Baseball

ianrobo1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey; thanks for explaining a lot Levi - I really appreciate that, you've given me more insight into the playoffs itself that seem to resemble pretty similar to the NBA playoffs. Is that the norm for all Americans sports where 8 will make the playoffs and eventually the best from Western Conference meets best from Eastern Confernce in teh final; except the best from NL plays the best from AL in baseball otherwise known as the 'World Series' in baseball (btw, the 'world series' really does need to be changed haha)?

As for the T.V. coverage... that's very interesting. Even though the AL and NL seem to be evenly matched (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems like an unfair advantage to the clubs who are playing National Division Series... but it does sound all too familiar with the Sky 4 lol.

Just a couple more points: I really am amazed how often baseball clubs have to play, nearly every day which is pretty astonishing. I'm still surprised to see packed stadiums when it's the afternoon American time because you'd think that kids would still be at school, men and women at work... but ofcourse, because the MLB seems to be such a loooooooooong schedule of games I suppose these matches have to be played at these odd times during the day. But fair play to those who attend, I couldn't even to begin to imagined if the F.A. started having matches on Tuesday afternoons.

And finally... why does this annoying commentator (no idea what he's called) on ESPN keep saying it's inevitable that it'll be a Yankees - Dodgers final? Obviously In know Yankees and Dodgers are two of the best teams around in MLB, but don't you think it's possible for Red Sox and Phillies to get gatecrash the party?

The reason it's called the "World Series" is because when it was first called that, the newspaper "The World" was the sponsor, hence "The World" Series.....

But that was so long ago, most Americans don't know this.

Oh no, you like the Phillies Levi!?

I'll say..

Yankees in 3

Red Sox in 5

Phillies in 4

Dodgers in 4

Half my family is Philadelphian... thus I also consider the Eagles my NFC team :D

(my second AFC team is of course the Browns... so between the Patriots, Eagles, and Browns, I really hate the Steelers!)

Oh no, you like the Phillies Levi!?

I'll say..

Yankees in 3

Red Sox in 5

Phillies in 4

Dodgers in 4

Half my family is Philadelphian... thus I also consider the Eagles my NFC team :D

(my second AFC team is of course the Browns... so between the Patriots, Eagles, and Browns, I really hate the Steelers!)

I am very disappointed, I really can't stand any of the teams from Philly. :shock:

A least we have a mutual none-liking for the Steelers. Then again, who does like them? :lol:

Please answer this for me, I am not baseball savvy. I know that during reg season each game has a different pitcher starting for each team but when the play-offs begin do they pick only the strongest pitchers to play all the matches?

Most baseball starting pitchers need 4 days rest to be at their maximum effectiveness. During the regular season, there are games almost every day, so you need 5 starters to keep the 4 days of rest schedule for each pitcher. In the postseason, there are more off days, so teams can afford to limit their pitching rotations to the 3 or 4 best instead of 5. Often times, teams will use their best pitcher after only 3 days of rest, especially if it's an elimination game in a series.

Most baseball starting pitchers need 4 days rest to be at their maximum effectiveness. During the regular season, there are games almost every day, so you need 5 starters to keep the 4 days of rest schedule for each pitcher. In the postseason, there are more off days, so teams can afford to limit their pitching rotations to the 3 or 4 best instead of 5. Often times, teams will use their best pitcher after only 3 days of rest, especially if it's an elimination game in a series.

That's a major factor in why the clubs that do better in the regular season get knocked out in the divisional series... I believe the figure since 1995 (the first postseason with this format... it was supposed to have been brought in in 1994, but the strike killed that season) is that the team with the better regular season record has only won 48% of the time. The extra wins in the regular season are often accounted for by having a more consistent pitching rotation (or at least having #4 and #5 starters who would be #2 or #3 starters on most teams). Since in a five-game series, especially with the way the American League spaces out the games, the #4 and #5 starters are essentially non-factors, all of a sudden the two teams are on a more level playing field... all you need is your top 2 pitchers to win their starts and you're basically through.

In a seven-game series, since it's scheduled along these lines, with the ideal starting pitcher:

Day 1: @ higher seed (#1 starter)

Day 2: @ higher seed (#2)

Day 3: travel day

Day 4: @ lower seed (#3)

Day 5: @ lower seed (#4 or #1 if the other team is 3-0 up)

Day 6: @ lower seed [if necessary] (#1 or #2)

Day 7: travel day

Day 8: @ higher seed (#2 or #3)

Day 9: @ higher seed (#3 or #1)

It's also not unheard of for a pitcher who normally starts to pitch relief in a must-win game, e.g. Pedro Martinez in 1999.

Â