a 'add to home screen' option. 

The only thing I can think to try is to uninstall it and reinstall, but I'm wary that it might forget all its settings, and I'd have to set up cards, etc. all over again. 

If you have a relatively recent Android version, there should be a quick settings tile for Wallet.

From your home screen, swipe down from the top twice  This shows all your active tiles (you can swipe sideways if there are too many for one page. If Wallet isn't there, click the edit (pencil) symbol and add it. You can sort them to the order that you want. The first four appear on the first down swipe for fast access.

Or you can just say "open Google Wallet app" to the assistant.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

If you have a relatively recent Android version, there should be a quick settings tile for Wallet.

From your home screen, swipe down from the top twice  This shows all your active tiles (you can swipe sideways if there are too many for one page. If Wallet isn't there, click the edit (pencil) symbol and add it. You can sort them to the order that you want. The first four appear on the first down swipe for fast access.

Nope. Wallet ain't there. I'm on Android 11. 

Wallet.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

41 minutes ago, blandy said:

I just tried it and it worked by press and hold the Pay app, and then drag it to the Home Screen. I know you said you have wallet, not pay, but its there on my Android 11

Sorry, but where was it when you pressed, held and dragged it, if not on a home screen? 

You sure there isn't a shortcut. On iPhones you double click the power button and it automatically opens your wallet.

Could it be your phone has something similar but you're not aware of it? MIght be worth a google

• Like 1

On my Pixel I get a Wallet icon in the bottom right corner when I long-press the powerbutton when the screen is off.

edit, its on my lockscreen actually so....dunno

Edited by Tegis

or settings. System> Gestures> power menu "Cards and passes" Show cards and passes: To access things like payment methods and boarding passes press and hold the power button (toggle that "on")

1 hour ago, blandy said:

The screen with all the apps on it

Screenshot_20221017-153207.png

and I dragged it to here

Screenshot_20221017-153345.png

D'oh - that's it! Thank you! 

Basically, I never swipe down to look at that screen, as I've organised all the ones I use onto home screens. In effect, I'd forgotten it even existed! 

Close thread. 

• Like 2

On 17/10/2022 at 16:58, mjmooney said:

D'oh - that's it! Thank you! 

Basically, I never swipe down to look at that screen, as I've organised all the ones I use onto home screens. In effect, I'd forgotten it even existed! 

Close thread. 

Minor point and maybe you knew, but you get to that apps screen by swiping up from the bottom (or up from anywhere really).

Â