Send Me To Germany!

HanoiVillan

I have a week off work and am thinking of going to Germany for a few days, starting Saturday ideally. Very last minute, but I'm looking for city break recommendations. I've been to Berlin several times, don't mind going back there but also open to visiting other cities for a change if anyone has any good ideas. 

Bavaria is the obvious choice imo

From Munich we headed to Berchtesgaden and did Eagles nest , then headed over to Neuschwanstein castle  both interesting from a historical PoV but also some stunning scenery ... From there we headed North and stopped off in Bayreuth home of Wagner , Zwitzow ( spelling ) home of the Trabant , Leipzig ( home of Bach ) and then ended in Berlin... We just rocked up everywhere with nothing booked and easily got tours and hotels / pensions 

we had a hire car , no idea if you can do it by train bus etc 

Berlin is an interesting place and the renovated check point Charlie is open if you've not been for a few years  but Bavaria is home of the  pork Knuckle with the crispy crackling , food of the gods 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

I went to Munich once about 15 years ago, still just about a kid then. We did go to Neuschwanstein and I remember being absolutely blown away. Haven't done much else nearby. 

One key piece of information I missed off is that it's only for four days. 

That's about all we took to do all that :)

We had one night in each place early starts and then move onto the next destination early evening and arrive in time for a few steins of beer and another early start .. Sleep when you get back to work is the motto ...

but you could do the Munich , eagles nest , castle circuit in 4 days quite comfortably if you didn't want the full monty

other than that maybe look at Cologne or somewhere like that ?

or check out my Poland post and go to Sopot and Gdansk and keep Stefan happy at the same time :) 

• Like 1

Fly into Frankfurt, jump on the train and head to the beautiful UNESCO town of Bamberg. It'll probably take about 60 mins to get there. It's stunning - http://en.bamberg.info/ (official tourist website), and you can visit the Rauchbrauerei Schlenkerla - the home of smoked beer http://www.schlenkerla.de/indexe.html.  There's also Coburg on the way, but I've never been there. Supposed to be great though.

After a night there, on the train again and (you guessed it!) next stop Nuremberg.  It's a massively underrated city, so beautiful and with tonnes of culture.  Plus lots of green space to enjoy.  If you've got an interest in WWII you'd want to head out to the Reichsparteitagsgelände - the Nazi party rally grounds.  The monuments are still there, and there's an incredible museum that presents everything in a very factual and honest way.  Some cracking restaurants and bars too.  Here's the official website again - https://tourismus.nuernberg.de/en/home.html

There's loads to see here, and you could probably hire a car and head out into the surrounding area.  If you want to do some shopping you can drive to Herzogenaurach, and visit the Puma and adidas outlet stores which are right outside the head office of each company.

You could easily do a day trip to Munich if you wanted to see that too, or head down there and stay over before flying back out of Munich airport rather than making a round trip.  Alternatively, do the trip the other way around - from today until Sunday there's a beer festival in Munich to celebrate 500 years of the beer purity laws.  Should be a good session!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Nuremberg

D'oh , how could I forget  , we also went to Nuremberg  and I echo NV's comments about it

The zeppelin fields are a bit run down ( just a concrete stand and some weeds  unless they have renovated it since I went )  but the museum near by has some fascinating info about the whole WWII era and the war trials  ,one of the best  I've been to   .... and the old town nearby was very picturesque ...

We went from there to Leipzig via Colditz   ...  try and get there if you can , it's worth it just to hear about the French escapees who tunnelled down through the stairway and came out in the wine celler , whereby they sat there and got drunk and forgot about escaping  ( I really hope it's a true story , the tunnel bit is true if nothing else )

these posts are making me want to do another German road trip ......

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

Â