The Villa Talks Podcast

omariqy

• 4 weeks later...

Was listening to the latest pod today and you were talking about salary caps. Most of the leading sports in Australia have caps, a-league (football), Australian rules and rugby league. 

It throws up different winners each season, but the well run clubs with the best coaches still seem to be regularly competitive and challenging for the title. Even Man City that own Melbourne City in the a- league aren’t dominate like in the PL only recently won their first championship.

IMO a salary cap would create a level playing field, every team would have a better chance of being competitive and it would come down to the best run clubs with the best managers who would be successful.

The salary cap also moves talent around, so teams can’t stockpile the best players.

I doubt we will ever see it in the PL or European football, but football would be more competitive and financially stable.

• Like 2

On 17/12/2021 at 10:11, QldVilla said:

Was listening to the latest pod today and you were talking about salary caps. Most of the leading sports in Australia have caps, a-league (football), Australian rules and rugby league. 

It throws up different winners each season, but the well run clubs with the best coaches still seem to be regularly competitive and challenging for the title. Even Man City that own Melbourne City in the a- league aren’t dominate like in the PL only recently won their first championship.

IMO a salary cap would create a level playing field, every team would have a better chance of being competitive and it would come down to the best run clubs with the best managers who would be successful.

The salary cap also moves talent around, so teams can’t stockpile the best players.

I doubt we will ever see it in the PL or European football, but football would be more competitive and financially stable.

Yeah personally I would be all for it but can’t see it happening. What did you think of the socios chat? Sorry about my audio. Joey D’Urso’s mic wasn’t working so we had to do it on teams and record it from there.

15 hours ago, omariqy said:

Yeah personally I would be all for it but can’t see it happening. What did you think of the socios chat? Sorry about my audio. Joey D’Urso’s mic wasn’t working so we had to do it on teams and record it from there.

No, all good. Had a radio show in Brisbane which was football based for nearly six years in the early 2000's, you are always going to get a small technical issue.

With regards to the socios, I get that the club is looking to explore every avenue possible to improve the club's financial return in order to grow and become more competitive. The club has a lot of fans around the world and they have been poor in engaging them outside of the odd email to buy more merchandise from the store.

This is obviously a way of monetizing fan opinion and engagement around the world, but I'm highly suspicious of anything that can be voted on being actually endorsed by the club. I've been a member of the supporters trust for many years and although the odd CEO has made the gesture over the years to attend an AGM, they've never gone away taking feedback and implementing some of the bigger ideas into the club to my knowledge.

Should we be involved in socios, personally I don't believe so. But there's two sides to the argument. Those fans wanting to "invest" in the club with the hope it contributes to a larger transfer war chest etc etc. And possibly fans like me who see this as another form of lip service for ticking the engaging with fans box, with the club getting all the benefit and the fans more out of pocket and nothing real to show for it. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Â