Tedious Link Number 47: Barry Off To Liverpool, Apparently.

JohnCresswell

Well, there's nothing going on really is there? With Manchester United having all but secured the title, nothing else really happening and the transfer window about to open I'm afraid today marks the start of the transfer window nonsense.

We've had some things spoted in various newspapers before now, Brian Howard, James Beattie for £4million (!), but today we've made the back pages so I think we can call a beginning to it all. Enjoy it folks, we've got this until September now.

According to 'The Sun', Villa's captain who is 14th in the list of all time appearances for the club is wanted by Rafa Benitez so much that he'll throw his toys out of pram if his doesn't get him.

Benitez, of course, is telling the Liverpool board that they need to back him this summer so he can launch an assault on the Premier League next season. Clearly the near £50million he received last summer wasn't enough for him.

It's reported Barry has already purchased a 'Learn Spanish in 24 hours' CD ROM from the Sutton Coldfield Post Office. He has also started to a number of 'Sponsored Silences' to earn money for charity to get ready for the weekly minutes silence before games at Anfield. Well, not really I've obviously made that bit up.

Let me get this straight. I simply cannot believe that even if Barry was to leave Villa - which I do not think he will - it wouldn't be to Liverpool. They've got a plethora of central midfielders - Alonso, Lucas, Mascarano, and of course that cheat Gerrard. Barry, who has just managed to break into the England team will not want to immediately drop out of the squad because he is not playing regularly - something that has happened to his peers by no-nonsense coach Fabio Capello.

It's also interesting to see this crop up in the week before the local derby with small heath, following two games where Barry has become rejuvenated and much more influential on the pitch.

It also happens to be in the same newspaper which a certain employee of small heath writes a little column where she tells us all what shes done this week.

It's very interesting, honest. It's just a coincidence, though.

I must admit that should Barry leave then I would be disappointed. He's stuck with us through the bad times, has many more years left in him and has become Aston Villa's 'John Terry' figure. It was only last week that Martin O'Neill was talking about extending his contract, and should O'Neill and the board be serious about taking this club on to the next level they wouldn't be sanctioning moves such as this.

I'd also be disappointed as I quite like Gareth Barry and it'd be a shame to see not only his England future that he has worked so hard for in tatters, but to see him play for such a dull football team to watch with an internal management issue only two years after he witnessed one at Villa Park.

Spot on that John!

I think Barry would be foolish to move to Warzone Anfield, unless he wants to put his feet up and just play in the league cup , make the odd league start and play from the bench at Centre Forward (Just look at where Carragher plays!). The other question has to be. Will Benetiz actually be the manager at Anfield for that much longer, he is so embroiled in the battle of words, one of the owners has asked him to step down, they've already admitted to seeking out alternative managers. At the moment I'd think you'd need lobotomising before you agreed to a move to Anfield such is the state of things away from the pitch

Let Rafa throw his toys out of the pram then. :angry:

I suspect he won't be their manager by the start of the new season anyway. If we do get a call we should tell them we want Gerrard as a make weight in the deal or they can forget it!

What also pisses me off about these kind of rumours involving Villa players to bigger clubs is the pathetic price tag. 12m for our captain and currrent England international! It's like....well, he only plays for Villa so he couldn't possibly be worth as much as a Spurs player.

Â