Racism Part two

Demitri_C

What is more racist?

A white man taking honour and pride in representing himself as a black king?

Or a black king being replaced by a white king?

I am sick and tired of being told what is racist. What is racist is what comes from the heart.

You could spend your entire life without using the word coloured and not painting your face black yet harbour the most vile feelings towards black people.  Or you could paint your face black every day, and dedicate your life to helping the poor and sick in Africa.

In my opinion:

Painting your face black and acting a fool or stupid to imply that the way you are acting is in keeping with your appearance is 100% racist.

Painting your face black in honour of nobility is not racist.

Those that take stock offence to these things, and telling everyone else to take offence also, are ruining this world for everyone.

And no, I’m not ‘white’.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

My point was just both sides of this has become ridiculous.

Has it really, though?

It seems there's one 'side' actively trying to tear society apart and another 'side' wanting this not to happen.

19 minutes ago, Thug said:

What is more racist?

I am sick and tired of being told what is racist. What is racist is what comes from the heart.

You could spend your entire life without using the word coloured and not painting your face black yet harbour the most vile feelings towards black people.  Or you could paint your face black every day, and dedicate your life to helping the poor and sick in Africa.

In my opinion:

Painting your face black and acting a fool or stupid to imply that the way you are acting is in keeping with your appearance is 100% racist.

Those that take stock offence to these things, and telling everyone else to take offence also, are ruining this world for everyone.

And no, I’m not ‘white’.

At the same time you don’t have the right to decide what does and doesn’t offend people. 

Just because you don’t find something offensive doesn’t mean you should keep on doing it if it is offending other people. 

If something you don’t consider racist is deemed to be racist and offensive by those it targets, then you should absolutely welcome being “told” it’s racist

20 minutes ago, Thug said:

What is more racist?

In my opinion:

And no, I’m not ‘white’.

I don't think the bit in bold is remotely true.  It might be in terms of hate, but not racism.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

At the same time you don’t have the right to decide what does and doesn’t offend people. 

Just because you don’t find something offensive doesn’t mean you should keep on doing it if it is offending other people. 

If something you don’t consider racist is deemed to be racist and offensive by those it targets, then you should absolutely welcome being “told” it’s racist

Absolutely, but I’m not being told by those that it ‘targets’

I’m being told by those that it doesn’t target.

Entirely my point.

6 minutes ago, Thug said:

Interesting take.

So you would separate the two?

I mean, racism (and all forms of prejudice) aren't simply a two-fold system of "hate people/don't hate people".  There's all sorts of mixes in there.  Naivety, 'positive' discrimination etc. - it all happens.  Not all racism is borne out of hate.  The worst parts are, though, for sure.

3 minutes ago, Thug said:

Entirely my point.

See, I sort of understand this.  "One" can't dictate what does or does not offend another.  However, I fail to see the harm in saying that something could be conceived as racist or that there may be an issue with what is being said/portrayed.  That's how people generally learn rather than shutting each other down.

"Those that take stock offence" aren't ruining the World at all.  People who don't care - they're the ones who are.

9 minutes ago, Thug said:

Entirely my point.

Then I’d agree. But I doubt anyone is just making this stuff up and telling you it’s racist. And if they are it’s an extreme minority of cases

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I mean, racism (and all forms of prejudice) aren't simply a two-fold system of "hate people/don't hate people".  There's all sorts of mixes in there.  Naivety, 'positive' discrimination etc. - it all happens.  Not all racism is borne out of hate.  The worst parts are, though, for sure.

See, I sort of understand this.  "One" can't dictate what does or does not offend another.  However, I fail to see the harm in saying that something could be conceived as racist or that there may be an issue with what is being said/portrayed.  That's how people generally learn rather than shutting each other down.

"Those that take stock offence" aren't ruining the World at all.  People who don't care - they're the ones who are.

You see, that’s where I disagree.

if we look at the dictionary definition of racism:

The Oxford Dictionary defines racism as “Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one 's own race is superior.” If further defines the same as “The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.” (Oxford Dictionaries | English, 2017)

The dictionary definition absolutely suggests that intent is key.

There is clearly a difference between what is racist and what could be deemed to be racist.

