Week 8

Brumerican

Because there were blatantly things that weren't called. The pick play in Cooks' TD, the phantom hold on Shead, the other blatant pick play for a gain of 30 yards, Hightower going out of bounds which didn't stop the clock (WTF) and we had to waste a time out. And even after all that, we nearly won. Says it all about the Saints really.

As I said on Sunday, Seahawks fans, neutral fans and even some Saints fans were saying the Seahawks got hosed.

But fine, enjoy your win.

Oh and how about a 15 yard penalty for hugging a ref? Come on.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I don't care about the 1st stat. We play close to the line, I acknowledge that.

What I can't get my head around is that apparently every opponent plays clean against us. The Saints had 2 penalties for 10 yards (2 false starts). You're telling me they didn't hold? Push off? DPI? Block in the back? Nothing? It defies logic that there's this disparity going back. Read the whole Tweet thread, it's interesting.

Come on.

Edited by StefanAVFC

12 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

. And even after all that, we nearly won. Says it all about the Saints really.

All it says about the Saints is that they can still beat the Seahawks despite having one of the worse defences in the league :)

all teams get bad calls , if seahawks are getting more than anyone else then maybe they are playing over the line  instead of close to it ?

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

all teams get bad calls , if seahawks are getting more than anyone else then maybe they are playing over the line  instead of close to it ?

Did you read my post or just make a lazy post about the Seahawks? I even explained this in my above post. Don't be lazy.

It has nothing to do with the Seahawks getting penalties against them. I acknowledged that and I don't have a problem with it.

It's the total lack of penalties called against their opponent where there's a huge discrepancy. 4.8 per game called against opponents. Lowest in the NFL. Saints had two called against them all game. Two false starts. As I said before, I find it impossible to believe that they didn't commit OPI (they did, twice) didn't hold on offense, didn't have any DPI's etc. It's just inaccurate.

I mean, look at Cooks' TD. Blatant OPI by Snead. (circled)  It's not even close. It's not even a clever pick play where the receiver runs a route into a DB. He holds him and pushes him back as if it was a run. You can't do that. Every ref should know that.

2yvv5hl.jpg

How do you miss that???? And that was ONE of many awful, awful calls.

11 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Did you read my post or just make a lazy post about the Seahawks? I even explained this in my above post. Don't be lazy.

It has nothing to do with the Seahawks getting penalties against them. I acknowledged that and I don't have a problem with it.

It's the total lack of penalties called against their opponent where there's a huge discrepancy. 4.8 per game called against opponents. Lowest in the NFL. Saints had two called against them all game. Two false starts. As I said before, I find it impossible to believe that they didn't commit OPI (they did, twice) didn't hold on offense, didn't have any DPI's etc. It's just inaccurate.

I mean, look at Cooks' TD. Blatant OPI by Snead. (circled)  It's not even close. It's not even a clever pick play where the receiver runs a route into a DB. He holds him and pushes him back as if it was a run. You can't do that. Every ref should know that.

2yvv5hl.jpg

How do you miss that???? And that was ONE of many awful, awful calls.

I don't profess to know all the rules but I watched this TD on my NFL App and the commentators both called it as a legit TD at the time  they did cite the why but the app has removed the individual match day clips now so I can't play it back  to transcribe what they said

didn't Seahawks win the other week when the refs missed a blatant mask pull or something ? that was what I meant about all teams getting bad calls , that the rub didn't go there way on Sunday night I'm sure it's balanced out over a season, even though you are presenting evidence that other teams aren't being called for fouls as often as Hawks are  I suspect their style is a factor in the why  ...  same way players like Roy Keane used to get booked for fouls other players would get away with

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I don't profess to know all the rules but I watched this TD on my NFL App and the commentators both called it as a legit TD at the time  they did cite the why but the app has removed the individual match day clips now so I can't play it back  to transcribe what they said

Just totally wrong. The ref 'pundit' they had during the broadcast on said it was a blatant pick and should have been called. They didn't call it legit. They called it 'unstoppable'. Which it was, because it was illegal.

You can't contact the DB within 1 yard of the LoS. In my screenshot. Snead is BLOCKING (which you can't do while the QB has the ball, full stop) Lane well into the end zone which is 3/4 yards. It's a clear OPI and it's a travesty it wasn't called.

