Japan

El Zen

22 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Whats your plan? 

My older son studies in Tokyo, so the main thing is to go over to see him for the first time since the pandemic started. We'll stay 3 days in Osaka and take the Shinkansen to Tokyo and spend 3 days there.

In Osaka, I definitely want to see the White Castle, it looks superb. The wife wants to do shopping in Namba and the boys want to go to Universal Studios.  

In Tokyo our plans are not specific yet, but we'll stay in Shinjuku. I want to visit the New York Bar in Park Hayatt Hotel, the one where "Lost in Translation" was filmed in. Probably go to the Metropolitan Government Building Observatory Deck too while we're staying right next to it. Other than that, it's up to the son. He'll probably take us to Akihabara to all the game stores, LOL.

• Like 1

You must do Namba at night.

There is a large section of blocks in the south eastern part which have an excellent variety of food, which you will be spoilt for choice. It is my favourite reason why I go to Osaka.

Also, if you enter Namba from a little wooden bridge, the side with the neon running dude, just as you enter the mall to your right is the best tempura I will guarantee you will ever taste. Not gluggy, soaked in oil, or tasteless, but very crisp and full of flavour, and especially good with beer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Might be worth at least a day trip to Kyoto when you're in Osaka due to the proximity.

We were first going to go to Kyoto, but then found that in Osaka we find more things to do to all of us (better shopping for the wife mostly :))

Kyoto is my favourite city in the world to be honest 

Its the biggest Japanese city not to be attacked during the war and as a result it has all its temples intact, the thing with it is more the drop in pace though, to me it felt noticeably different to Osaka and Tokyo with a lot of history and old buildings, not neccesarily everybody's thing, osaka is a cool place 

I'd definitley suggest a day trip to somewhere though, nara is again a good drop in pace and has just the one huge temple, kyoto is easy, even hiroshima is only 80 minutes away on the bullet train, himeji is even closer (you pass it on the way to hiroshima and it is impressive) I didn't do kobe or yokohama or mount fuji or nikko, there's loads to do

As something different which may or not be your thing disney in Tokyo is really good, the people are so nice there that it's got a completely different vibe to the American parks, I did the normal one but there's also Disney Sea which is usually rated as the best Disney Park in the world, there's a bus to there next to shinjuku Station 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Kyoto is my favourite city in the world to be honest 

Its the biggest Japanese city not to be attacked during the war and as a result it has all its temples intact, the thing with it is more the drop in pace though, to me it felt noticeably different to Osaka and Tokyo with a lot of history and old buildings, not neccesarily everybody's thing, osaka is a cool place 

I'd definitley suggest a day trip to somewhere though, nara is again a good drop in pace and has just the one huge temple, kyoto is easy, even hiroshima is only 80 minutes away on the bullet train, himeji is even closer (you pass it on the way to hiroshima and it is impressive) I didn't do kobe or yokohama or mount fuji or nikko, there's loads to do

As something different which may or not be your thing disney in Tokyo is really good, the people are so nice there that it's got a completely different vibe to the American parks, I did the normal one but there's also Disney Sea which is usually rated as the best Disney Park in the world, there's a bus to there next to shinjuku Station 

I agree, Kyoto is my favorite too. I've been there three times, and always done a one-day bus tour around the city to see the major attractions. The others are not so much into temples and history, so we decided against it. Same more or less goes for the other places you guys have suggested. 

• Like 1

I don't recall there being anything special in Osaka. Many things to see in Kyoto---Sanjusangendo was one of the most incredible things I've seen. Kobe is nice as well, as is Uji, a relatively small (by Japanese standards) picturesque city that is the green tea capital of Japan.

On 12/12/2021 at 20:04, a-k said:

I don't recall there being anything special in Osaka. Many things to see in Kyoto---Sanjusangendo was one of the most incredible things I've seen. Kobe is nice as well, as is Uji, a relatively small (by Japanese standards) picturesque city that is the green tea capital of Japan.

Really? Not even the White Castle?

In Kyoto, I have already visited for example these sites:

Fushimi Inari-Taisha Shrine

Kinkakuji Temple (Golden Temple)

Sanjusangendo Temple

Nijo Castle (Top site for me)

Kiyomizu-dera Temple (Top site for me)

Arashiyama bamboo area

Kennin-ji Temple

Tenryuchi Temple

Imperial Palace

Higashi Hongan-ji Temple