As a decent human being, I will always do my best to avoid any situation where I could be deemed to be racist.  That does not change my belief on what IS racist. In fact, replace the word racist with offensive, as it applies to everything.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Then I’d agree. But I doubt anyone is just making this stuff up and telling you it’s racist. And if they are it’s an extreme minority of cases

I don’t follow.

Please explain.

1 minute ago, Thug said:

You see, that’s where I disagree.

if we look at the dictionary definition of racism:

The Oxford Dictionary defines racism as “Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one 's own race is superior.” If further defines the same as “The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.” (Oxford Dictionaries | English, 2017)

The dictionary definition absolutely suggests that intent is key.

There is clearly a difference between what is racist and what could be deemed to be racist.

As a decent human being, I will always do my best to avoid any situation where I could be deemed to be racist.  That does not change my belief on what IS racist. In fact, replace the word racist with offensive, as it applies to everything.

"He's black so he's got a massive cock".

Racist or not?

1 minute ago, Thug said:

I don’t follow.

Please explain.

If someone is telling you something is racist then it’s probably because it’s racist or offensive to someone. 

Or are you saying that people who aren’t affected by whatever it is are just pretending things are offensive?

If it’s the latter then I’d have to see some examples because I find it hard to believe there are many

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

If someone is telling you something is racist then it’s probably because it’s racist or offensive to someone. 

Or are you saying that people who aren’t affected by whatever it is are just pretending things are offensive?

If it’s the latter then I’d have to see some examples because I find it hard to believe there are many

He’s saying that white people are telling him what’s racist when he's not white

• Like 1

Just now, bobzy said:

"He's black so he's got a massive cock".

Racist or not?

Ahhh, you see, it’s the language used.

I take your quote and send it back to you..

’the average penis length of a man of African descent is greater than that of his European counterpart.’

Racist or not?

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If someone is telling you that the world is flat, doesn’t make it true.

Disclaimer:

Guys, as a member of an ethnic minority I absolutely feel the love in your opinions, and I thank you for having them.

This is for debate purposes only.

5 minutes ago, Thug said:

Ahhh, you see, it’s the language used.

I take your quote and send it back to you..

’the average penis length of a man of African descent is greater than that of his European counterpart.’

Racist or not?

Well that's not the same at all, is it? :D 

The one I've given is racial profiling - he is black therefore he must.  The second is a factual quote (well, might not be, I have no idea) around averages.

It doesn't come from a place of hate or anything - in fact, having a massive cock is deemed to be a positive, but it's absolutely racism.  That's my point.  Prejudicism isn't always a hate thing.  It's just that the worst kinds of it are.

Edited by bobzy

Just now, bobzy said:

The one I've given is racial profiling - he is black therefore he must.  The second is a factual quote (well, might not be, I have no idea) around averages.

It doesn't come from a place of hate or anything - it fact, having a massive cock is deemed to be a positive, but it's absolutely racism.  That's my point.  Prejudicism isn't always a hate thing.  It's just that the worst kinds of it are.

But you see, the dictionary definition (you may argue that it is outdated - but that’s a separate debate) would say that for something to be racist, you need to have the belief that one race is inferior due to that point.

so back to your question. The context is key.

Two girls discussing boyfriends, and one saying to the other that she loves black men because:

’They have massive cocks’ - absolutely not racist.  Stereotyping yes, racist no.  There is no intent to degrade the race based on presumptions.

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It doesn't come from a place of hate or anything - it fact, having a massive cock is deemed to be a positive, but it's absolutely racism.  That's my point.  Prejudicism isn't always a hate thing.  It's just that the worst kinds of it are.

If I was to say I love Latin women because they have big asses… is that racist?

11 minutes ago, Thug said:

If someone is telling you that the world is flat, doesn’t make it true.

That’s a completely ridiculous comparison. 

Like I said if somebody is pretending something is offensive then I totally agree with you. But I wouldn’t mind knowing some examples of that

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

He’s saying that white people are telling him what’s racist when he's not white

And I’m saying that those white people won’t have just made up that something is racist. 

Just because he doesn’t think it’s racist doesn’t mean that other minorities also don’t. And someone telling you something is racist PROBABLY comes from the right place, ie someone does find it offensive

Â