Where were you?

paddy

Where were you when we won in Rotterdam?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Where were you when we won in Rotterdam?

• I was there!
    • At the pub
    • At home, i was only a wee nipper
    • At home with some mates
    • I don't remember i wasn't interested in football
    • I wasn't even born
    • I watched it but can't remember where

Richard - good thing your brother was not there :-)

I actually took my brother to the second leg of the Super Cup the next year when we beat Barcelona.

To be fair to him he cheered for the Villa and was happy when we won. Not half as happy as me by the way.

That's why, even though he is a bluenose, he is not as bad as the rest of them

Watched on TV at home. Was only 8 at the time, but at least that was old enough to have good memories of both winning the European Cup and the League.

Great, great days. Fave player at that time was a toss up between Sir Sidney of Cowans and Tony Morley.

use to try to emulate them down the park, with jumpers for goalposts etc :D

Tony "Jacuzzi or TV Guvnor" Morley for me every time.

I have never seen anyone dominate a wing like him. Give him the ball and he would fly past anyone and set up a chance for Withe or Shaw.

Mind you some of the passes that Sid used to thread through to him were truly glorious. And they used to say RS teams were boring......

And they used to say RS teams were boring......

from when I first started watching the Villa under RS the team was pretty exciting, from what I can recall as a little kid first watching the game. OK, so we had some "dogged" players in there like your Mortimers and Bremners and Withey etc but you need these in any team, and these were counterbalanced by the Likes of Shaw, Morley and Sid.

That was one of the secrets to our success at the time I think. A really well balanced side that had both flair and steel and that worked their socks off. Let's hope DOL can pull off something similar. The signs look good so far. :D

Im very ashamed to say, i watched at home. Yes i was old enough, but i was in love(?) & my girlfriend at that time was worried about the aggro at the semi-final & asked me not to go, so like a complete prick i did as she asked.

BOY DO I REGRET THAT.

It goes to prove, what length i will go to, to get my leg over. :oops:

Im very ashamed to say, i watched at home. Yes i was old enough, but i was in love(?) & my girlfriend at that time was worried about the aggro at the semi-final & asked me not to go, so like a complete prick i did as she asked.

BOY DO I REGRET THAT.

It goes to prove, what length i will go to, to get my leg over. :oops:

Dear God Man!!! Are you still with her?

When Dennis went up to lift the European Cup I was there, I was there...When Dennis went up to lift the European Cup I was there!!

I hope those of you that were not get the opportunity to see Olof do the same but one man stands in the way of that and he was not in the way on that night!

I do believe. I KNOW that with some decent cash o'leary can take us places. I wasn't born till '88 so there's nothing i want to see more than olly lifting a european trophy.

also born in '88 great year but not for Villa... When Olof lifts the cup I'll be there however much it costs, I'll probably go bankrupt on that night as I hope to still be a student at the time give it 3 years...

I was there. Gr8 night. Can see me on the video with dodgy wedge haircut and popular (at the time !) burgundy cords and light blue jumper going mad with Pete W scored. Whilst we were delirious after I do remember a sense of anti climax since it was straight back on the coach and we had none of the beer mentioned elsewhere to consume. fantastic memories following on from being at Highbury the year before. We never got the credit we deserved since footy wasn't popular culture at the time

Also remember it was a very hot day and the Bayern fans were constantly chanting "Argentina" with ref to the Falklands which was ongoing at the time. We retorted with "Royal Britannia". As fans we had a bit of a reputation following on from Andelecht so security was very tight. My m8 not understanding dutch currency paid about £5 (lot of money then) for a can of coke much to everyone elses amusement.

Journey was by coach and ferry and we left the evening before and slept on train. Bit different to today when you'd fly and sleep in a hotel. Happy days

Tony "Jacuzzi or TV Guvnor" Morley for me every time.

never saw morley in his prime unfortunately, i saw him play for the 'old stars' last year and he was absolutely awesome, you could see how good he was in his day, his skill and crossing ability was still fantastic (if his pace and stamina was a little on the decline), i'd have absolutely loved to watch him play at his best

other players that stood out that day were des bremner (must have been one of the best central defenders we've ever had) and cowans (obviously)

tony daley also stood out but only because he got caught offside the best part of 20 times in the first half, i think the linesman was slightly dodgy but his positioning was pretty bad, still had lightning pace though