Even if you don't know the rules Tony, the very detailed analysis I posted (from a neutral Skins fans) would allow you to educate yourself. It's illegal to pick like that. Full stop.

didn't Seahawks win the other week when the refs missed a blatant mask pull or something ?

Nope. There was a missed DPI on Sherman at the end of the Falcons game on a hail mary, but the only reason Jones got so wide open was because of a blatant hands to the face that wasn't called. Best case scenario for Falcons would be offsetting penalties and they get 1 more chance to throw a hail mary. Either way that's one call that could have gone either way. In the Saints game, there were multiple BLOWN calls that even Saints fans are saying were totally wrong.

even though you are presenting evidence that other teams aren't being called for fouls as often as Hawks are  I suspect their style is a factor in the why  ...  same way players like Roy Keane used to get booked for fouls other players would get away with

You've missed the point totally again. They aren't evening out. That's the problem. They haven't done so for multiple seasons.

35 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just totally wrong. The ref 'pundit' they had during the broadcast on said it was a blatant pick and should have been called. They didn't call it legit. They called it 'unstoppable'. Which it was, because it was illegal.

Well actually No , I found the clip I heard and my memory wasn't playing tricks on me  ,  the commentary I listened to didn't call it Illegal  , he said live at 1 hour 34 mins 25 secs   , the rules are  etc etc   but I'd like to look at it again to be completely accurate

then at 1 hour 35 mins and 23 secs  he states  that's well executed and well done and every NFL team should have it in their locker as it's unstoppable  , at NO time does he say it wasn't  legit  ...  ( you may have listened to a different stream where they did call it a foul  , but that's irrelevant to you saying I was wrong :)  )

Edited by tonyh29

Tony. This isn't just me saying it's an illegal play based on some replays.

It's an illegal play. You've been shown analysis showing it's illegal, the rules show it's illegal, the ref correspondent saying it's illegal etc and literally your only argument is 'the commentators said it's legal'. it's OPI. Simple as that. You cannot contact the defender after 1 yard on a pass play. Snead is PUSHING (not just contacting) Lane way past 1 yard.

Here's the rule.

It is pass interference by either team when any act by a player more than one yard beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders an eligible player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether the pass is legal or illegal, or whether it crosses the line.

Watch Snead again. I don't see how you can watch him and NOT see that he is blatantly breaking that rule. As I said before, it's unstoppable because it's illegal. Every team doesn't have it in its locker because it's illegal. 

You're just displaying confirmation bias. If Savage is commentating Villa and says something about what's going on, do you take it as 100% true? It's exactly the same thing.

Edited by StefanAVFC

That is offensive pass interference but I can also see why it perhaps wasn't given.  While it shouldn't make a difference, I think the proximity to the end zone was probably a factor.  It kind of muddies the water in terms of judging whether someone would have otherwise caught the ball.  In the bolded part above "hinder an eligible player's opportunity to catch the ball".  He was definitely hindered which is why it's OPI, but would he have caught it before the receiver?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  It's harsh on Seattle but I think Nawleans got the benefit of doubt there when they probably shouldn't have.  As an isolated incident you could say 'shit happens' in terms of refereeing decisions.  Although from what you're saying Stefan, it's far from an isolated incident.

There was two, almost identical in the game Brian. Both were Snead "forgetting" about his route and just running into the DB. One for a TD, one for a key 3rd and 5 completion. There was also a blatant push off by Thomas (3rd down conversion) and a phantom hold on Shead. (3rd down completion)

So frustrating. Yes, we played like utter shit but you need the refs to call an even game. You can't call ticky tack on one team and nothing on the other. I think that's why the Sherman/Jones thing was overblown. Both committed fouls and the refs let them play. All I ask for is consistency.

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's an illegal play. You've been shown analysis showing it's illegal, the rules show it's illegal, the ref correspondent saying it's illegal etc and literally your only argument is 'the commentators said it's legal'

well tbh I thought we'd moved on from the legal argument around the play  and I was responding to you saying I was wrong on what I'd heard  , so apologies if I've misunderstood you on that point 

presumably the commentator is an ex player or something though and knowledgeable enough about the game to make that call ? 

Â