Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Team to play Durham in the FA League Cup tonight, 6pm kick-off, being streamed on the FA Player

Leat, Mayling, Corsie, Parker, Pacheco, Staniforth, McLoughlin, Blindkilde, Hanson, Leon, Salmon

Patten, MacPhail, Sallaway, Nobbs, Dali, Daly

No goalkeeper on the bench, Lehmann, Mullett and Turner missing also, there was apparently a stomach bug going around the squad at the weekend and some played whilst poorly during the Man City game, so maybe the absentees are related to that.

I don't think we'll be relegated that's for certain but I'm struggling to agree with the idea that we won't be anywhere near it now. There is absolutely nothing to prove otherwise. 

Can't defend a lead for the life of us and the only 2 teams we've beat are the pair below us, which we made very hard work of the West Ham one and were quite fortunate. 

Been a dreadful season and I see very little to suggest it's suddenly going to get any better unfortunately. 

Finishd 5-1, I didn't see the second half other than the last five or minutes so missed all the goals other Daly's hat-trick goal towards the end. But another good win in this competition, and great to see Lydia Sallaway come on for her debut, I think sh's just sixteen, for the brief spell I saw she looked good as well, some good touches and good composure, I think normally a left-back, but looked like she was playing on the left-side of central defence, so maybe she plays both.

I've seen the full game now, we weren't bad first half, just wasteful in front of goal, but second half was much better upped the tempo which lead to better opportunities.

McLoughlin had another very good game, deserves more game time, looks one of our best players on the ball in terms of how comfortable she is, even when under pressure, and starting to look more of an all round midfield now, need to see more of her in the WSL, but she's starting to look on Blindkilde's level to me, who also had another good game.

Other positives are Dali came on is starting to look more and more like she was before her injury, creating chances, and all over the pitch, controlling the game, and obviously Daly played well, and scored a good hat-trick, last goal was a great precision finish from awkward angle, had to hit exactly where she did otherwise would have gone wide or keeper would have saved it.

Five wins from the last seven now in all competitions, need to beat Brighton to make it six wins from the last eight, and three from the last five in the WSL, do that and things will start to look more positive, but that won't fix everything just a start, in theory other than Man Utd away, we have a good run of fixtures coming up, which we really should be looking to take a decent amount of points from.

No goalkeeper on the bench, looks like we couldn't get an emergency loan. Our U21s had to play with an outfield player in goal today as well,  they beat Sunderland 2-0, according to the Future Lionesses instagram

Edited by useless

Frustrating game, we're playing well but haven't been able to take our chances.

We need more from Hanson in the final third, she's works hard, but this season in an attacking sense has been nothing like the player she was last season.

Last season Hanson, Dali, and Nobbs got thirty-five goals and assists combined beteen them in the league, this season they have no goals and just have two assists

Again we are playing well, just need to take some of these chances, will actually be even more gutting if we lose having played well

Good win and overall good performance, could have and should have scored more goals.

Good to go into the break on a positive note, six wins from the last eight in all competitions now, and three from the last five in the WSL

Could have done without Liverpool and Spurs winning this weekend, doubly annoying as it was against teams that would normally beat them

We still have things we need to work on, but things looking a little better

Yup good win and from what I saw in the second half we played really well. Begs the question why we’ve tried to persist with Corsie in midfield for so long, really hope that’s the end of that completely. 

Shame it’s been such a rough start but good to end of the year on a high, hopefully can push on again after the winter break. 

• 2 weeks later...

Emma Sanders has done a WSL transfer article for the BBC, doesn't say much about us other than that we've looked at fullback options, and along with Man Utd and West Ham, we've been tracking Eleanor Dale, a forward who plays in the United States for Nebraska Huskers.

Freya Gregory has been recalled from her loan with Reading, a strange one as I think she was doing okay, was getting plenty of game time, and got a few goals and assists.

It's not as if we're short in attack, so won't have been recalled for that reason, unless we're letting one or two go, to make room for signings in areas where we're short.

Or could be that we've found a better loan for her.

Was it a full season long loan to begin with or just half?
I see West Ham have already made 2 signings, no noise from us yet. It's strange because on paper I think we have a great side but on grass we're not seeing that. Possibly some more experience in defence?

It was initially a season long loan, but there's usually an option of a recall in January, might be that we always had it in mind that she could come back.

Very quiet on transfers for us, Carla Ward said she wanted to bring in one or two, so we will see what happens.

I think Leat, Corsie, Staniforth, McLoughlin, Nobbs, and Magill are out of contract in the summer, so probably have to plan with those possible departures in mind as well, going to be some big players that will need replacing.

Although as a promising youngster, I'm hoping we give McLoughlin a new deal, surprised it hasn't already happened

We're apparently signing right-back Noelle Maritz from Arsenal, according to a Swiss publication.

Maritz is a new club colleague of Lehmann
Noelle Maritz (28), 113-time Nati defender, is moving from Arsenal to Aston Villa in the English Women's Super League .

In Birmingham she becomes a teammate of Instagram queen Alisha Lehmann (24), with whom she also plays together in the national team.

After ten rounds, Arsenal are in third place behind Chelsea and Manchester City. Aston Villa follows in ninth position.

https://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/transfer-ticker-2023-alle-wechsel-und-geruechte-id15231802.html

Edited by wishywashy

Â